Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #15

Haha yeah I could see why you were looking forward to their departure. I don't want to be obnoxious to my neighbors but I'm not planning on it. I am going to do some testing with my own dogs to make sure it's workable for everyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We use the 24" size for Sophie. We take two sections where we can have our chairs inside it also. Of course she is never outside in it unless one of use is outside also. We also usually have a mat to set it on. This way we can watch for ants.

We also have this type setup at our permanent RV site. I will take a picture and post it later. This setup is 3 sections, an umbrella and 4 chairs on pavers. One issue I have come across is the bottom will rust after a while from the paint being scrapped off on concrete.

I got mine from Amazon.
I am so glad this forum was recommended I wouldn't have even thought of mats until I saw the bug bites myself. Any other pet mods you'd recommend?
rvrescuernch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philswrench View Post
Attachment 166502 our Danes love there screen room
I love the screens and that is something they are far more used to encountering. Was that a self-made addition or one that can be added?
rvrescuernch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #18

The screens are some that I bought at a dog show. I just attach them with clamps, so easy on and off. They are 9x9 and a heavier duty mesh, so they also provide shade. To anchor them at the bottom, I just put heavy halibut fishing weights on them. I tried clamping them to the fence, but if the wind comes up a bit, they tended to lift the x-pen.
An Charad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #19

My dogs are never allowed outside the RV without a human out there with them. As show and performance dogs, they are trained to stay within the confines of a pen from the time they are puppies. Yes, they could easily knock the fence down if they really wanted to, but they are quite content to lay outside in the shade and watch the nearby activity as long as they know their humans are out there to correct and pet them.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #20

New setup

As promised, here's a picture of the new (to me) RV with the xpen setup. I changed things up a bit to make it easier to handle as a single person. I cut the pen connecters down to 4 panels from 8 which made them much lighter for me to lift by myself. So now I have four 42" sections (one with a door), and 2 36" sections to make the pen. I also cut one of the smaller sections down to slide behind my steps so that the dogs can't escape that way and I can have the steps down. Be sure if you use this method, that you lock your steps to remain down when the fence is up.

Because this RV is so much taller than my TT and has an automatic awning, I have to use a ladder to hang the shade screens up. I saw on another thread that someone sewed velcro down the awning flap and down their shade screens for easier installation. I'm probably going to try that when I get to my winter quarters.

Best news of all...I'm retiring in 25 days!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-14-17Passenger side.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	171659  
Old 09-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #21

Stabilizing bars for fencing

An Charad what are the stabilizing bars that you used for the top of your portable fencing? Where did you buy them? I've tried to google search for them but am having no luck!
Thanks!
luvinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club

Name:	IMG_3524.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	178468Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3525.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	178469
We use a reflective cover over ours in the summertime. Also keeps the barking down. We found them at a vendor while at a dog show.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #23

We have 2 pens that we use for the rat pack (4 Chihuahuas) that camp with us, they are happy in the pens one will escape if She misses me and will come looking for me.
If we had larger dogs I do not think our pens would work. We bought ours at a critter auction for about $10.00 each, well worth what we spent.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #24

Are you using the term x pen generically (exercise pen that Midwest and others make) or a brand? I couldn't actually find any brand called x pen.

Also, do most use metal or plastic? I've used both over the years with dogs. For me, it's two standard poodles (fortunately, not jumpers, because they could jump 5' fences with ease).

I'm a new RV'r, but one of the RV parks I was looking at said no dog pens could be erected outside RV. Is that normal or unusual for that restriction?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Amazon. OxGord 8 panel wire fence. Works great for us.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
And we all follow the rule about no pets outside unsupervised, correct ?!?

As far as attaching something to the awning,
as you can see below, ours is quite high, so I asked a friend to bend some rod into a hook so I wouldn't need a ladder to tie down my awning... they are long enough so I can hook it over the end of the awning from the ground !

AND, they come in handy for reaching in to pull things from way back in the storage and under rv !

Have 4 of them since the last rv had 2 awnings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AwningCloseup.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	178860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arlington-20140526-00320.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	505.2 KB
ID:	178861