Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

Keeping Pets safe when Interior Temps climb in RV

I am sure this has been discussed before on this forum, but I thought I would bring it up again to see what folks are doing today to keep their pets safe in their RV when going out sightseeing for a few hours.

Here's my story: A few years back we went to Newport, RI to do the mansion tours. It was mid-July and temperatures were in the mid-90's. My worst fear came true as we were set up in a campground with the motorhome, and took the toad touring to see the mansions. We left our 2 Golden Retrievers back in the coach for the bulk of the day in the a/c while we went mansion touring.

Sure enough, we got back to the campground, and it had an electrical failure local to the campground. The electric was off upwards of an hour.

When we returned, the interior of the coach was scratching 90F. Luckily the dogs were OK, as the temps were just starting to climb.

So here's my question to the pet owners in the forum: Is anyone using any kind of temperature alert system that will alert you when you are away from the RV and the interior temps of the RV climb unexpectedly, such as in the event of a power failure?

I am interested in installing some sort of temperature alert system which will notify me via my cell phone when 1) the interior temperature in the RV goes above a specified level (say 80F) or 2) there is a power outage in the RV.

So what are people using to guard your pets in this situation?

P.S. I did install an Onan EC-30 Auto Gen Start system. I'm looking for an active system which will warn me when interior temps rise, as a Fail Safe.

Thanks for your responses and ideas.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

We have a system called Marcell.

Very simple and will send an email if power goes out or temperature settings are exceeded.

We store our rig remotely and have a very special furry friend when we are camping.

We have only had it for 8 months but so far it has been awesome.
Conchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

May I ask what it costs to do the monthly monitoring?
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Community Moderator

This one has no monitoring fee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5912.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	553.9 KB
ID:	150979
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #5

We bought dog collars with GPS. They claim to have ambient temp sensors, but I dunno how they're used or what their implementation is. As a bonus, know where your dog is... Hellonuzzle.com I believe (nuzzle GPS collar, at any rate). They're not shipping yet, unfortunately (a saga in and of itself).
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Marcella is cellular connection. $8.95 / month. Temp Stick is wifi. No monthly service, but needs reliable wifi connection. Often hard to come by unless you have your own wifi network with cellular backhaul connection.

Simplesafe is cellular alarm system that has low temp / freeze warning and power outage warning, but not high temp. Would be excellent if they would add high temp and some granularity to the warning thresholds.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If you have AGS you could just program it for the generator to kick in when the temp rises above the threshold.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:32 PM   #8

Agree with Carefree. If your coach did not come with one I would research adding one. Most AGS can be tied to the main thermostat such that if there is no power and the thermostat calls for A/C the generator will start. It will run for two hours (selectable) and turn off and wait to see if there is another call for the A/C.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
If you have AGS you could just program it for the generator to kick in when the temp rises above the threshold.
The OP says he has AGS. He wants notification in addition.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Agree with Carefree. If your coach did not come with one I would research adding one. Most AGS can be tied to the main thermostat such that if there is no power and the thermostat calls for A/C the generator will start. It will run for two hours (selectable) and turn off and wait to see if there is another call for the A/C.
The OP says he has AGS. He wants notification in addition.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
We bought dog collars with GPS. They claim to have ambient temp sensors, but I dunno how they're used or what their implementation is. As a bonus, know where your dog is... Hellonuzzle.com I believe (nuzzle GPS collar, at any rate). They're not shipping yet, unfortunately (a saga in and of itself).
Forgot to add, no monthly fee with these guys.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #12

This is what I use along with a hotspot from straight talk 1gig @ $15 a month.
http://www.acroflyer.com/images/Temp...e%20Sensor.pdf
Old 02-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We leave the windows open. It's always cooler inside than out because it's shaded. 90+ is pretty hot, but all the wild animals seem to survive. We seldom get over 100 here, and it's a dry heat. Just leave lots of water for the little beast.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Better to have the little guy uncomfortable than cooked because the power went out and I was out of cell range or the genset didn't start. At least he will be alive.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior