RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #15

Rocket is 17+ years old now, and has been traveling in our class A since we got it in 2011.
If we are packing the coach and he gets out he will be laying by the door of the coach, waiting for someone to let him in. We don't have to go looking for him. This is HIS camper. When we bring it home from storage he will tear around in it like a little kitten.

He is "chipped" but has been trained to know that he can only go outside if he has his "clothes" (+ tags) on. Rocket went deaf this last summer so we do watch him more closely. The DW even put a tag on his harness so people will know to make allowances for him.He will go by the coach door and paw his harness to indicate he wants us to take him out. He also walks on a leash. If he feels he is going to do a "real stinky bowl movement" he will paw his harness and yell loudly that we should take him for a walk so he can do his business outside! Real considerate cat.

He rides on the floor up front, between the seats. If he is hungry or thirsty he will walk back to the kitchen area and satisfy his appetite, even when we are moving.
His litter box is under the kitchen table and gets cleaned every day. If Rocket has to "go" while we are traveling he will tell us--in no uncertain terms--to stop somewhere.
We have had friends visit in the coach and they were amazed when Rocket came out from the bedroom. They never even knew we had him along! No smells!

Our coach bed is a Queen size but I made a PVC frame that has its base slid under the mattress and the top portion is rectangular and about 10" above the mattress so the DW slid an old sweatshirt over it and now Rocket has a "hammock" to sleep in at night. This lets him sleep above our bed, but with us, and gives us free movement on the entire bed while sleeping.
He loves his hammock and so I take it in to the S&B when not traveling, just so he can sleep in it.

NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #16

Not only the tops of the slides, make sure you have eyes on the cats when you operate the slides, they can get in the mechanism on some RV's and that wouldn't be a good ending. We travel with 3. One is a holy terror taking out to the RV, but as soon as the engine starts she's out and on my wife's lap. The other two are under the coach for the duration. We had them in the previous travel trailer as well, but MUCH prefer them in the Class A.

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitgirl View Post
Hi Everyone! We have 2 cats and are in the process of selling our home and buying our first rv. We keep changing our decision between a fifth wheel and a class A. The concern is moving the cats back and forth from the truck on moving days in the fifth wheel or losing living space in the class A.

Does anyone have cats in a fifth wheel? And if so, how did they adjust to moving them back and forth on travel days. Do you crate them in the truck?

We have found a fifth wheel we love but may not decide to buy it because of this problem.

Please help...
Our two full size cats have been traveling with us, 95% boondocking, for five months out of every year for five years in our 30 foot 5er. One very much prefers to travel in the fifth wheel and we are okay with that. He has a couple of secure spots where we know he won't be hurt on those bridge approach undulations that sometimes surprise us. He knows when we are packing to move and goes into one of those spots. The other cat does not care so we bring her up into the truck. Early on we would transport from the 5er to the truck in a carrier but soon learned that that was not necessary. We do have a sizeable carrier in the back seat and will close a cat in it while dumping or whatever when a door needs to be open, then let her out once we are moving. Sometimes she will go back into the carrier to sleep, but often is on top of it looking out the window. Or sleeping on the console between us. In the carrier is safer in case of an accident, but neither cat likes being in the carrier for more than the initial 10 minutes of movement.

The two cats don't get along very well, no fisticuffs but occasional verbal confrontations. A sharp reprimand takes care of that. The female is usually upstairs on the bed and the male is on a kitchen table or chair looking out the window or sleeping in or behind a recliner.

We have a small litter box that sits behind the passenger seat, about 8" deep x 11 x 16. It's a no-name near transparent storage box from Target. We keep about 2" of litter in it. It's often not used and when it is it's usually #1. If it does get a #2, we find a place to stop rather quickly to get the #2 into a baggie.

In the 5er a medium-sized litter box sits on a throw rug inside of the shower with the door propped open with bungies. It's open this way 24/7. Of course, the litter box comes out when we use the shower. The throw rug gets a shake-out now and then.

The female stays in the 5er. She'll sit at the door but won't go out. The male can open the screen door if we forget to engage the safety wire that I added. He has escaped a few times but luckily comes when called. Normally he goes out only if there is no risk of encountering dogs (and I'm with him). If a ranger might come by, I have a leash with me but otherwise he's off-leash and will stay near me. My longest walk in the woods with him off-leash was over a mile. Very unusual cat. There's some risk in the outdoors (rattle snakes), but he enjoys the outdoors so much I'm willing to take the risk.

We have a vertical scratching post in a corner. A 4" four foot long heavy mailing tube with sisal rope tightly wrapped around and glued to it. It's mounted to the floor with a wall stand-off at the top. A corrugated cardboard scratching thing is on the floor under the piano.

We don't travel when it's hot enough to need A/C. Though the 5er can hit 90 inside just from sun load when it's 80 out. Fortunately cat's have a tolerance for heat about the same as humans and 90 is generally okay with them. If you need relief from heat, the cat's probably do as well. They usually find a cooler place under a bed or similar but we do open windows and turn on a fan if need be, especially when leaving the cat's alone and not knowing how warm it will get. If you ever see a cat panting, it is severely overheated and needs a cooler place right away.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I suggest that the cat's character or personality could be an indicator on how it will act in a particular RV.

If the cat is a loner and not really affectionate, it may tolerate being alone while traveling in a fifth wheeler. On the other hand, if its really affectionate and loves being around its humans, then I'd bet it would be much happier in a motorhome.

We took our Nemo, a Tuxedo, with us last year on our Alaska to the Lower-48 and back. Going down was his very first long trip and he did yowl quite a bit the first day, but then he settled down and roamed our Class C, discovering all kinds of hidey-holes and other comfortable places to lay and sleep.

We relaxed our at-home rules about no jumping up on the kitchen counter and dining table so as not to add the stress of yelling at him and it seemed to work well.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #19

I second the advice on watching meow meow when operating the slide. I helped a couple frantically looking for their missing lap dog, it was gone from morning until after dark. They found him safe and sound inside the slide when retracting it. He didn't bark all day.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #20

Can you lose a cat in an RV .............

Our cat has gotten lost in the fifth wheel twice. Once it took an hour to find him behind some food stuff in the pantry. The shelves are deep and the packages hid him. DW reached in twice without reaching him and finding him. My longer arm did the trick.

Then just two days ago he was missing when we arrived at our destination. After 45 minutes I recalled that he was able once to climb over a partition between the basement storage area and the propane space heater area. I removed the panel and he wasn't there. Long story short he had been there but went beyond into the water pump area and through it and into the area behind a return-air grille (where I have a two gallon water pressure tank mounted). He had been sitting alongside that tank, probably laughing at us, for 45 minutes.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkx View Post
Our cat has gotten lost in the fifth wheel twice. Once it took an hour to find him behind some food stuff in the pantry. The shelves are deep and the packages hid him. DW reached in twice without reaching him and finding him. My longer arm did the trick.

Then just two days ago he was missing when we arrived at our destination. After 45 minutes I recalled that he was able once to climb over a partition between the basement storage area and the propane space heater area. I removed the panel and he wasn't there. Long story short he had been there but went beyond into the water pump area and through it and into the area behind a return-air grille (where I have a two gallon water pressure tank mounted). He had been sitting alongside that tank, probably laughing at us, for 45 minutes.

Humans and stupid dogs are so dumb sometimes. All they do is run around, going inside and outside always busy when they could be snuggled up somewhere sleeping. Nothing like a warm sunbeam to lay in, just close your eyes and let the world pass you by. Then humans suddenly want to find and disturb me for some reason or another. Calling me, searching for me, yelling at me "come out come out wherever you are". What do they think I am, a stupid dog that comes bounding to them whenever they call? Give me a break. You guys need to get a life like mine and just laugh at all the silly things humans and stupid doge do!

Now where was I? Oh yea, boy that sunbeam sure feels good on my face, and by the way, it's about meal time isn't it? Chop chop guys, come on where are my vittles, and don't you think you should clean out my bathroom box? It is getting a little rank in there. Geez Louise, do I have to tell them everything.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkx View Post

Agree with Bigd9 . . .

Your cat wasn't lost. He knew exactly where he was! The fact that you didn't know where he was didn't bother him at all. He ignored you . . . until dinner time!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Agree with Bigd9 . . .

Your cat wasn't lost. He knew exactly where he was! The fact that you didn't know where he was didn't bother him at all. He ignored you . . . until dinner time!
Very true. Though we do worry because he knows how to open the screen door and can get out if we forget to engage the second latch that I added (he can't reach it).

Tags
cat, travel