Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Securing dog in RV?

We have a seatbelt harness for our dog, and are hoping to buy an RV (just waiting for the right used one) and while I know we can belt him in seatbelt spots, I was wondering if it seems plausible to have someone add a secure tie-down on the floor we could clip his harness to, to give him more options on where he sits? He’s a big guy (125lb) so I don’t want him to just be stuck on the sofa all the time since he won’t be able to lie down very well there.

I’m thinking something through the floor to something structural near the front seats? You can get stuff for boats where the clip point would be level with the floor surface instead of sticking up.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Don't see why you can't do what you describe. Having the do tethered is a good idea, safe for you and he dog.

We've got 2 large crates strapped down toward the front of our coach for dogs to ride in.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
We have a seatbelt harness for our dog, and are hoping to buy an RV (just waiting for the right used one) and while I know we can belt him in seatbelt spots, I was wondering if it seems plausible to have someone add a secure tie-down on the floor we could clip his harness to, to give him more options on where he sits? He’s a big guy (125lb) so I don’t want him to just be stuck on the sofa all the time since he won’t be able to lie down very well there.

I’m thinking something through the floor to something structural near the front seats? You can get stuff for boats where the clip point would be level with the floor surface instead of sticking up.
or just loop the lead around one of the seat pedestal.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #4

If lead is long enough to allow that dog options he will become a FLYING Object should you have an accident or have to do some HARD Braking

The idea of the seat harness is to keep them SECURED

IMHO ...bad idea on the floor lead
Harness him, crate him but whatever you do needs to secure him while moving
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
If lead is long enough to allow that dog options he will become a FLYING Object should you have an accident or have to do some HARD Braking

The idea of the seat harness is to keep them SECURED

IMHO ...bad idea on the floor lead
Harness him, crate him but whatever you do needs to secure him while moving
I was thinking we’d get the tether made from something like seatbelt webbing or climbing rope so that it is designed to handle a lot of weight/force and then it’d be just long enough for him to sit or lie down - with the design of his harness it’d be 1-2’ maximum. We could also have two tie down points installed and run a tether to each one to hold him more like a normal seatbelt would.

His harness is specifically designed to be used for belting dogs in and is crash tested (a lot of the ones in pet stores aren’t!) but it won’t do much good if it isn’t attached to something secure. In a normal car he mostly sits up in the backseat belted in, but l don’t want him to have to sit for hours and hours on the road in an RV. Our car trips are usually much shorter.

(He’s big so a crate that was large enough and sturdy enough to be useful for containing him in the event of a crash would take up a huge amount of room. I wouldn’t trust one of those collapsible ones - we had a previous dog with separation anxiety who peeled the roof off of one of those like a tin of sardines, if he could get it open like that I think in the event of any significant emergency stop or accident the weight of a 125lb dog would just demolish it.)

I primarily want to make sure that it should be possible to secure places to clip his ‘seatbelt’ to. I’d expect to have someone install them who has the tools and skills to secure to something solid, not just a layer of flooring.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I missed this before - by options I mean we can move him between clipped in positions when we stop. So when we set off he might be on a seat so he can see but next time we stop we’d move him to the floor so he can lie down comfortably when it’s just boring highway. Not so he can go from chair to floor to dinette on his own.

Tags
dog