Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #1

Traveling with cats in a motor home

We have a cat and a dog who are great travelers. Our nine-year-old tabby goes into his hiding spot under the couch as soon as he hears the slide-outs come in, and comes out of hiding as soon as we stop. He's been an indoor cat his whole life, and doesn't even try to go outside any longer.

Recently we were adopted by a young cat who seems to have been outside most of his life. He's gotten to where he stays inside and sleeps most of the day and about half the night, but when he wants to go outside he gets very vocal and won't shut up until he gets his way. Therein lies the problem. How do you deal with that in a motor home? At home we do have coyotes to worry about, but at least he knows where home is. I'm afraid if we let him outside at an RV park he'd be gone, perhaps trying to find his way home. I had two cats each walk 15 miles to my old house once when I moved, so I know they have an incredible homing instinct.

Just wondering how y'all deal with your cat(s) when you travel?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #2

Rocket, our ginger tabby, is 19 years old, totally deaf since last year, and walks on a leash.
He knows, because we trained him, that he cannot go outside without having his "clothes" (harness) on and a leash.
Also, he knows he cannot go out at night.
We have had him since he was a little kitten in a county shelter so we have instilled certain rules in him. Not that he doesn't try to break them once in awhile.
One rule is that he cannot sit/be on the table. So, if there is a napkin or piece of paper the size of a postcard, he will sit on it and make sure ALL of him is "not on the table". The smirk on his face takes a great amount of effort on our part to keep from laughing at him.
You must decide who is going to be the alpha in your domicile. You or the cat. Once you yield to their wishes you have started the downhill slide to being nothing but a servant. Make up your mind. Either give in or demand obedience.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post

I'm afraid if we let him outside at an RV park he'd be gone, perhaps trying to find his way home.
RV parks generally do not approve of letting cats roam outside unless they are secure with you on a harness.

Even if the cat is spayed or neutered, it can run around causing other cats or dogs to get upset and react. They can hide in and around other campers' RV's which is not only a nuisance but dangerous for the cat.

Keep your kitty safe by keeping him/her in your motorhome.Train him/her to walk with a harness for adventure!
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:02 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
This is how we deal with our Maine Coon Cat’s demand to go out.....it’s called KittyWalk and he loves it. Easy setup and breakdown..takes up virtually no room in the basement.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5264.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	794.5 KB
ID:	295198
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
This is how we deal with our Maine Coon Cat’s demand to go out.....it’s called KittyWalk and he loves it. Easy setup and breakdown..takes up virtually no room in the basement.Attachment 295198
I've also seen some nice Catios homebuilt and premade that are nice.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips. We're going to try the harness first. Perhaps taking the little rascal for walks will help. He's just under a year old and full of energy, so I imagine he'll start to get more manageable before too long. Our 9 year-old tabby was a handful at that age too and now is content just to sit in a window and watch the world go by... not much different from his owners come to think of it.

The KittyWalk sounds like it's worth a try too, though I know he goes crazy in a cat carrier and is a pretty good escape artist.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:10 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Just beware...most any cat can slip any collar and most harness’.
The slippery devils collapse their shoulders in and back out of them with a little effort. Been there, chased cat.....
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post

Just wondering how y'all deal with your cat(s) when you travel?
I'm not a cat person, but, there was this thread: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f34/sudden-stop-71187.html some time ago that shares a cat experience.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-31-2020, 12:40 PM   #9

Dogs have owners, cats have staff...

Since I've been off work since mid-March, I've taken to a friendly orange/buff tabby that shows up on my front porch for kibble and treats. She's in pretty good shape and likes her chin and ears rubbed, isn't freaky about her tail (I can scratch the base of her tail without getting clawed or bitten) and she tolerates being picked up for 10-20 seconds at a time. I'm wondering if she was someone's pet that got abandoned because she should be pregnant by now.. so I suspect she was spayed.

I'm trying to get her comfortable enough to take her to the vet for a microchip scan and her shots and worming. She's a good kitty and if she sticks around, may become my RV companion.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:51 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
I'm not a cat person, but, there was this thread: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f34/sudden-stop-71187.html some time ago that shares a cat experience.

Take care,
Stu
Hilarious!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Hilarious!
jt
That's from more than 10 years ago and I almost pee my pants whenever something reminds me of that post.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-31-2020, 01:48 PM   #12

This comment is not exactly like you were asking about, but kind of is. We travel with two cats and two pups. Generally the cats won't try to go outdoors at all but we are always careful. The two young labradoodles won't go outside unless I give them the command.

The point I wanted to make was making sure your RV is safe for the pets, especially the cats. Those suckers can climb into the most dangerous and small spots. A few years ago we lost one of our cats and a day later I heard him making sounds where he was hiding way up inside the dashboard. Since that experience I have cat proofed the entire coach blocking access to places like dashboard, slideouts, under the bed cutouts for electrical and heating ducts. I have used pegboard, roller shades and special sliding partitions to block them. I also made them a covered ramp through our rear cloths closet so they can get up behind the rear TV where their 2 automatic feeders and a litter box is located.

Side note: Make sure you travel with their current veterinarian paperwork. We have been asked for it a time or to while checking into a campground. Once one of our cats became ill and having the paperwork helped get her care from a vet when we were 2,000 miles from home.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:36 PM   #13

Yravel w 2 cats. I have trained them to walk on a leash. I use a body collar so it goes under the chest and around to.the front , more like a harness, always was.afraid they d panic and squirm out of a simple collar. Has worked great last trip circumnavigated the nation. He has walked the grand.canyon, sat and playd on rewood stumps bigger than a vw. And so and so on. U r rite abot the schedule they create, sleep sleep sleep. Good luck. We use a wallyworld storage plastic bin rather than a normal sand box so they.cant pee over the edges.
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #14

Doing same, i use a popup screen room w a floor on it, throw in a couple folding chairs and hes happy as.a cat. A little fincky folding.back up but VERY efficient.
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, motor, motor home, travel