Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #211

And this is the basis for this post about pit dogs. "You" fear unnecessarily, so you force your will on others. Cocker Spaniels bite more than any other dog, but they are ok in campgrounds because of fear mongers like you. You should fear them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
You're missing the point. You know your dog is harmless, not everyone will know that.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #212
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
And this is the basis for this post about pit dogs. "You" fear unnecessarily, so you force your will on others. Cocker Spaniels bite more than any other dog, but they are ok in campgrounds because of fear mongers like you. You should fear them.
The fear is not unnecessary and I did not suggest banning any dog from any campground nor did I single out a particular breed.

I suggested keeping dogs on a leash. That's not fear mongering that's suggesting dog owners consider the fact that while you know your dog is harmless the rest of the public encountering your dog might not know that.

Who would you like to decide which dogs should be exempt from a leash?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
The fear is not unnecessary and I did not suggest banning any dog from any campground nor did I single out a particular breed.

I suggested keeping dogs on a leash. That's not fear mongering that's suggesting dog owners consider the fact that while you know your dog is harmless the rest of the public encountering your dog might not know that.

Who would you like to decide which dogs should be exempt from a leash?
How about the guy that says we all need to carry a gun. Lets just shoot any dog not on a leash. That will settle it.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #214

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This was just posted to our Neighborhood Association. It happens every day at least 3 times per day. These are all good Neighbors and not criminal types; but with the number of pet owners it is bound to happen. The poor souls walking and jogging the streets, or at the local parks are at the mercy of whether these dogs will be tame or not? Yes it is sometimes Pit Bulls and the dreaded Chihuahuas Bites happen way to much. We carry firearms but you can't just shoot the dogs unless on your property for self defense. Best thing to do, is call Animal Control and go inside until all clear. But it is scary for elderly and little children.

Key takeaway here, is that no matter what, the dogs will get free sooner or later. It is disasters in wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	275660  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
My uneducated guess would be 25 % or more. I have no basis for this info, other than I have been at a lot of campgrounds. My estimate could be low, it could be high. Many restrict dogs over 70 lbs in general as well. Considering how difficult it is getting to find rv parks due to the numbers of rvers, why handicap your ability to find parks. If they haven't gotten the dog yet, why not consider one that doesn't affect their ability to find quality parks. Most dogs you see are 30 lbs and under, although I have seen great danes and St. Bernards in rvs before. Labradors are quite common, and always seem well tempered for a larger dog. Many parks list, "no aggressive breeds", which could be interpreted to include many dogs. I guess it would also give them the means to evict you if your dog acts aggressively, regardless of what breed it is.

I would guess more like 50% of privately owned campgrounds will not accept "aggressive" breeds, based on our traveling experience. Those that have restrictions usually state it is "aggressive" breeds that are not allowed. This allows them to choose how they will enforce the rule.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #216

Comparing pits to muslims now.....jeeezus.....come on peeps.

Somebody lock this thread down....It isn't going anywhere.

To each his own......
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #217

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Makes me wonder what else you have prejudices for it’s all about the owners and common sense yes you must train and teach your pet that’s any pet we have two pitties that we take with us everywhere we travel and have had no issues. However this where common sense comes in if you have an 89 pound pit your not going to let a 50 child walk it no matter what. It’s sad to see there’s folks out there that’s so narrow minded. I spent 1/2 million dollars on my coach and I’ll don’t need to be around folks that have these prejudices. So happy travels.
Lockman1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #218

I keep trying to look away...

If you have a dog, keep it leashed when in public. Good fences make good neighbors and if your dog is in my yard, your dog is trespassing. Train your dog and be consistent with rewards for good behavior and punishments for bad behavior. Train your dog to not bark incessantly.

If you dog shows signs of aggression after training, consider relinquishing that animal to another trainer or if bad enough, euthanize it.

The old "your right to free expression stops when your fist is proximate to my nose" applies here. Your "right" to own a pet of your choice ends when it infringes on another person's right to "quiet enjoyment".

And yes, this topic is done, stick a fork it it.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #219

This just was posted on Fox News-watch the video. I would love to know why this dog attacked.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...e-video-church
Roadgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #220

Ford Super Duty Owner
To be sure, there are bad pit bulls AND bad owners out there. I once had the attitude that every pit bull was a bad one, but my DW got hooked on watching the tv show Pit Bulls and Parolees. I initially didn't watch it because of my attitude, but eventually I did watch it and it changed my mind. There are actually a lot of good ones out there. Most seem good natured from the get-go, some are shy, some are wary but become friendly when someone shows kindness, some are standoff-ish but respond well to rehab, some tale a lot of rehab to lose their inability to socialize, but most interestingly, I haven't seen even one on the show that could not be rehabbed into a kind, loving pet.

Another conclusion I've come to is how similar the pit bull and gun controversies are. Broken down to the bare basics, its about fear of the objects (a dog and a gun) and owners (responsible and irresponsible). The very basic problem for society is when, if, or how, we can trust any of those elements to any safe degree.

I'll readily admit I don't have any answers, but it most assuredly needs to be discussed - civilly.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #221

RE:Pit Bull Mixed breeds in campgrounds

I will first say...I agree that it is generally the people/owners/previous owners and not the 🐶. Also any breed can and will bite. We have a snagged too the Shorkie who needs his time to come to you or you could get nipped. He thinks he is a big 🐶 and will stand his ground with dogs who come up to him and do the general 🐶 greeting.

But at our last campground, an undeclared pet, who by admission of owner should have been inside , muzzled and restrained if out side. Attacked our 8 pounder. The owner jumped in and shoved his whole arm into his dogs mouth to break his grip.
This happened just two weeks ago. We nearly lost out pet to shock before we could get him to a vet and on its, antibiotics and pain meds. Then he had to have surgery.
He was fortunate and had only one puncture in the groin, but was bruised all along his rib cage.
Many $$$$ later we have him on the mend. This wS a bad 🐶, trained to bite people, who was rescued from a bad situation. The new owner was to keep him restrained and muzzled when outside.

Be careful when adopting. If a rescue pit or pit mixed know it’s entire story.
Slpenquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #222

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadgypsy View Post
This just was posted on Fox News-watch the video. I would love to know why this dog attacked.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...e-video-church
Thanks for sharing. I bet the owner has all kinds of reasons to explain what happened and how sorry he is. He did not know; and this has always been a good dog. (blah blah) But you know what, it is lie. Any pit bull owner knows how dangerous their pit can be, they simply view the risk of their animal being in this video as so small that accept the risk on behalf of other innocent suspecting children or elderly. Notice that this cowardice dog ran right between two adults for the little girl. Kudos to some brave bystanders. Could have easily been a helpless mom and later a dead child.

Now my view of the justice. I am glad the owner was arrested, I could tell if the owner was guy in yellow coat or not? If so he also is / was coward. But you know what... this dog did not have to be Euthanized. This dog had no business being on a public street. It is NOT the dogs fault that they have owners that insist they are safe to be around children in public parks campgrounds etc.

The answer is simple, but unfortunately more people will die and be maimed before common sense (civility) eventually prevails.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #223

Since there are many posts in this thread about how docile Pit Bulls are compared to chihuahuas intermingled with posts about how people will just use their guns on dogs they think are being aggressive, let me tie the two together.
Chihuahuas and other small dogs are kids with waterguns. Yes, they shoot people frequently with their waterguns even when those people don't want to be shot, but seldom do they die. Labs and Collies and all the other dogs that sometimes nip at strangers are the BB guns of the dog world. They can hurt you, perhaps draw blood and even put out your eye on a very rare occasion, but once again you live to tell about it. Pit Bulls on the other hand are the .44 magnums of the dog world. Maybe not as many people get shot by them, but those that do suffer grievous harm.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #224

"Another conclusion I've come to is how similar the pit bull and gun controversies are."

This is very true. Here's an example:

Let's say I take my rifle, and I empty it of bullets. I remove the firing pin. The gun cannot shoot. It is completely safe.

Then I walk along the road of a campground aiming the gun at people I pass.

Do I have the right to expect those people to "suck it up and get over it"?

Do those people have to accept my actions simply because I know that the gun cannot fire?

I'm not causing those people any risk whatsoever when I do this, but they cannot know that - even if I tell them it is so.

That's how those of us who have reason to fear a dog attack feel when confronted with a large dog whose breed has been named as a risk. You might know that we're safe - but we don't know that.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground