Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
My dog cant climb stairs

I have a 12 year old lab who has a bad sprain on his front leg. This happend over the weekend while camping and I had to carry him in and out of the motorhome many times. This was no easy task being that he weighs over 90 lbs and of course I pulled a muscle in my back in the process.

Any ideas out there on how I might get him up the stairs with out breaking my back? Actually going down the stairs was alot tougher for me carrying the big lug. Im guessing Im going to need some kind of ramp.

Thanks

Steve
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:25 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many types of pet ramps available for animals that just can't climb or jump anymore. Just Google "Dog Ramps" Dog Ramp.com - Pioneers of the First Telescoping Dog Ramp. Buy Direct and Save! and you will find a large variety of sizes, types and prices.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We had a similar problem when Bailey blew out her back legs. The ramp would have been OK if it had extended all the way into the MH. The ramp we purchased would not extend far enough to get her all the way into the camper. We ended up using a body harness and sling to help her support her weight. It was tricky at times but we made it through both surgery and rehab periods.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I once tried to use a peice of plywood as a ramp to get our dog into the pick up truck but he was afraid to walk on it.

I love labs but next time around we will have to get a small dog because when im 10 years older there will be no chance of lifting 90 lbs up and down the stairs. I might need a ramp myself.

Doggy Daddy I checked out some ramp sites and found some good looking ramps but I think I will first try Tmars idea of the sling.

Our dog looks just like Bailey.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If a ramp is not practical, and hoisting the dog up into the RV is the method to be used, then it's a question of using the manual "Arm strong" method or an electrical hoist/lift. RV Lifts - by Coach Lift
I had the chair lift on my last RV for my 82 year old mother. (sits in my garage now) She sat in the chair and I swung her inside the doorway. It worked very well and was slow in speed as it operated on a worm gear. [I now have a Class A toy hauler].
A harness hook to secure a dogs sling can be made to adapt to the arm that raises the chair so to swing the dog inside and out of the coach. I suppose a flat board could also be fabricated for the dog to lie on while be manuvered in and out.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We used one of these for over 2 years to get our 55 lb dog (with a VERY arthritic back) up and down a flight of stairs 3/4 times a day. Worked great! Easy to put on and it helps to steady the dog as well as lift him. You can let the dog do as much work as he wants to.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753794

Oh! Did I mention inexpensive (read cheap)?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
They make a sling, but a large bath towel works well in an emergency. You still have plenty of effort but it makes it a lot easier. You can use two and it's even better.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
In the future a hoist might be the only way we can rv with our old dog. Ed I did try a towel around his mid section but I couldnt lift him. It was actually easier ( but not easy ) to put my arm through his front legs and around his chest with the other arm around his rear part of his belly.

Fortunately now he is walking a little better and can make it down the stairs with me holding a bit of weight off with his harness. Going up I still have to lift him.

He is getting old so I will have to prepare for the future ie. hoist, winch, towels ect....

thanks for the replies

Steve
Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #9

Smile I have the same problem

HI I have the same problem as you I have a 11 year old C. Lab and she has trouble climbing the steps, I am 70 year old widow and I get behind her and push her up , when parked at my sons I had a ramp but its too large to carry in the rv, I wish we had a answer it would have to be light and I guess foldable, as too short ,and its too steep and if its slipery thats no good either .
If any one has a good plan will you please reply
happy traveling, nice to meet you
NANCY LEE
NANCY LEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Nancy Lee,
I also had an aluminum ramp that was long enough for 3 steps. We used it when we stayed in one place for a few days (just a pain to dig it out of the bay) With the ramp and sling (towel) it was much easier. Dogs don't like open steps to start with and everything looked better to him with the ramp in place. We used it to and it easily held me (250).

If you don't have the strength, you will need some type of hoist with a sling. It would be expensive and I have no idea where to get one but that would be you answer.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #11

Our Basset Hound Shorty has a tough time with 3 steps her legs are too short.

We also have a small 3x3 i call a mini deck so she can get on to even reach the first step.It's kinda funny to watch her trying to get up she does get it but at times it takes a little while.
2005 Cardinal 35CKT,2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke,CC,4x4,5" Dual exhaust,Hypertech powerchip 111 stage,Firestone Airbags,25K Airsafe Hitch,125cc Yamaha scooter,250cc Lance Scooter.Basset Hound (Shorty).
Charles & Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a product for pick up truck owners and others called a "Pet step ramp"

I'm not suggesting you buy it, but you should Google it and check it out, you may need to design something longer for your use but that's the idea
Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Here.. and not to expensive.
http://www.dogramp.com/?gclid=CJPZhf...FRINDQodFy20oA
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote