Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #155

Pitbulls

A possible workaround if the dog is a pitbull mix is to see if the vet recording the breed in paperwork will consider designating as another type of "mix" other than pitbull. If the dog looks like it could have lab, then labeling as a "lab mix".
patbrown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #156

We would have to agree with Smokey3214 concerning the aggressiveness of a Pit. Pit's are only vicious when a BAD person trains them. We have encounter many, many good Pits. But to the OP's question we traveled roughly 15,000 miles last year and about 23 states. Most of the campgrounds we stayed at Pits were on the list.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #157

I was attacked and mauled by a pitbull 8 years ago. I was on MY property when it happened. I had to get 6 months worth of rabbis shots because the owner had no shot record. I also spent some time in the hospital. I was 46 at the time and I'm 6 foot 195lbs and in great shape. I was NO match for him. 2 weeks after it attacked me it attacked the owners younger sister. She needed reconstructive surgery on her face and neck. Her dad shot and killed the dog but did not test for rabbis.
I will NEVER let this happen to me again. If people would let there emotion go and look at the FACTS they would be out lawed! Stats are what they are.
zb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #158

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
I'm wondering if there's been any agreement on the percentage of campgrounds that have breed restrictions. My daughter is considering adopting a Pit Bull mix that looks very much like a Pit Bull. She's planning to begin RVing in the near future and it's a consideration I told her she should take seriously.

Can anyone give a good estimate on just how many campgrounds do have breed restrictions? She's not a rule breaker and won't want to lie, so we need to get a real number on how much owning this breed will limit her staying in various campgrounds.

I know it's not the breed, but the owners, and this one is very, very docile and sweet, but as we know, there are prejudices.
It is the breed and the owner both. Pit bulls have “kill” in their DNA. Owners can partially influence it, but those dogs can turn at anytime! I love dogs, but will never trust a pit bull.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #159

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I've been to many parks that limit the aggressive breeds. I fully support them in their decision.

What I find disturbing is a Pit Bull owner that defends their dog by sayin Chihuahuas are more aggressive. Show me a news article where a pack of Chihuahuas killed a child or an adult. I've never seen one. There are numerous Pit Bull articles that can be posted.
Yup
Old 02-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #160

I don’t want to add too much noise to an already busy thread, but here goes. If you travel in an RV, get a dog that has the temperament for the lifestyle. There are plenty of apologists for the Pit Bulls and mixes. I for one won’t be swayed. The first Pit Bull attack that became aware of was that of a little girl nearly killed by her uncle’s sweet family pet. It took 113 sutures to close the wounds. I used to work for the telephone company in various locations from in cities to rural areas, some quite desolate. In order to access the cables and other facilities, I encountered various hazards from animals. Among the critters were roosters, pigs and bulls. Ostrich and emu can strike terror in your heart. One day, a pet alligator snapped at my partner and I. One time I had a horse with and attitude come over to a pole that I was up on and kick it just to mess with me. It was no accident; he would look up to see what my reaction was. Dogs? Generally not a problem as most were just glad to have company. The exception is breed. I have been attacked innumerable times by... you guessed it, Pit Bulls. Unprovoked and in every in case I was able to escape injury by out maneuvering them and an equal measure of luck. Once I was treed by a pit up a pole in a back yard. The dog followed me through an open gate. Luckily, the home owner came home and I asked him to call off his dog. He went inside and came back with a gun and shot the dog. I told him that it was a bit extreme, but then he said, “That’s ok, he’s not my dog.” Twice in all the years working outside I was bitten by a dog. Once by a Collie mix and a mutt that was just curious and standing behind me and I backed up and stepped on his paw. I have had my share of ankle biters, but with my jeans and lineman’s boots, no harm. Nasty little buggers. Oddly enough, I have never had any problems with Doberman or Shepherds and other breeds that you would associate with attacks. Once I found myself in an unlocked yard with what turned out to be wolf hybrids; male and female with little ones. They were accepting of my presence and I did think they were odd looking at first. I did not know what they were until the girlfriend of the owner came to the gate and asked me how I got in. She told me that she was afraid of wolves. That’s when I knew that maybe that was not a good place to be, but I had already got the job done. Then there are Rottweilers. I have always kept my distance when they are at hand. I felt like they were looking for a reason. My last Labrador got attacked on the street by a Rottweiler and nearly killed. He was never the same after that; always afraid of strangers. Our current Lab was also attacked by a Rottweiler and again, lots of blood and a visit to the emergency vet hospital, he is ok. He is still his old self and likes to hang out with his doggy pals and humans too. He has traveled 80,000 miles and 43 states in our RV and has been accepted in all locations we have stayed, even the ones that have restrictions on size and breed. Still, with any dog, you have to accept the responsibility of ownership and know that any dog can bite. If you travel and you have to have a doggy companion, you should carefully consider the breed.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrown24 View Post
A possible workaround if the dog is a pitbull mix is to see if the vet recording the breed in paperwork will consider designating as another type of "mix" other than pitbull. If the dog looks like it could have lab, then labeling as a "lab mix".
And this is the reason many parks have gone to weight limits. You can lie all day and call your pitbull a poodle, but you can't make an 80LB dog weight 20 pounds.
Selfish people lying about their dog's breed and even enlisting the help of others to aid in their subterfuge just punishes the honest people. It isn't limited to lying about their dog's breed. Just look around most any day and you will see a number of people with so-called therapy dogs and dogs wearing obviously fake service dog vests. Unfortunately, those people paint all dog owners as irresponsible, deceitful and selfish. In response, businesses have to come up with policies and rules for everyone so that they cannot be circumvented by the dishonest few.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #162

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Any dog can go bad. The most common dog bites in the ER are from Golden Retrievers. Maybe just because they are more common, I don't know. Pit bulls were for generations, the dog of choice to babysit children. They got a bad rap in the '80s when gang bangers started brutalizing them and breeding only the aggressive dogs together. This could have been any breed but they thought the pits looked mean already.
Do you you have any data or proof of that?

When I look at the stats for aggressive behavior fatalities etc. Golden Retrievers do not even make the list. Heck even Chihuahua was responsible for one death.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...QaAvxyEALw_wcB

Besides; it doesn't matter if they got bad rap or not. The breed is by far and away the most volatile killer of humans than ANY dog. That is not only a Rap but a fact. If you think the Rap is bad sop be it; but the fact remains the same.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:48 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Count me as prejudiced. I got no use for a breed that was bred to fight and kill. I've been around many pitbulls and some are nice and sweet and some my officers had to kill (retired LEO).

I don't care how nice they are, I don't want pitbulls in a campground I'm staying at. Look around your average RV park and the vast majority of dogs are of the small harmless variety. We have two maltese/poodle mix that are not any kind of a threat. What guarantee do I have, if we cross paths with a pitbull, that my dogs won't be attacked? Am I guaranteed that the owner will be able to keep the pit under control at all times?

I do carry a gun and will use it on any dog that decides to attack. Tell your daughter to get a more people friendly dog that won't upset other campers.
Problem with your statement is it ignores the shepherds and other breeds who are more numerous in number and bite more frequently. No such thing as a dog that is unfriendly unless raised that way.

As far as breeds and aggression go, aggression is a term that is constantly misapplied to dogs and people alike, which we’re seeing propagated here.

I’d much rather be around a large breed that’s god a bad reputation than be around an actually aggressive small dog that starts a fight and dies in the process without receiving any blame for starting the fight, or keeps the whole damn park on edge with its bad behavior.

I Also don’t blame dogs who respond to negative stimulus with negative behavior, it’s the same thing humans do.
psyop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I've been to many parks that limit the aggressive breeds. I fully support them in their decision.

What I find disturbing is a Pit Bull owner that defends their dog by sayin Chihuahuas are more aggressive. Show me a news article where a pack of Chihuahuas killed a child or an adult. I've never seen one. There are numerous Pit Bull articles that can be posted.
That’s because those aren’t interesting and are frequently not reported.

The bitter statistics for small dogs is very high if you do the research, as others have.
psyop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
I'm wondering if there's been any agreement on the percentage of campgrounds that have breed restrictions. My daughter is considering adopting a Pit Bull mix that looks very much like a Pit Bull. She's planning to begin RVing in the near future and it's a consideration I told her she should take seriously.

Can anyone give a good estimate on just how many campgrounds do have breed restrictions? She's not a rule breaker and won't want to lie, so we need to get a real number on how much owning this breed will limit her staying in various campgrounds.

I know it's not the breed, but the owners, and this one is very, very docile and sweet, but as we know, there are prejudices.
We have a Pit Bull and love him to death. We traveled from Alabama to Utah last summer and was turned away from 2 campgrounds. So from then on we would tell them we had a bull dog. That seemed to work.
wendybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:22 AM   #166

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey3214 View Post
Anecdotes aside...the American Veterinary Medical Association rates pit bulls as among the least naturally aggressive dogs.

Some people just have problem with their own prejudices, be it dogs or people.

least naturally aggressive dogs.

What does that really mean? Do you have proof or link that support that statement? It is akin to those concerned about gangbangers in the street and someone says "gangbangers are the least naturally aggressive humans"

My research finds the American Veterinary Medical Association as and advocate against the large numbers of laws advocating against breed. In part because you can't always tell.

This is closest I could I find from AVMA
While the legal questions are mostly settled, debate over the effectiveness of such laws and regulations is not. Critics—who are many—say breed bans discriminate against responsible dog owners and malign select breeds as inherently vicious, a claim not supported by a 2014 AVMA report ("The Role of Breed in Dog Bite Risk and Prevention") that found pit bull–type dogs not to be excessively aggressive.

https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2017...ous-dog-debate

Okay now what is "excessively aggressive" meaning no death? If Pit Bull like dogs kill 30 persons a year, I guess it is true to not be much difference than the dog that only kills 1 person per year (Chihuahua)

Regardless; what is AVMA's solution if no breed restriction? Restrict all dogs or allowing the dog biting and fatalities to continue and just classify the victims as unfortunate souls?

In my view the laws, rule setc around breeds were common sense, to work work with all pet owners, where this is going to total bans in more places for al dogs which is not what the vast majority are seeking. In my case, I wish to know I can walk in Park without fear that a known dog that maim my kids or me might be nearby.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-18-2020, 12:27 AM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendybear View Post
We have a Pit Bull and love him to death. We traveled from Alabama to Utah last summer and was turned away from 2 campgrounds. So from then on we would tell them we had a bull dog. That seemed to work.
Well didn't that solve that problem?

and to think people were citing responsible dog owners as a factor.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:35 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Any dog can go bad. The most common dog bites in the ER are from Golden Retrievers. Maybe just because they are more common, I don't know. Pit bulls were for generations, the dog of choice to babysit children. They got a bad rap in the '80s when gang bangers started brutalizing them and breeding only the aggressive dogs together. This could have been any breed but they thought the pits looked mean already.
I don't know where you live, but they have been fighting dogs way before the 80's. I was born in 1940 and dogs and roosters have been raised to fight at least since then. Used to be a place in Ok. that the man staked his dogs out like they do in Alaska. He had about 20-30 dogs all raised to fight and all pit bulls or pit bull mixed. Cops finally got him shut down, thank goodness.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground