Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #15

Our Lhasa-Poo is crate trained and won't go to bed until I open her crate for her at night. However when we travel she sits beside DW and looks out the windows until she falls asleep. She loves to ride in any thing that moves, even in our pontoon boat.
eldonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Our little dog isn't crated. He usually rides in the passenger footwell, but he's free to move about the coach to get water, etc.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We never did with our two dogs.
Now down to six cats and don't crate them either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
As a dog show breeder and owner for over 40 years I would never travel with my dogs not in a crate, car or especially an RV. The last thing one needs is a distraction adding to an accident.
No dogs are ever sold to pet homes without being crated. Dogs rapidly learn to travel in crates and it becomes their den home. Just as a child should be in a seat belt, a dog should be in a crate. I can't believe someone would even consider otherwise.
Ridgmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #19

Thank you all for thoughts and suggestions. I do find that when our dog gets anxious, i.e. 4th of July, New Years Eve, etc, he finds a dark corner of the house to hide. That is a sure sign that crating would be ideal for him. We can recreate that feeling in the crate with blankets over the side.

Also suggested above was to gradually introduce him to crating by taking him to a favorite park in his crate for the first few trip. Great idea!

We're fortunate that he is a small dog and a medium size crate will suffice and not take up too much room.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

D, L and J
DLoy1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My little Angie is a fart in a skillet and she prefers to travel in her crate now. She actually likes being in her crate and heads right to it whenever we get into the coach to go somewhere.

The other pups, Spencer and Susie, are very mellow and laid back and head to their floor beds whenever we travel for a nice long snooze. I don't crate them because they are never crated at home and never have been and don't pose any problems while we are traveling. Angie on the other hand is all over everywhere for about the first 30 minutes including all over the dash and bouncing up and down wherever she can.

It is definitely safer for them to travel crated. While I don't crate all of mine, I should be for their own safety, but don't for their comfort.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what works best for you!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In our Winnebago we took out a table, put 2 crates and used the table anchor bold to anchor the crates. Used a couple angled rods over the top.

We are having a dilemma with our DSDP. We did have a desk taken out for crate room but anchoring them down will be a challenge.

From a pure behavior standpoint, one of my GSDs needs to be crated for various reasons while the other doesn't. During some test trips without the crates they both did a good job of finding some place to "relax" for the most part but, again, the one that needs a crate would get restless after an hour or so.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #22

we always crated dogs when first gotton to home ....but after there socialization we never do...they are happy just sleeping at home when gone....but when i do go Yoshi always wants to be with me so i take him...at nite or when we are gone for even 12 hours our house is the same as when we left, be it camper or SB/// .. so its just comes down to if your dog is good or bad when you leave...if good there is no reason to crate...and when driving the same applies..our two Shiba's could not be any better in any situation we leave them or bring them....there is no right answer for the dogs only the owners trust...jeff
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If seat belts were not required I would still use mine. Anyone riding with me would use theirs. Secured pet crates are seat belts for pets. I can't imagine saying that I love my child so much, and they are so sweet and well behaved that they just don't need a seat belt. There, finally got it off my.chest. I wimped around it with previous post. Whether they like it our not it's the right thing to do for our kids - no matter how many legs they have. Free country - do as you please - just my opinion.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #24

Our Dachsund "hates" the beeping noise at start up while the air builds up. We wait for that process to finish to bring her aboard. She used to be a nervous wreck while travelling. We kept her right behind us on the sofa in her crate buckled in. We have since found she LOVES to sit with the passenger in their seat. No more shaking or anxiety
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy a Thundershirt, they really do work. Kind of like swaddling a baby in a blanket.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Buy a Thundershirt, they really do work. Kind of like swaddling a baby in a blanket.

x2

Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

Here's my Susie with hers on. They WORK!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-05_10-56-18_235.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	31632  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I travel with cats and they have discovered a location where they are safe and secure and when they see us getting ready they go there. AND STAY THERE. if I have to do a panic stop they are secure, no danger of "Flying kitties".

Now if your terrier has such a spot. Good for him but he won't fit where the cats hide.. The absolutly worst situtation would be if you had t panic stop and Puppy was resting behind the brake pedal.

Can't happen if he's crated. And that's my recommendation, crate.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #28

We crate 100% when in the RV. Here is a picture of our set-up.
1994 Brave 29RQ RV: Dog's travel accomodations

We bought the garage door style crates so the door raises into the top of the crate and out of the way when they are open. The seatbelts from two previously present barrel chairs fasten through the bottom of the crate over the tray, but under the cushions so the crates will not fly around in an accident.

We do a combination of crate (attached to the tie downs in our SUV) and seatbelt (when we don't use the crate) in our car at home. The dogs are not loose in a moving vehicle for their safety.

As soon as the engine turns on the dogs run to their crates and settle in. At first they wanted to stay on the bed but they quickly decided the preferred the crates when one time we didn't close a bedroom drawer fully and it moved as we started to pull out. Also on occasion we leave a map on the dinette or something else out that moves after we get underway. In an accident things could come out of the cabinets, especially if you roll. In the crates the dogs are protected from this.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving