Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fluffy may be vicious 70 lb Pit Bull... but she don't bite :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
Pit bull owners who believe their little Spot isn't dangerous are the ones with the most dangerous dogs.
The fact that I have yet to see / hear any dog owner (especially a pit bull owner) to say yes he will bite and/or maim you if the dog feels provoked is basically all you need to know. But to a T every dog owner that after learning their dog did attack and injure/kill someone without fail always says they are sorry. i.e. I didn't know Fluffy would attack the little old lady trying to get back in her house's front door (see Scott's links)

I thought the links by Scott 3 were telling and with twist of irony as most of those pit bulls were in Georgia. I had my RV in Georgia once, but thank goodness we camped in Daytona Beach and then Birmingham in route back to Dallas. We have seen several people with dogs but none of the known aggressive breeds discussed in this thread.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well played sir. The pit bull owner that says her dogs were provoked thus starting the attacks should be arrested. Like having your gun in a juke joint lying on a pool table, but blaming a drunk for picking it up and shooting two people.

There are at least 2 incidences everyday in our neighborhood reported where dogs mange to somehow escape and roam free. I get it, it can happen to the best of us. What I don't get is the thinking when it is the owner of a dog that can kill. Don't tell me that little Toto can be aggressive too
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
I would say that in my experience, a least half of the campgrounds we stay at prohibit a subset of dogs, and the list always has Pit Bulls at the top - followed by Dobermans, Rottweilers, and other dogs that can literally kill you or your pet since their instinct is to go for the throat. While I am all for having these pets and rescuing them, and certainly most of them are harmless, I understand why they are restricted. I have talked with people who say their dog is nice and "sweet" around people, but later they aggressively attempt to attack our dog while we are walking by on leash. There are a LOT of dogs at campgrounds these days, and I have seen a number of the restricted breeds acting up in the campground (some of which are not supposed to be there), especially in the presence of our ****-Zhu mix or other people walking by with their dogs.

State Parks do not always enforce pet policies, but most private campgrounds do, probably because of insurance liability as mentioned before.

I know there are those who disagree with me, but dogs were selectively bred for specific purposes. I will never be able to keep a Beagle from chasing a rabbit, or our Aussies from herding our kids, or our Springer Spaniel from running after birds or jumping in the lake. With dogs bred for pit fighting or for personal protection, a killing instinct is ingrained over many generations and it is very hard to expect them to act against their instinct. Keep them at home or your training area = they don't belong in congregations of people with kids and other dogs such as at campgrounds or social events, even when leashed (I can't count how many times I've seen kids dragged around by a big dog on a leash, only to hear "Sorry, he got loose!"").

A related pet peeve of mine is also why people find it so hard to understand what a leash is for :-(
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #60

Alpine Owners Club
"A related pet peeve of mine is also why people find it so hard to understand what a leash is for :-("

Amen, or a poop scoop.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I would say that if she doesnt have a dog yet, dont get a pit bull or any dog similar, and save everyone some hassle.
How does anyone's dog, if well behaved cause you any hassle?
KC593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
"A related pet peeve of mine is also why people find it so hard to understand what a leash is for :-("

Amen, or a poop scoop.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #63

why cant you just say the dog is whatever else the breed is so if a pit lab mix, say it is a lab mutt, do you really know the mix percentage?

I have have lab mixes that had that big head and the dog is mostly a Chocolate lab that head sweetest dog we have love his buddy do
With any dog regardless of breed if they feel threatened will defend themselves
We have some rules when traveling. keep away from other strange dogs no sniffing of butts allowed, and a short leash for control and don't let any one pet your dog if they start to, it is hands off my dogs and I do not let my dog go by any other dogs,if might be the either dog that becomes aggressive or scared and then you have a problem.

Dogs do not like some other dogs and people, just like I don't like the posters that have no idea about dogs and behaviors but say Pits are dangerous, grrrrr well so is a Chihuahua nipping at your feet with those sharp little needle teeth
strangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #64

I think the Pits get a bad rap, they are taught to be aggressive by people and idiots, a well trained Pitt Bull is a great dog, people do not train the dogs they abuse them to be mean same with people your Daddy beat you and abused you then you might be as bad as the old man
Old 02-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The fact that I have yet to see / hear any dog owner (especially a pit bull owner) to say yes he will bite and/or maim you if the dog feels provoked is basically all you need to know. But to a T every dog owner that after learning their dog did attack and injure/kill someone without fail always says they are sorry. i.e. I didn't know Fluffy would attack the little old lady trying to get back in her house's front door (see Scott's links)

I thought the links by Scott 3 were telling and with twist of irony as most of those pit bulls were in Georgia. I had my RV in Georgia once, but thank goodness we camped in Daytona Beach and then Birmingham in route back to Dallas. We have seen several people with dogs but none of the known aggressive breeds discussed in this thread.
Come one you hit it on the head the key word was Georgia and low lifes that treat kids wives and dogs all the same... bad ask me how I know I got those type all around my farm
Old 02-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #66

Just FYI
Pit Bull owners successfully lobbied the Denver City Council who voted to overturn the 30 year ban on pit bulls residing within the city limits. The mayor just announced he will veto the bill. It will be his first veto in his 8+ years in office.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:01 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
All Dogs can be aggressive in the right situation. The difference with Pits come in their abilities, and structure. Fluffy the ankle nipper may break a little skin. But a swift kick will stop the attack, not so much with a dog larger and equipt with a larger more powerful mouth of teeth bred for that characteristic. Just ask anyone running from a police dog . I'm sure the owners all love their dogs and I've loved ours but realize they are a liability. So are your human kids lol
The bigger they are, the more trama , the bigger the liability.Parks and more important their insurance companies don't want the "risk" . They didn't pull that concern out of a hat, the claims they have had to pay dictate it.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:22 AM   #68

I personally have seen a families loving pitt bull attack a newborn as it was sitting in the carrier. Thanks God we were able to scoop the baby up. Very spontaneous mood change.
That being said would you trust your grandchildren around a Pitt Bull.?
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:43 AM   #69

In our home area pit bull attacks are common with 10-20 per year

Seldom a year without a death

Almost always 2 or more dogs involved and usually gentle supposedly

We have always had dogs and do now

However who really needs two or more pit bulls?

I rarely see pit owners clean up after them in public places

Do I want the camper next to to have two oit bulls? Absolutely not

There are so many dog breeds so why a known aggressive large dog to travel knowing this is going to be an issue?
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:58 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
All this is another reason to travel with cats. We've never been turned away because of our 2.5 cats.

What happened to the other half of the third cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
I was looking for a dog and checked my local Humane Society adoption pages. Yeah, I could adopt any of the roughly 80 dogs listed, IF I wanted a pit bull or pit-cross.

No thanks.

Little yelping "soup" dogs? Agree that they're annoying and seldom good-mannered and yes, they bite. My boss's mini-pin bit me twice (while he was there) and I told him that I'd kick his dog into the lake and call the police & my lawyer if bit again. Mrs Boss took dog to the house. Oh, and they have the invisible fence, which does nothing for the socialization of the dog. Little dogs need to 'prove' themselves; they know they're small.

Dog are not ornaments or fashion accessories, but they're not people, either. Between those is usually a dog that wants to be a part of your 'pack' and will respond appropriately to *consistent* rewards and punishments. That's up to the humans to provide... If you do, and your dog does not respond to training consider euthanasia. Seriously. There's another dog out there who will respond to, and learn from, training... but only if you're able to provide that training consistently.
What is a "soup" dog?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground