Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #1

Pit Bulls and Campgrounds

I'm wondering if there's been any agreement on the percentage of campgrounds that have breed restrictions. My daughter is considering adopting a Pit Bull mix that looks very much like a Pit Bull. She's planning to begin RVing in the near future and it's a consideration I told her she should take seriously.

Can anyone give a good estimate on just how many campgrounds do have breed restrictions? She's not a rule breaker and won't want to lie, so we need to get a real number on how much owning this breed will limit her staying in various campgrounds.

I know it's not the breed, but the owners, and this one is very, very docile and sweet, but as we know, there are prejudices.
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Pit Bulls and Campgrounds

I don’t think there is any reliable source for hard numbers on this and many other things other than random opinions. ( of which hang on ... you’ll get plenty !) don’t have a animal we travel with currently by choice but while I have seen restrictions infrequently I don’t pay attention.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

A lot of Camp grounds have insurance restrictions by breed. Does not matter how good or not. That's how they have to go, if ins. says no, then no.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
A lot of Camp grounds have insurance restrictions by breed. Does not matter how good or not. That's how they have to go, if ins. says no, then no.

I agree with the first two posters, and especially this^^ (insurance), as to if there are breed restrictions. The only generalization I can offer is that smaller, independently owned parks tend to have the restrictions.

A lot will depend on the type of RV camping your daughter decides to pursue. You are wise to alert her to the Pit Bull issue, but knowing of possible restrictions ahead of time, she can call ahead or go on line and avoid those problems.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #5

We have a pit bull/lab mix and no issues at all in any of the 20 or Michigan State parks we have brought along to.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would say that if she doesnt have a dog yet, dont get a pit bull or any dog similar, and save everyone some hassle.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #7

We have run across several campgrounds that stay breed restrictions, and Pit Bulls are always the first ones named. All breeds have bad actors, but I would suggest she rethink the breed choice if she is dead set on a dog. We travel with a lab, a dachshund along with two cats and never had an issue. Also, most RV parks now require you to declare pets, so ....... something to think about.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I understand, but is it "a lot"? That's what I'm trying to discern.
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #9

My uneducated guess would be 25 % or more. I have no basis for this info, other than I have been at a lot of campgrounds. My estimate could be low, it could be high. Many restrict dogs over 70 lbs in general as well. Considering how difficult it is getting to find rv parks due to the numbers of rvers, why handicap your ability to find parks. If they haven't gotten the dog yet, why not consider one that doesn't affect their ability to find quality parks. Most dogs you see are 30 lbs and under, although I have seen great danes and St. Bernards in rvs before. Labradors are quite common, and always seem well tempered for a larger dog. Many parks list, "no aggressive breeds", which could be interpreted to include many dogs. I guess it would also give them the means to evict you if your dog acts aggressively, regardless of what breed it is.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #10

Pit bulls are great family dogs ....gentle, loving, and intelligent.....BUT many are unpredictable with outsiders especially other dogs.

Save your daughter, yourself and other people a world of grief and AVOID this dangerous breed.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
Pit bulls are great family dogs ....gentle, loving, and intelligent.....BUT many are unpredictable with outsiders especially other dogs.

Save your daughter, yourself and other people a world of grief and AVOID this dangerous breed.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
vanman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #13

We have always camped with German Shepherd Dogs. The only breed restrictions we were confronted with were many years ago in Florida and Alabama. Unfortunately, given today's litigious society, I suspect there are more campgrounds whose insurance require breed restrictions (with Pit Bulls at or near the top of the list).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
I'm wondering if there's been any agreement on the percentage of campgrounds that have breed restrictions. My daughter is considering adopting a Pit Bull mix that looks very much like a Pit Bull. She's planning to begin RVing in the near future and it's a consideration I told her she should take seriously.

Can anyone give a good estimate on just how many campgrounds do have breed restrictions? She's not a rule breaker and won't want to lie, so we need to get a real number on how much owning this breed will limit her staying in various campgrounds.

I know it's not the breed, but the owners, and this one is very, very docile and sweet, but as we know, there are prejudices.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post

Count me as prejudiced. I got no use for a breed that was bred to fight and kill. I've been around many pitbulls and some are nice and sweet and some my officers had to kill (retired LEO).

I don't care how nice they are, I don't want pitbulls in a campground I'm staying at. Look around your average RV park and the vast majority of dogs are of the small harmless variety. We have two maltese/poodle mix that are not any kind of a threat. What guarantee do I have, if we cross paths with a pitbull, that my dogs won't be attacked? Am I guaranteed that the owner will be able to keep the pit under control at all times?

I do carry a gun and will use it on any dog that decides to attack. Tell your daughter to get a more people friendly dog that won't upset other campers.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground