Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 09:31 PM   #1

Pet Peeve

I frequently read about pet owners that travel with pets that are loose. We traveled and exhibited dogs for 30 years that were always crated. In a emergency situation I didn't want a 150lb or 10lb animal accelerated to the front of the RV because it is dangerous for you and them. At one point we traveled with 7 Newfoundland dogs, our kennel, and they were all crated for everybody's safety.

Currently we full time with 5 dogs, 2 large and 3 small. I am comfortable that in the case of an emergency everybody is protected. We did make adjustments by rearranging or removing furniture to make room for dog crates. When we are getting ready to leave the dogs seem anxious to get in "their" crate. Dogs are crated before slides come-in to insure nobody is squished.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

To me it's a joy to see properly trained and cared-for pets. I commend you! Every time I see a loose pet I want to thump the owner to get their brain working.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Agree. They don't seem to realize it isn't only about their pet's training it's about mine also. When their loose dog wanders into my dog's leash range and gets eaten it will always be my fault.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:40 AM   #4

Yeah, it's right. Training can make the dog better, but they don't get the realization that they are getting trained. But I think there are pets who are genetically weak. One of my friends has a pup who hates travelling. He felt really stressed while travelling. My friend had trained exercises with him to manage his stress level. He also tried some medications for anxiety release like CBD oil, Zylkene, benzodiazepine under the prescription of a veterinarian. Anyway, this pup has died two months before due to Kidney disease. He was a great loss for us.
Lawrence C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #5

Curious as to how you secure the crate in your RV? Otherwise, instead of a flying pet, you have a flying crate. I kind of think the flying pet is less dangerous for all.

It is amazing how well you can train dogs to get in their crates. Our last pair of springers considered their crates a place to escape and relax. While our current springer will get in her crate when told, she doesn't typically hang out there. Our cocker will get in her crate when she is feeling anti-social.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #6

While we are at it... I personally find few things more annoying than a dog that barks incessantly. Whether locked in the RV when the owners are gone or outside with the owners sitting nearby totally ignoring the disturbance, it is downright flipping rude to let your little snugglemuffins bark for hours at a time. (Four extended stops this year, all 4 locations the same). Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and have had several but I trained them not to be a nuisance. Like Cesar Millan says "there are not bad dogs, just bad dog owners". For the love of pete, PLEASE show some respect and courtesy to others!
GrumpyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:57 AM   #7

I also worry about people on the loose lol Recently I walked my two dogs and a small group of adults came up to me. One lady quickly just stuck her face in my white shepherds face and started flopping her ears around being nose to nose.

I gently pulled the dogs back and told them they should always ask before you touch any animal.(are people not taught this as a child) I then told her if she did that to the other dog (dutch shepherd) the outcome may have been worse, as she takes a minute to get used to new people and I wouldnt want anything to happen.

Both of my dogs are amazing but people can be dumb sometimes lol
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:09 AM   #8

We use one of these for our dog:

https://www.chewy.com/pet-hub-adjust...belt/dp/158820

It keeps him from becoming a missile while still allowing him to enjoy riding in the back seat.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #9

Just like a person, a dog, cat or other animal,
should be restrained in a moving vehicle.
All dogs should be leash while being walk.
For the safety of everyone involved.
Including the dog.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #10

We use a restraint for our dog when traveling.

It connects to the latch on a harness and to a mounting point for child seat in the back seat of our truck
Dog can sit up/standup/lay down

Prefer the harness vs clipping to a collar.
Emergency stop/accident dog restrained via a collar can get badly damaged or killed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:17 AM   #11

We put a harness on our dogs and have a leash or tether that we fasten to the seatbelt.

When I was a teen we had a dog die because she fell off the seat and injured her back when my mother had to stop fast.
Ask Ms. Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Ms. Lynn View Post
We put a harness on our dogs and have a leash or tether that we fasten to the seatbelt.

When I was a teen we had a dog die because she fell off the seat and injured her back when my mother had to stop fast.
That’s horrible!
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote