Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #1

Pets & Wireless Collars

My wife and I are new to RVing and have bought a 30' gulfstream motorhome. We have a dog and cat that we're raised together so that is not a problem.
My cat is not used to traveling and I know it will be an experience .
I was thinking of a wireless collar system. Has anyone tried them?8
Kenmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2022, 05:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmax View Post
My wife and I are new to RVing and have bought a 30' gulfstream motorhome. We have a dog and cat that we're raised together so that is not a problem.

The other day I had a beautiful dog come walking up with a wireless collar. Either the battery died or he ran right throw the boundary .
Old 05-28-2022, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmax View Post
Dogs, probably as you’re aware, are not much of a problem when traveling, but I would think that cats could be. I wouldn’t trust that collar system for security of my cat.

You may want to have a chip planted in the cat. A good harness and leash is what I would use and then train your dog to go look for the cat when it gets scared and runs off. Good luck.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most campgrounds specifically prohibit the use of wireless collars or electronic fences and require the pet to be on a hard leash. Many do not permit dog pens/fences as well. They also do not allow a pet to be tied outside unless you are out there as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We were talking about a wireless system the other day. We have a wired system at home. But we are not sure how you would train them every few days as you travel. I think we would have our dogs visiting the neighbors, which a few would not be pleased.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Most campgrounds specifically prohibit the use of wireless collars or electronic fences and require the pet to be on a hard leash. Many do not permit dog pens/fences as well. They also do not allow a pet to be tied outside unless you are out there as well.

Ken
This^^^^^

AS for the wireless collar.........
Is this something you intend to help keep CAT inside the RV?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #7

Kenmax-

We raised our last cat from a kitten. He never went through an exterior door unless he was in his carrier or in my arms on his way in or out of the motorhome (i.e., at the start or end of a trip).

We chipped him. When on the road, he wore a collar with an ID tag. Both the chip and the tag were methods to protect against loss should he escape out the motorhome door. In 30,000 miles of traveling over seven years, the cat never made a break for it.

The cat that preceded that one was used to flying out an open door. He would have been much more difficult to take RVing. He died before we started RVing, though, so we didn't have to test that assumption.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #8

A wireless collar won't work.

You cannot bury a wireless fence every where you go.

A wireless collar requires training the dog to the fence boundaries. That doesn't work when the boundaries change all the time. It would be cruel to the dog to be repeatedly shocked because YOU move the boundary all the time.

Every place that I have been that allows dogs (which is all the parks) has rules that say pets MUST BE LEASHED. They don't care that your dog is perfectly trained to stay with you. And they won't allow you to put up a wireless fence for a few days or weeks.

The last park I was in had some idiot who insisted his perfectly trained dog didn't need to be on a leash. My dog didn't understand why she was on a leash and the other dog wasn't. To her, all dogs belong on leashes with their pet parent attached. That is all she has ever known. Of course they idiot was told to leash their dog or leave. Leashing a dog is not just for the safety of others. It's for their safety as well.

Leash on a halter (use dog halter for cats so they don't slip those worthless figure 8 cat halters) and microchip any pet you take RVing. It has gotten a lot cheaper than it used to be. Unless you are trying to get rid of the pet. We get a lot of "forgotten" and dumped pets here. People decide they want to go to Mexico and discover thay have to quarantine their pets. That is inconvenient. So they dump the pet. The pet either gets taken to the animal shelter where it will be put down because the shelters here are packed full or the pet gets killed either by a vehicle or by the local wildlife. Or worse, the pet is picked up and used as a bait animal for fighting dogs.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote