Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Hi Everyone
I hope I'm putting this in the right forum...Has anyone come across protable fences for small dogs?
Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!
marian
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Hi Everyone
I hope I'm putting this in the right forum...Has anyone come across protable fences for small dogs?
Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!
marian
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again, we have 3 shelties and have 2 of the 4' high fences we got at either pet smart or petco, or maybe even Wally world. They fold up to 4' X 2' X 4" and work great for us. I want to say they were about $50.00 EA.

I also saw a fence made of 1" PVC pipe and the plastic orange fencing. The man said he got it all at Home Depot.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:32 AM   #4

Good morning, Any pet supply store will have outside pens, We have one that folds to 3' x 3' works great and Tori loves it! Shop around as prices range from $50-$80 for small size. We paid $45 on sale. good shoping.

Earl & Jan & Tori too

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:40 AM   #5

This is not answering your question but another method in case you are interested.
I bought a plastic covered cable, put snap hooks on each end. When my awning is out, I put this cable from one end to the other. Then have a pulley I bought at Lowe's. Small short lease with snaps. Our boy loves to have the freedom to move around and we like not having to hold the lease. Works great for us.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:34 AM   #6

Hi,
I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Others have talked about the plastic fences...many dog catalogs have them, but they are really the same as children's playareas. If you look in the childrens section of stores you'll find the exact same product for about half the price as you'd pay at a pet store.

2) As a former dog breeder I would NEVER recommend the electronic fencing sold. There are so many possible problems with them (and I won't go into them here) but your pets will be much safer in the play area.

Hope this helps?!
Kevin

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #7

I guess I'm kind of late to this party but, I 'd like to share with you what we do.

We bought three two-foot high metal, folding dog pens. Each consists of 8 folding sections, 2 feet each for 16 total feet.

This combined 48 feet allows me to run the fence from the front of my entry stairs (front entry) all the way to behind the rear wheels while encompassing any patio area well outside the boundaries of my 21 foot awning.

My 12 year old mutt is 65 lbs and my 2 year old is 35 lbs. They have never even tried to jump the fence.

Each pen folds up to a dimension of 24' x 24' x 4". All three store easily in a basement compartment.

At the time of purchase we paid about $70 each. I think prices have come down since then.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Let me chime in here for a brief comment. If you are looking for a way to leave your dogs out while camping, most campgrounds we have visited have rules about leaving you dog out and unattended. The dog is only to be out on a leash while you are out.

In a lot of wilderness areas, you will have native wildlife wondering through at all hours. Racoons, skunks and snakes. How will the city dogs react to such guest?

Before you set up the pen, best to check with the campground owner about any restrictions.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #9

Take a look at one we built for a couple of large dogs ....
We also built one for our shih tzu and chihuahua and it is only 30" tall and 3'x5' and works great .. we also carry it on the back of our 'C'

http://www.desoto.net/users/ed-andre...pen/index.html

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #10

Ken,

We decided upon the fence because we were tired of our two mutts constantly becoming tangled in the furniture while we sat on the patio and they were on long leads.

Now they roam within the fence at their pleasure, but only when we are outside with them.

I agree that most campgrounds have pet restrictions. Since we started using the fence, no campground has even questioned us about it.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Old 08-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lew, I know most pet owners are responsible, but we have encountered a few that dump the pooch in the pen and head off to do whatever and the poor animal sets an barks at every noise since he is in a strange setting. Did not mean to offend anyone, just make sure that the bases are covered.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #12

Ken,

No offense taken! Maybe my response was too terse. We get upset when we see pets left outside and unattended. And, worse, we are angered by owners who don't think they have to pick up after their dog makes a deposit!

I can tell you that we go through 4 to 6 poop bags per day! Every day!

But, it happens everywhere, some people just don't think rules apply to them!

Your remarks were 100% on the mark!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #13

Here is copy of text from our post in other topic. Hope it is helpful.

We travel with three small dogs.

We always carry minimum of four folding ex-pens that are 4 ft tall X 16ft long and when set up and connected they create a very secure fenced area about the size of our main awning.

I used a piece of chain link fence fabric to create a simple but effective barrier that goes behind our entry steps and connects to the edge of the pens and together the pens and barrier create a very secure area that our FurKids cannot escape from and wandering animals and kids cannot enter.

I can pull the pens out of "basement" compartment and have them set up in about 15 minutes and they tear down and store in about the same amount of time.

There is ample room for our camp table, grill, chairs and we can be with our pups without the need of leashes or tethers. We have a ramp that makes it easier for the "kids" to get in and out of our MoHo.

Most campgrounds have no problem with our having our fence and, of course, we never ever leave the kids unattended - that's not the purpose of the fence - and dogs love being able to go in and out and play outside in safety.
GoodLuck
JimAndCat
jimandcat is offline   Reply With Quote