Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #1

Restroom breaks?

I'm new to RVing and about to take a trip with 2 dogs. Mine is a 60 pound lab and the other is my Mother in laws 26 pound mutt we rescued so not sure of the breed. Naturally we will need to stop for restroom breaks for our dogs every 2-3 hours. My Lab can hold it longer but not sure about the rescue.

My question is what do you guys look for in a suitable stop spot for this. Grass seems a must or at least something like a field or such. I don't like the idea of letting them get to close to any major traffic even with a good harness and leash anything could happen. The idea of going down some road that may not have a good spot to turn around pulling the toad also seems it could be challenging. Am I over thinking this? I'm a former airline pilot so having exit strategies compels me to think about this.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
noserider,
There is always a rest stop, travel center, Walmart, cracker barrel, etc to stop and let your pups out. We travel with three labs, two seniors and one pup. They can go longer than 2-3 hours, but my husband and I like to change drivers every couple hours so they get walked and watered. We've never had trouble finding a place...put your worries aside...have fun and safe travels.
Andi
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdsgone2dogs View Post
noserider,
There is always a rest stop, travel center, Walmart, cracker barrel, etc to stop and let your pups out. We travel with three labs, two seniors and one pup. They can go longer than 2-3 hours, but my husband and I like to change drivers every couple hours so they get walked and watered. We've never had trouble finding a place...put your worries aside...have fun and safe travels.
Andi
Andi

Thanks for the reply. The rest stops are generally right off the highway so I'll have to look closely at those. As for the other places you mention, my concern was they are mostly large parking lots with little or no grassy area nearby. What am I missing?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

If your traveling interstates use rest stops. They all have places to walk the dogs. If traveling state and local highways look for churches, not on Sunday's, or just about any large empty parking lots like small business, abandon gas station, etc.
We have stopped at several churches and the like to eat lunch and walk the dog. We have never even been approached by anyone curious as to why we were there.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

When I was a small child we were on a family vacation traveling across the country pulling a TT . We did this every summer. One year our dog got loose at a rest stop and was hit by a car and killed. I guess it left a pretty big impression on me so It's got me a little freaked out about stops near traffic.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Wherever you do stop, please be sure to pickup after your furry kids.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #7

We usually stop at truck stops when there are no rest areas. There is usually a small grass area nearby for our pup to do his business.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Even Walmart has grassy areas if you look around. Usually at the far back of parking lots. Never met a Cracker Barrel that didn't have several spots or a Sams.
I understand your your past experience and I'm sorry that happened to you, shows you how just impressionable young minds are.
One piece of advice is to walk them separately whenever you do walk them, might ease the anxiety level. We always walk our pup independently from the seniors....his energy level is too high sometimes!
You will get the hang of it and find it much easier than you think.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I DO think you are over thinking it

We never gave it a moments thought, just when we stopped, HE stopped...

we walked him around the perimeter of the pilot/flying J, the McDonalds, the gas station, the church parking lot, the walmart parking lot... heck, unless you are in the desert southwest weeds will grow anywhere there's dirt

besides, it they gotta go, they will go anywhere even on the street ! (Voice of experience when we took a wee bit too long to stop once! He didn't even make it to the grass!)
Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I DO think you are over thinking it

We never gave it a moments thought, just when we stopped, HE stopped...

we walked him around the perimeter of the pilot/flying J, the McDonalds, the gas station, the church parking lot, the walmart parking lot... heck, unless you are in the desert southwest weeds will grow anywhere there's dirt

besides, it they gotta go, they will go anywhere even on the street ! (Voice of experience when we took a wee bit too long to stop once! He didn't even make it to the grass!)

Ok. I'll quit thinking about it
Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

Good leashes or harnesses on before you open the door. My dogs are always with me. Most times we stop in rest areas but the girls go to potty anytime we stop. I make sure it is a safe exit from the RV for them.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #12

In Interstate rest areas just pull into the truck parking area. You can usually pull up to a curb so you can step right out the door onto grass. You won't have to worry about high speed traffic. Many truckers have dogs (usually little) with them for companionship, so you won't be out of place.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Great thread! We are also new to RVing. We have three Chihuahuas on-board with us. We just made our initial trip from Anderson, SC to Boston, MA to get the coach home. No Problems It seemed that every rest stop off the Interstate we stopped at had a dedicated pet walking area. Even when we stopped for fuel at Lov's or T/A's we had no problem finding a grassy spot to walk the "Kids".

Interestingly, noserider, we happen to have the exact same coach that you do!
CaptSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #14

We use rest stops or the grassy strips near Flying J's pumps or Wally World median grassy spots. I do pick up poo when they take a dump!

Some places are better than others but most rest stops have a fairly good sized "dog walk area". You've got to watch for land mines from dogs whose owners don't pick up the poo though.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote