Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
RV resorts with Pet Restrictions (B)

We have a 3 year old 100 lb. female Rottweiler. She is a graduate of obedience training and is not aggressive at all. We always have her on a leash. Never growls or gets aggressive with other dogs. In fact, she loves to play with all dogs of all sizes. A really good natured sweetheart. She loves to travel with us and we are thinking about snow birding next winter. As we travel, we refer to the Good Sam's Travel Directory to try to find our next stop. Problem is that many, if not most listings have "Pet restrictions (B)" which means our Rottweiler falls into the aggressive breed category and is not welcome. Once or twice we have called the campground with the breed restriction anyway and sweet talked the host into letting us in. Most threads on this subject say the problem is insurance. Maybe so, but what about all the other RV Parks who have no restrictions. Different insurance company I guess or is insurance just an excuse? How can some campgrounds get insurance and some can't in regards to aggressive breeds? I am wondering what others do who travel with so called "aggressive" breeds? Do you just book the site and don't tell them you have a pet that falls into the breed restriction and take your chances? Or do you plead your case and beg them to relax the restriction as we have done on a few occasions? Or do you just try to find campgrounds with no restrictions as we usually do? We really need some pointers because we intend to travel with our Rottie even if we aren't welcome in a lot of the campgrounds. Very discouraging at times. All suggestions and comments appreciated.
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel with 2 small dogs, and have never had any problems. In fact I never even thought about them not being welcome some where. I know about Chow Chow's not being welcome and also Pit Bulls, but never heard of Rotties, being black listed. I am sorry for you to have this problem, because they are family, aren't they? I hope you find more welcomes than denials, in your future travels.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Hi Parkers,

We have dogs that also fall under most CG breed restrictions (pit bull mix) and they too are very friendly.

I don't know if it's an insurance thing or not but we have been able to talk our way into most CGs. For those CGs that refused - if they don't want my business, I probably wouldn't want to be there anyway. May sound like sour grapes but there you are.

IMO, there are plenty of CGs out there where your Rottie will be welcome!
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

Tell them it is a mutt you adopted. ;-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear...."talk our way into most CGs" Worked for us once or twice, so I guess we just need more practice. If that doesn't work, I might just tell them she is a mutt, as CampDaven suggests. Better yet, maybe I can rename her "A Mutt", then I wouldn't be fibbing. Here A Mutt, here A Mutt.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
As an campground owner and r ver HONESTY is the best policy. You might pay for your site and be asked to leave for lying. We used to have a very friendly german shepard but some parks have breed restrictions. You should be able to find good parks that will take you. We now have a golden retriever but i still try to find parks that safe places to walk my dog. That can be a big problem.
Oregon Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #7

Our great Dane is sometimes referred to as a cute little lap dog.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Duck View Post
As an campground owner and r ver HONESTY is the best policy. You might pay for your site and be asked to leave for lying. We used to have a very friendly german shepard but some parks have breed restrictions. You should be able to find good parks that will take you. We now have a golden retriever but i still try to find parks that safe places to walk my dog. That can be a big problem.
I agree. I did not mean to imply that I was lying when "talking my way in". My point being that even though some CGs list breed restrictions, they may make exceptions if you can show that you will not create a nuisance.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I agree 100% with the honest policy. I was just kidding about renaming her A Mutt although I am starting to like the notion. I am really just looking for reassurance and suggestions on how to handle this issue. It sounds like "don't ask, don't tell" may be an option, but this may also be interpreted as a form of dishonesty or is it? I just want to enjoy my RV, my rottie and still sleep at night.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Tell them it is a mutt you adopted. ;-)
I'm with Dave here..... If your dog shows no traits of their restricted breed...... You mus t have one of those Heinz 57 varieties that only resembled one of those mean owner dogs.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
I'm with Dave here..... If your dog shows no traits of their restricted breed...... You mus t have one of those Heinz 57 varieties that only resembled one of those mean owner dogs.
Does that mean I have to change the 4" wide leather collar and spikes?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a long haired shepherd so we can get away with the Collie mix
Parks we have gone to really haven't bothered us as long as your dog is well behaved.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbZilla View Post
We have a long haired shepherd so we can get away with the Collie mix
Parks we have gone to really haven't bothered us as long as your dog is well behaved.
I am assuming you have a long haired German shepherd? Our dog is very well behaved too, but she still fits into the "Pet Restriction". There is no mistake that our dog is a Rottweiler and looks intimidating. I am wondering if you tell them up front or just go on and see what happens? I would hate to get set up for the night and then told to leave because I didn't tell them I had a Rottweiler. Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #14

We have been turned away three times, once we were all hooked up and settled, they made us leave! The 2 other times we were just turned away, at 5:00 pm and forced to drive another 50-60 miles to find some place that would take us. Our dog is a Doberman, that is coming up on 11 this May, has spent every winter, in AZ. at the resort we stay in. She has been around numerous other dogs, (this year, we have over 200 dogs registered), we have one of the biggest and best dog walks in the Valley. We have a Pet Association, and any dog that shows aggressive behavior, must be on a leash, other wise they are allowed to run.
Because of the problem with camp grounds, restrictions, before we left, I went to my insurance agency, and told them about having problems at camp grounds, turning us away, "because of insurance restrictions", I told them I wanted liability insurance on her. They informed me, I already have liability on her, she is covered by my household insurance. Just some food for thought, from now on, that's what I'm going to tell them, they have nothing to worry about.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Passed | 3 more »