Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Labradoodles

We were walking our Hershey and Graham around the campground the other day when another camper stop to chat.The conversation turned to our labradoodles that were patiently sitting at our sides and she mentioned how well behaved they were while we were talking. Then she asked "which rescue shelter did you use to get them?" I responded we got them from a breeder who specializes in matching size, color gender and timing of the litter to each prospective owner. Each prospective owner needs to be screened before purchase, and the dogs are guaranteed to be free from all congenital medical problems.

Well I thought she was going to explode! She started to yell how we were adding to the overpopulation of animals due to our ignorance etc. etc. etc. I asked if she knew where rescue pups and young animals came from and she said "of course, they all come from homes where someone moved into a apartment that won't allow pets." I said "are you sure? Maybe you had better research that premise." She stormed off yelling something over her shoulder.

What on earth did I do wrong?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #2

Engaged in conversation with a fanatic who has watched way too many ASPCA Commercials

Our last 2 dogs have been rescues from a 'rescue organization' because we are looking for older Border Collie...BC/Mix and rescue organization has those available

Otherwise......we would go with a reputable breeder w/o hesitation

Fanatics/Zealots do not come with signs (which they did so I could AVOID) but once they SHOW their wackyness.......I'm DONE---see ya!
You got lucky....she walked away and disengaged (as she spewed her nonsense)

Ah life........so many coots/so little time to educate LOL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #3

Nothing wrong. She was venting because there are many dogs of all breeds waiting to be adopted from shelters. Some shelters only keep an animal for a certain time, then they unfortunately put the animal down.

We have 2 standard poodles. One we got from a breeder, the other from National Mill Dog Rescue. When we got the rescue, he was 18 months old. As a mill dog he had never been out of a cage. He didn't even know how to run and hopped around like a deer. He didn't know how to play with a toy or chew a bone. Our other poodle was 4 months old and actually helped teach him how to do everything. 4 years later our rescue is much better, but still gets frightened very easily and is very wary of strangers.

The dogs rescued by NMDR range from puppies to seniors. Most would have been put down. NMDR gets a wide variety of dogs including Labradoodles and all need loving homes. We didn't know about NMDR when we got our first poodle. Now that we know, we'll always get one from NMDR.

However, rescue dogs are not for everyone. Many have problems that require special attention and if a person is unable to do so it's usually going to be problematic.

People like the woman you encountered may automatically assume a rescue is perfect for everyone. That's not always true.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wacko's. 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I never knew one to take a holiday.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We were walking our Hershey and Graham around the campground the other day when another camper stop to chat.The conversation turned to our labradoodles that were patiently sitting at our sides and she mentioned how well behaved they were while we were talking. Then she asked "which rescue shelter did you use to get them?" I responded we got them from a breeder who specializes in matching size, color gender and timing of the litter to each prospective owner. Each prospective owner needs to be screened before purchase, and the dogs are guaranteed to be free from all congenital medical problems.

Well I thought she was going to explode! She started to yell how we were adding to the overpopulation of animals due to our ignorance etc. etc. etc. I asked if she knew where rescue pups and young animals came from and she said "of course, they all come from homes where someone moved into a apartment that won't allow pets." I said "are you sure? Maybe you had better research that premise." She stormed off yelling something over her shoulder.

What on earth did I do wrong?
you challenged her belief system and nowadays that's tantamount to murder. We adopted our beagle, Maggie, almost 6-years ago and are very glad that she came to live with us. If, when, the time comes we may adopt again but I get that some people prefer to deal with a breeder. Diff'rent strokes. Don't loose sleep over it. Some folks have lost or maybe never developed the art of discussion or the ability to disagree without being disagreeable. That last part is becoming more and more difficult these days.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
As others posted, you did nothing wrong. The problem was hers. Don't let it bother you. I am one who advocates for shelter/rescue pet adoption, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with honest/vetted breeders (i.e. not puppy/kitty-mill breeders....which IS where a lot of shelter pets come from). To each his own according to their wants/needs/preferences.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #7

We currently have two shelter cats, and we have had several shelter dogs. But our last shelter 'labradoodle' we called Vanilla, had medical problems. We ended up administering subcutaneous IV's twice a day to her due to a genetic problem with her kidneys. We did this while we traveled around this beautiful country of ours stopping at vet offices along the way for supplies. She only lasted 18 months.

That was when we decided to go to a breeder where the chances of that happening again were minimized. Our dogs are third generation labradoodles. Their parents, grandparents and great grandparents traits were known, and we got puppies who were 95% potty trained, socialized, and exposed to noises commonly expected such as lawnmowers, gunfire/fireworks, trucks etc when we brought them home. Shoot, I even trained one of them to point out pile of poop when I take the boys out to go 'poopy picking' in our one acre fenced in yard.

I guess I was just shocked at her abrupt change from "hi how are you doing" to "you low life...." in seconds.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We currently have two shelter cats, and we have had several shelter dogs. But our last shelter 'labradoodle' we called Vanilla, had medical problems. We ended up administering subcutaneous IV's twice a day to her due to a genetic problem with her kidneys. We did this while we traveled around this beautiful country of ours stopping at vet offices along the way for supplies. She only lasted 18 months.

That was when we decided to go to a breeder where the chances of that happening again were minimized. Our dogs are third generation labradoodles. Their parents, grandparents and great grandparents traits were known, and we got puppies who were 95% potty trained, socialized, and exposed to noises commonly expected such as lawnmowers, gunfire/fireworks, trucks etc when we brought them home. Shoot, I even trained one of them to point out pile of poop when I take the boys out to go 'poopy picking' in our one acre fenced in yard.

I guess I was just shocked at her abrupt change from "hi how are you doing" to "you low life...." in seconds.

Like I posted.......
WHACKO --Fanatic
Nothing you can do except be GLAD she walked away.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #9

My mini in the snow the other day.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #10

What do you call her/him? Great photos! How much does she/he weigh as a mini?
Old 12-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #11

His name is Oliver. He is on the bigger mini side at 25lbs.
Ok last pics,him camping with his sister Holly. A mini Schnauzer weighing 26lbs solid as a rock.
We just had to put her down last month at 11years old.
He still looks around for her.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #12

Your Oliver looks like our Hershey (Hershey Kiss). Hershey is a 28 pound 3 year old Labradoodle. Our other one is Graham (Graham Crackers) and he is a 25 pounder at 2 years old. They are step brothers.

Picture of Hershey and Graham watching "their" Traxxas Hoss 4x4 monster truck. If that truck even twitches both dogs are on it. So I have to make the truck get up and go before they can pounce! It is their most favorite toy of all time! The truck can go just just just faster then the two flat out labradoodles can go and it can be expensive when one of them catches the truck! At 3 o'clock every afternoon, sun, rain or snow you will see us out back running around the field till either the truck or the dogs give up. And the dogs never give up!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graham Hershey Hoss.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	875.8 KB
ID:	312147