Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2023, 06:57 AM   #1

Tell me if I'm crazy for building a multi use van to bring dogs along

We've sold our 5er and bought a TT for several reasons. One being able to use the proposed van as a traveling kennel when visiting weirdos that don't love dogs .
It could also haul kayaks on the roof and the extra gear that will no longer fit in the smaller storage of a TT.
The dog area will have AC and heat supplied by a roof mounted dual unit that will have an external plug in like any other RV. A small generator will also travel for things like concerts too far away to leave them at home when electric hook ups are not available.
That unit will be able to run on 120 or 30 amp without burning up.
Any suggestions, experience, or guidance will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2023, 07:30 AM   #2

Little more details...........

Is the VAN going to be the tow vehicle for the TT?

What van/what TT?

How many dogs?
Crates mounted for travel?

Portable gen or mounted?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:38 AM   #3

Calling people names B/C they don't feel the same way as YOU about pets is not a very nice first post to be asking questions. Im surprised it hasn't been deleted..
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:17 AM   #4

Tell me if I'm crazy for building a multi use van to bring dogs along

Sounds like a great idea. We travel with dogs and find ourselves skipping some activities since there a places where they can’t go. We don’t leave them in the motorhome when we leave since they could bark and we aren’t those type of dog owners that let our pets impose on other peoples RV’ing experience.

My dream setup, if money weren’t an option, would be a nice diesel pusher towing a fully outfitted class B van. In concept, exactly what you’re building. Something with a generator and a AC/heat pump to keep them comfortable while we are out.

As for your project, I think you’d want to look at ways to insulate the van to help with the heating or cooling. Also, a remote temperature monitor, probably cell based, so you can get alerts if the temperatures goes outside of a safe range for the dogs.

And to Mr Ted, I think the comment about people who don’t like dogs was meant to have a humorous meaning, given the smiley emoji at the end. Many times things in writing don’t come off as intended. I applaud the OP for looking for alternatives to traveling safely with his pets and not just stuffing them in the trailer and leaving them to bark all day at camp as well as recognizing there are places where his pets aren’t welcome.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:28 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We are looking at to doing the same thing. My wife's Town and Country van isn't big enough now that shes hauling around an Anatolian Shepard and he has gotten to 140 lbs and needs a bigger crate.

She wants a high top van so she can stand and stack more crates in it. Either rear AC or an add on roof top with generator.

Unfortunately used vans are $$$ so we keep looking.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:29 AM   #6

We considered a similar setup. I could not find a van we liked with enough tow capacity to handle the size trailer we wanted.
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:31 AM   #7

I think a van would make a great tow vehicle. In addition to being dog friendly, you can outfit it with some minimal conveniences to make day trips more comfortable.

The only issue I see is that, in general, vans don't typically have a large tow capacity compared to pickups, but it does seem to have increased over the years.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Calling people names B/C they don't feel the same way as YOU about pets is not a very nice first post to be asking questions. Im surprised it hasn't been deleted..
At least his included a big smiley emoji () indicating humor
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:36 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
There’s only two people our dog doesn’t like, and yes, I’d consider them scary weird. (he and his wife are the epitome of nosy neighbor’s, complete with GoPro cameras on their bicycle helmets and have the HOA on speed dial)
Most dogs are a better judge of character than we give them credit for.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:20 PM   #10

Quote:

Aren't we the sensitive type??? World is much worse off with the death of sarcasm.

To the OP - Yup, since you asked , I think you're crazy...

But then again it's your money and I think people should be able to spend their own money however it makes them happy. Have at it. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to engineer a viable solution. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Aren't we the sensitive type??? World is much worse off with the death of sarcasm.

To the OP - Yup, since you asked , I think you're crazy...

But then again it's your money and I think people should be able to spend their own money however it makes them happy. Have at it. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to engineer a viable solution. Good luck.
Sensitive type ? Not at all. I just feel this forum is better then calling strangers "Weirdos" for not liking the same things they do. And yes i am a pet owner and animal lover and wish to apologize to others "since the op wont" for offending anyone who just doesn't feel the same way as he does. Trust me we are NOT all like that...
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Hardly my first post. You forgot the smiley face BTW.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Little more details...........

Is the VAN going to be the tow vehicle for the TT?

What van/what TT?

How many dogs?
Crates mounted for travel?

Portable gen or mounted?
Yes, it will be the tow vehicle, Chevy G3500 gasser. The TT is a Puma 30RKSS at 8800 GVWR.

Two dogs, crates secured, portable generator if no ac available.

I may decide to keep the dually as the primary tow vehicle and use the van as a daily. I'll have to move the trailer tomorrow for the new owner of the 5er to get it out of our driveway, I'll get the tongue weight of the TT then. The trailer axles weighed 6860 last week at a Cat scale but the place was very busy so I didn't drop the trailer and get back in line. I do have a tongue weight scale.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:46 AM   #14

Interesting idea. As we are also dog people, go for it!
2024 Brinkley G 3500 #39
2017 F450
Always in the Dawg Haus
MKwilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog, dogs