Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #99

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
I'm wondering if there's been any agreement on the percentage of campgrounds that have breed restrictions. My daughter is considering adopting a Pit Bull mix that looks very much like a Pit Bull. She's planning to begin RVing in the near future and it's a consideration I told her she should take seriously.

Can anyone give a good estimate on just how many campgrounds do have breed restrictions? She's not a rule breaker and won't want to lie, so we need to get a real number on how much owning this breed will limit her staying in various campgrounds.

I know it's not the breed, but the owners, and this one is very, very docile and sweet, but as we know, there are prejudices.

Just remember before buying a PB, they can be 'gentle, loving and intelligent", until they're not. The face of a two year old with ice cream around their mouth is about the same height as the face of a Pit bull.
Jautry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #100

....and that’s why the cat travels with us
RonandSueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #101

Also you are to keep it on a leash, pick up the stool and not allow it to chase the wild life. I have seen folks act like the rules don't apply to them. They often are evicted from the campground. But having a breed that is known to kill humans is not wise to have. Get a dog under 30 lbs. Usually that meets the requirements.
Carolbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #102

Such a terrible beast pit bull

Anunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyop View Post
This is a commonly spread lie by campground operators. There is not an insurance company around that prohibits dogs by breed. This is a policy choice, at best, not a prohibition by carriers.
My own private insurance,prohibits breeds and not my choice, theirs. So I think you are particularly incorrect with that statement.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
Pit bulls are great family dogs ....gentle, loving, and intelligent.....BUT many are unpredictable with outsiders especially other dogs.

Save your daughter, yourself and other people a world of grief and AVOID this dangerous breed.
I agree they can be good but unpredictable, At an RV park in Mo. our new neighbor bought a rescue pit great dog very friendly until a Yorkie barked at him, The dog totally changed he was going to kill the Yorkie. Don't blame the Yorkie every RV park dogs bark at each other. This was way past that.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #105

Tiffin Owners Club
It's not the dog breed, but people do not understand this.

We have two rescue labs. One was abused and fears men, especially ones with hats. He wears a muzzle whenever we are in public. Most understand this and leave him alone. If a kid asks about this, we explain that he was "bullied" when he was younger. The kids all understand what this means.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AGGRESSIVE DOG BREEDS.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	275335  
cvretis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #106

Pitbulls

We also have a pitbull as well as 2 other dogs. The websites for the campground will usually tell you if there are restrictions on breed. Ours also is a sweetheart. Most of them are. We have traveled across country with ours and have only found one park that absolutely forbid them and that was Tall Timbers KOA in Dayton, Ohio. But we found alternatives. Just plan ahead and you will be OK. You will find parks that will forbid them, but most we have been to just state that dogs must be well controlled, on a leash, and not left alone at the site or in the camper. I never lie, I always call ahead, and I emphasize that the dog is a sweetheart, will be carefully leashed and never left alone.
HavasuDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #107

A built in potential problem

Every time an owner of a pit bull that has caused damage or even a death is being interviewed on the news or you read about in the paper says the same thing. "WOW he/she never bit any one before".
About 5 years ago a family pet of 5 years killed a 2 year old child the dog had been around since the child was born.
Your daughter need to contact her property insurance carrier.
Many exclude Pit Bulls and even a couple other breeds.
Those breeds have a short fuse.
GOODFUNGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
I'm wondering if there's been any agreement on the percentage of campgrounds that have breed restrictions. My daughter is considering adopting a Pit Bull mix that looks very much like a Pit Bull. She's planning to begin RVing in the near future and it's a consideration I told her she should take seriously.

Can anyone give a good estimate on just how many campgrounds do have breed restrictions? She's not a rule breaker and won't want to lie, so we need to get a real number on how much owning this breed will limit her staying in various campgrounds.

I know it's not the breed, but the owners, and this one is very, very docile and sweet, but as we know, there are prejudices.
I think over half of the RV parks we have stayed at have restrictions on size and breed of dog allowed. Every one we have stayed at asks about any pets we have. We have been full time in our RV the last year and 9 months and stayed at many parks. We don't have any pets and none of the associated problems. In my opinion pitbulls are bred for fighting, not for companionship.
Steve578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
We got kicked out of a park in northern California a few years ago. Neighbors turned us in. Our Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie)( Minnature Collie) was chasing (nipping at there heals) the neighbors kids away from our MH. About the most vicious dog on the planet. Lots of warning about Sheltie temperament and kids out there. Pretty sure she didn't know how to growl. Your dog scares someone??? It happens. Have seen a few that where breed specific, hard to put a number on it. Guessing 10%, Ma & Pa parks mostly. Pit bulls are always on the list when there is a restriction.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #110

Ford Super Duty Owner
No room for pitbulls

I personally would object to camping within view of a pitbull. Why would anyone want to increase the odds of lawsuit because their sweet lovable pitbull mauled a camp neighbor's child. Not to mention a lifetime of guilt for a stupid choice.
wmcrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #111

My dad used to tell me years ago. “If you have to ask you already know the answer”. I am in a park with some long time occupants. They have a 35lb restriction. Now that is difficult to police. I like dogs but don’t have or want one.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #112

Pit Bull Restrictions

We do a lot of camping in Virginia mostly state and federal parks. They require pets be on a leash of a certain length and under the owner's control and attended. Lots of campers, I would say most, have pets with them. I personally think there is a liability issue to consider. Others will disagree I am sure but I was bitten last year by a pit bull mix while camp hosting and as sweet and protective as they are to their owners they are also unpredictable as a general observation in my opinion. I stay clear of them. The constant barking dogs left at the camp sites as you walk by don't do a lot for a relaxing getaway but that is a different story. There are lots of sweet and well behaved pets as well and what are you going to do as a pet owner that likes to camp.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground