Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #15

Never was a fan of "designer" dogs. For an all around, friendly, cant go wrong dog - cant beat a Lab - pick your color. Biggest problem with a Lab is that they are everybody's friend and will go off with just about anyone. Great personality and very loyal. We just lost ours after 15 1/2 years. Now have a dachshund.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #16

Can’t imagine a Great Dane being on the banded list. We have had 3 Danes and they are by far the most laid back couch potato you can have.
But by far the best dog was a red Dolby. Sweet, sweet dog but hated riding in the rv. When we would pull in to a camp with a Doberman on the band list we would just let the people meet him and all was well.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
Can’t imagine a Great Dane being on the banded list. We have had 3 Danes and they are by far the most laid back couch potato you can have.
But by far the best dog was a red Dolby. Sweet, sweet dog but hated riding in the rv. When we would pull in to a camp with a Doberman on the band list we would just let the people meet him and all was well.
I am also surprised the Great Dane is on the list in some spots. Mastiff is on a few as well which I also find a bit surprising. The last place we saw Mastiff on the list a couple years ago Cleo was still a puppy and looked like a bloodhound so we just said she was one.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #18

My vote is go to a shelter or petfinder.com and look for an older dog. The crazy is tired, calm & likes to nap.

Breed restrictions are dog poop (pun intended). I have 4 dogs all very different personalities.

One lab is typical but hates rain, & male smokers.

Another lab loves people but is convinced other dogs are the devil. Excluding the other 3 in the house.

Pug Chihuahua mix who thinks she is a lab.

Corgi Papillon mix who is Napoleon reincarnated.

Goto a shelter, hang out for a bit & give it a try.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Hi, Although there are so many wonderful breeds I could suggest, I do not know a thing about you or your dog experience (Ok- you had a mastiff - I know that). The best recommendation I could give you was to buy a copy of The Right Dog For You - by Daniel Tortora. I've been "in dogs" for over 30 years and this is my go to help pick a dog breed book. It divides things such as guard dog vs. Alert dog - indoor activity vs outdoor activity, train-ability, etc. I love this book and recommend it often. It will help you match a dog to your life style. And that will help you, your wife and the dog have a wonderful family who enjoy spending time together! Good luck.

Not sure who said "Dogs do not make my whole life, but make my life whole" something like that. But so true!
MaureenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #20

We travel with a Lab always.
Never a question about her.
We also have a Pomeranian and he’s readily accepted as well.
We lost our Lab in the spring and by summer we got a new puppy.
We are crate training her and thankfully she doesn’t appear to be a barker.
They are easy travelers.
luvmypom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Goldie...yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Labs and Goldens are both friendly and approved dogs at CGs. Have had both breeds!
Never had a problem at any CG with either. Started with 2 Lab males, lost one and got a Golden female, lost her then lost our last Lab male. Never any problems at any CG around the country.
What he said,...traveled extensively with Goldie 105 lbs., and still with us border collie (13). Please look at shelter rescues accross the country you will find breed specific rescue canines. Thank you.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It has been a couple of years since our last dog passed away, and my wife and I have started thinking about getting another dog, and I would like your advice on best breeds of larger dogs for RV traveling.

Our last dog was a mastiff, though he was the runt of his litter at only about 120 pounds, and never traveled with us in the RV as he passed away shortly after we had bought our current coach.

Ideally we would like a large breed or giant breed dog again, but are concerned about rv park size restrictions. We also want a somewhat sedate breed, not one that requires lots of running and open space.

So in your experience, are there certain large breeds that RV parks tend to be the most lax about when it comes to "no big dogs" rules, how do they define "large dog"? etc.?

Thanks Ike
We have a labradoodle. He is a great rv dog, and does not shed. They come in mini, medium and standard. It is great not to have dog hair everywhere. Judy D
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #23

dogs

We have two black English lab sisters. English labs get big, 80 lbs each. We decided to purchase a toy hauler rather than trailer our motorcycle.

When we set up the ramp becomes their area. I purchased the 3' dog fencing for the ramp and for outside the rear door. They can come outside and be within the enclosure.

Have had no problems. Forgot, purchased a sidecar and the labs ride with us.

Like the others have said get the acceptable ones. Labs are very friendly and become attached.
lapdret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaureenB View Post

Not sure who said "Dogs do not make my whole life, but make my life whole" something like that. But so true!
My neighbor Dr. Don would say, ”People who don’t like dogs aren’t good people.”

We like big dogs too. Patty says Hannah is our last big dog. Pyrenees/St. Bernard rescue. I tell her cool, our next one will be a long hair GSD like our Kayla...Leonberger but it is about the same size.
However, if you want a lay by the campfire happy go lucky dog I would look at a Golden Retriever mix . Although, our Golden and our daughters had a dog smell
I don’t like Poodles, but they are smart and a Giant is pretty good size and no hair. I’d go for a Newf too as we are used to hair. Great Dane another lay around dog as others have said.
One thing to consider, and we have too, is that a dog ties you to the RV. I don’t trust our mechanicals or the campgrounds enough to go way for a day of hiking in hot weather.

We one time we’re sent to the back of the campground with our 16 year old long haired GSD. When out for a walk we came upon a Belgian Tervuren.
I called Kayla a Tervuren ever since that day. Don’t know why so hadn’t thought of that before😀
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #25

We are part time travelers with our fifth German Shepherd Dog, and the only places we experienced breed restrictions were in Florida and Alabama. However, I do look for "breed restrictions" when reviewing campground information.

For Isaac, our dogs loved sleeping on the Trek couch after the bed was lowered for the night. We suspect they thought this was a "cave"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
...Breed Restriction List are via Insurance Underwriters.
Roughly 14 breeds (including mixes)
  • Pit Bulls
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Chow Chows
  • Presa Canarios
  • Akitas
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Mastiffs
  • Great Danes
  • Cane Corsos
  • Siberian Huskies
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Wolf Hybrids
Weight restrictions we came across were 25# Max Weight and 45# Max Weight

But those restrictions are encountered at Private/Public CGs (Banned Breeds/Weight)

State/National & COE Parks do NOT have those restrictions just leash laws (as do all the other types of CGs)
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #26

Here's a breed I never heard of that we stumbled on. We picked this dog up from being killed crossing a highway in our local area. I took it in to see if it was chipped and rand several ads for FOUND DOG to no avail.

Anyway, it's a Husky / Shephard mix.

Probably one of the smartest dogs I have ever dealt with. She's two years old according to the vet and full-grown at 50 pounds.

I trained shepherds all my life and none has picked up commands like this dog. I train all my dogs with hand signals no voice commands. In two days this dog has learned sit by pointing to its rear end, lay by pointing to the ground. Stay by holding my hand up in the stop position.

https://animalso.com/breeds/german-shepherd-husky-mix/
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dogs in RV

We have a 36’ class gasser. We have had Great Danes our entire life and have traveled with one and both. Very well behaved, quiet and great companions.

Plus no one will ever stick a foot in your rig with you not being there.
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
YES...we have also during our FT travels

Breed Restriction List are via Insurance Underwriters.
Roughly 14 breeds (including mixes)
  • Pit Bulls
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Chow Chows
  • Presa Canarios
  • Akitas
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Mastiffs
  • Great Danes
  • Cane Corsos
  • Siberian Huskies
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Wolf Hybrids

Weight restrictions we came across were 25# Max Weight and 45# Max Weight

But those restrictions are encountered at Private/Public CGs (Banned Breeds/Weight)

State/National & COE Parks do NOT have those restrictions just leash laws (as do all the other types of CGs)

Look into 'Rescue' Dog Organizations for type of dog you want and for an Adult one.
Full grown and out of the puppy phase.

We had Border Collie/Mixes
Maggie from a puppy until 14 yrs old
She WAS our FT traveling buddy from the ag of 4 thru 11 yrs old
She was 78# so we came up against some of those Weight Restricted CGs.
Just went somewhere else.......not a big deal

Sugar was a 40# Border Collie/Spaniel Mix.....rescue

Now we have Dino......25# Border Collie/Beagle Mix. Also a rescue

We like Border Collies but need the Mix to chill them out a wee bit.
Amusing list. It seems to have little to do with the dogs that bite people. In my experience little dogs bite most. I’ve been bitten three times by Rat Terriers. Not on the list. Pit Bulls are one of the friendliest breeds when raised as pets. As all my GSDs ( German Shepherd Dog). They love all people.

Lists I find have the Lab at the top. Probably because there are far more of them than the other breeds. A list for insurance should divide by the number of dogs of that breed. So I don’t buy the above source.

I have settled on GSDs. They are sweet, very smart, and travel well. Their only downside is they shed. I won’t quantify the shedding as it is nothing compared to Great Pyrenees. They are nice large dogs too. But they are bred to bark at stuff and have an industrial strength barker.

We also had a mostly sweet Malmute her whole life ( 11 years). Also sweet with people but not the brightest creatures in dogdom. And definitely not favorable towards little white dogs...especially barkers.

My son and neighbors have had labs. Comments above apply.

Several people I know have Goldens. IMHO comparable to GSDs.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote