Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #1

Regarding cats specifically and boondocking

Does anyone ever let their cat roam when either inside during the day or outside when boondocking in an open space? Reason I ask is right now I have two cats. One probably won't make it all the way to the date that I boondock, but I have trained both of them to walk with me when I go on a walk and to come when I call them. I wouldn't let my older one out because she's really hard of hearing and probably wouldn't hear me if I called her (18.5 years old), but the 1.5 year old kitten comes running as fast as she can and leaves whatever she was doing behind.

Just curious if anyone has a story where a cat was let outside to roam by itself. I trust my kitty because she really likes me and will always want to stay close, but I would love to hear stories from people that have let their cat roam..
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We don't let our cat out because he's very wary of dogs.

All I need is having him climb up a tree, and me having to go after him!

He will come out and sit in a chair around us, but we never take our eyes off of him. If there are dogs around, he goes back inside.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #3

we've had a few cats during our marriage one of which would travel with us. she would walk on a leash with us but we never let her out unleashed. too many predators...stray dogs, raccoons, etc. your kitten may be trained but she's a tiny morsel on a predator's menu.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #4

Cats can spook doesn’t even have to be a predator. I just wouldn’t chance it. Cat collars that are not break-away can be deadly. A harness is best if you take them out. BUT I have never walked a cat on a leash so I would assume some take to it better than others. A laser pen back and forth across the floor (inside) is good exercise.
Cats are perfectly happy inside.
Best Wishes ~
Old 11-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #5

I've had more cats than I can count, and taking any of them camping never crossed my mind. Letting one run loose in a strange area is a terrible idea. Cats are notorious for doing whatever suits them, especially if they are startled.

Trained? We're talking about a cat, right?

Boondocking involves wild areas where wild things live, and many of them would be all too happy to eat your cat.

Cats are perfectly happy inside, and that's where they should stay.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
All of the previous posts are spot on. Keep them inside. Period.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #7

We found our cat "Phoenix" living under a cement block in a wash basin in an RV park in Phoenix, 3 years ago. To say the least he wasn't doing well and obviously had gotten separated from his owners or just left behind. His front paws were declawed. He only goes out when we travel if we have been at a location for several days. We are responsible for our pets. They are counting on us to be.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We boondock in places where a cat would be in danger from snakes, wolves, coyote, bobcat, lion, eagle, owl, just to mention a few. It can happen in a heartbeat.

Roaming cats, including domestic, also have a negative impact on bird life:

https://abcbirds.org/program/cats-in...ats-and-birds/
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking, cat