Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2023, 08:20 AM   #1

Sick pets...

Had to cancel our two week camping trip. Our little 3lb three year old Pappy got sick a few days ago and we were supposed to leave today. Vet said blood sugar crashed and they don't know why? Anyway...having to stay home, medicate and take him back in a few days. Hopefully he doesn't have liver issues.
Anyway...thank the Lord it didn't happen in the middle of our trip. We will have to wait until Aug. when we leave for a few months...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2023, 12:16 PM   #2

We traveled FT for 7 yrs...........

Carried our DOGs medical records

Every town has a VET

Also used Banfield Vet Clinics inside PetsMarts.....medical records were computerized
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #3

Yeah...but our dog was in a bad state and needed fluids. No way I would take him on the road with the hope of finding a vet somewhere.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Yeah...but our dog was in a bad state and needed fluids. No way I would take him on the road with the hope of finding a vet somewhere.

Anyway...thank the Lord it didn't happen in the middle of our trip

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Anyway...thank the Lord it didn't happen in the middle of our trip

HOPE he gets better. almost nothing worse than a sic pet. we don't have emergency services here from 5:00 FRIDAY UNTILL 8;00 Monday. seems like thats when things happen, we had an 8 month old that got ahold of a tube of medicated skin cream. i noticed foam around her mouth and found the chewed up tube at her favorite play spot. google said fatal. i sat on the floor and held her until she died at 4 am that morning. i wouldn't wish this on anyone EVER it was horrible!
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Joyce always brings the folder with the medical records.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My wife is a vet tech and is very in tuned to the health of any of her pets.

Back in ~2008 she sensed that her Bull Mastiff wasn't right, took it for tests the whole nine yards but everything came back negative. Fast forward to 2009, we were on a trip to FL parked. In the AM the Bull Mastiff was sitting on the couch watching people walk by. And then she collapsed. Wife packed her into her van and was heading back to TN to the vet clinic she was associated with. Didn't make if far, stopped in Jacksonville and the Bull Mastiff was diagnosed with a heart tumor that had ruptured and filled the cardial sack with blood, basically stopping the heat. Emergency procedure was to pull fluid from the cardial sack but this was a short (very short) term fix. My wife decided to go to a friends house in Naples, I met her there and we made the hard (very hard) decision to put her down. This was hard decision, still haunts me for sure.

But the lesson is that if you think that there's a problem with your pet there probably is and do what you can.

Hope your pet gets well.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:23 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:

Every town has a VET

Also used Banfield Vet Clinics inside PetsMarts.....medical records were computerized
Great suggestion [Banfield Vet Clinics inside PetsMarts] - thanks for sharing!
rosebud1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:

Every town has a VET

NOT EVERY TOWN, we live in a town with 26000 pop. we have lots of vets but none are open from 5:00 Friday night to 9:00 Monday morning. NO emergency services.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 04:10 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We started full timing 2 weeks ago. 4 days before we took our cat to the vet as she was throwing up 8 times a day. She was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and prescribed medication for 2x a day everyday. It’s been 2 weeks and she’s getting sicker. Called a vet 80 miles from where we are to put her down. I’ve done this several times with pets and it gets harder every time
lanztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 04:45 PM   #11

We were prepared to leave on a 6 month trip across this country when our 1 year old Nilla got sick. After several test it was determined she was in kidney failure and would only last a month.....unless we gave her subcutaneous fluids twice a day.

Sooooo, we loaded up the RV and set out with a supply of IV fluids and all of the necessary supplies. I hung the IV bag from a upper cabinet, inserted the needle and she just laid there waiting for the fluids to drain. Our two cats would lay with her licking her face!

She would perk up and we set out to enjoy the day hiking. As we ran low of fluids we just popped into vets across the nation and bought more supplies. Our last few hikes she would poop out about half way and I would have to carry her on my shoulders the rest of the way. The 4th month she declined and she passed away in our arms.

A local vet had Nilla cremated, and we carried her ashes with us on the remaining trip. She is now interred out back in the woods she loved so much.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 04:46 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I am so very sorry. . .
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 05:14 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We were prepared to leave on a 6 month trip across this country when our 1 year old Nilla got sick. After several test it was determined she was in kidney failure and would only last a month.....unless we gave her subcutaneous fluids twice a day.

Sooooo, we loaded up the RV and set out with a supply of IV fluids and all of the necessary supplies. I hung the IV bag from a upper cabinet, inserted the needle and she just laid there waiting for the fluids to drain. Our two cats would lay with her licking her face!

She would perk up and we set out to enjoy the day hiking. As we ran low of fluids we just popped into vets across the nation and bought more supplies. Our last few hikes she would poop out about half way and I would have to carry her on my shoulders the rest of the way. The 4th month she declined and she passed away in our arms.

A local vet had Nilla cremated, and we carried her ashes with us on the remaining trip. She is now interred out back in the woods she loved so much.

So sorry to here about you kitty. I don’t think I would take a pet to the point of dying in my arms. I wouldn’t want them to that to me.
lanztek is offline   Reply With Quote