Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2007, 04:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We currently have an 11 year old black lab and a cat. DW wants to rescue a 1 year old black lab to join the family.

Our pets are very quiet and well behaved and we can leave them together in the motorhome for a few hours without having to worry about disturbing our neighbours.

I wont leave our dogs in our motorome if they are going to bark.

I wonder what the chances of a one year old Lab being quiet and not barking in the presence of another dog and cat. hmmmmmm any thoughts?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We currently have an 11 year old black lab and a cat. DW wants to rescue a 1 year old black lab to join the family.

Our pets are very quiet and well behaved and we can leave them together in the motorhome for a few hours without having to worry about disturbing our neighbours.

I wonder what the chances of a one year old Lab being quiet and not barking in the presence of another dog and cat. hmmmmmm any thoughts?
Old 11-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:

I wonder what the chances of a one year old Lab being quiet and not barking in the presence of another dog and cat. hmmmmmm any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

My guess would be that the answer is "no". We have a 14yo German Shepard who is very protective but only barks when "necessary". She is the perfect traveling dog.

We rescued a German Shepard (she is now 3yo) that is a nice dog but she has "issues". Unfortunately, she does not like to be alone and will whine and bark when we leave her inside the RV. We have found that if we leave the ac or fan on plus the TV with the volume a little above normal it doesn't allow her to hear noises outside and this keeps her quiet.

I would suggest that some break-in period for the new pup would be a good idea before leaving it alone.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Steve,

IMHO, it has a lot to do with the dog itself, exercise, and training. We currently have two Border Collie rescues. As you probably know Border Collies are very very hyper. We have never had any problem with dog barking, at least none that we know of. One of the nice things about rescue (besides saving a dog's life) is that most are fostered for a period of time by the rescue group to evaluate personality, determine any possible psychological problems and many times, just to nurse them back to health. The fostering person can tell you a lot about the dog and its condition, both physically and mentally. You just need to tell them what you are looking for and if they have a dog that fits your criteria. A rescue group will tell you the truth about their dogs because they are trying to find forever homes, NOT homes that will be relinquishing the dogs back to rescue in 2 months. They can easily direct you to a dog that has hunting ability, herding instincts, or just a laid back boy like my Casper (Avatar). Right now we have a younger dog recently out of rescue, we keep him crated when we are gone while Casper has the run of the motorhome.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #5

We travel with our two Toy Poodles, Cassie (female)and Casey (male) brother and sister with apropriate "parts" removed !

They are very well behaved and have the run of the coach. Wouldn't leave town without them !

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...ovesCassie.jpg
Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for your input guys.

I have convinced DW to hold off until we get back from our next trip so this way we will have a couple of months with the new poochy to get aquainted.

ps did those toy poodles come with batteries lol...... DW loves them.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #7

Nope, no batteries. got them from an oriental pet shop ... Ad said, (are you ready for this ???)

Buy 1, get 1 flea.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
"Buy one, get one flea"... LOL!

We have added to our "pack" quite a bit over the past 2 years, and they all love to travel! I think the older dog (Cadbury the lab) has helped all the others "acclimate" to traveling in the coach. But I'm the wrong one to ask... apparently I'm a dog person...

Brenda, of...
Old 11-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Brenda how many do you have in the pack?

Steve of

Kathies clown
Old 11-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I couldnt figure it out by your signature but DW Kathie says you have four dogs.

wow!!! you are a dog person

Our Black lab Boomer has tons of travelling experience and hopefully he can rub off on the new one just as your Cadbury did. Boomer is 11.