Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Socialization does have to be done up close. Even with our current distancing practices you should be taking them out to see new thing. Other dogs, people, joggers, or anything at a distance is great opportunity to work on getting them to focus on you instead other things going on around you. Teach them leave it, look at me, sit while they can see, hear and smell all these distraction.

Totally agree. We take them on a ride every Sunday. Hard to get out of the car anywhere with people. We’re restricted on any lengthy walks as one of our pups has panosteitis (a growing bones issue with large breeds, very painful when it hits) Doing what we can under the circumstances.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Keep in mind that after awhile you will become "nose deaf".

By that I mean you will become insensitive to the odors created by the dog and the cats.

Years ago we met a couple with a Great Dane. Couldn't hardly breathe the smell was so strong. And the DW and I have had nine dogs--so far.

Another couple has five cats in their coach. The odor is absolutely overwhelming!! Visitors don't even know we have a cat in our coach.

Lesson here? You have to be acutely conscious of your pets' odors and do thorough cleaning of the litter boxes (daily) and bathe your dog frequently or soon it will be difficult if not impossible to sell or trade your RV.

Yes, this is not our first time with dogs in the RV. But, you are absolutely right, The S&B is also affected. We shampoo rugs monthly, and cover everything they sit or lay on with something we can wash a few times a week. They are groomed regularly. I’m a super smeller, so I am sensitive to the odors.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #45

We live out in the country, so socializing the dogs is a challenge especially in these days. I gave our UPS and FedEx drivers each a box of dog treats and encouraged them to treat the dogs they meet on their routes. Now when fedEx or UPS come up the driveway the two pups are waiting at the gate. I showed the drivers what hand signals to use for sit/stay/come/down etc. No words are needed. The drivers have a ball and so do the pups. Most dogs will do anything for a small treat. (small treats are about the size of a pea. It doesn't take much)

During normal times, we take them to places like Petsmart and walk them around enforcing the command to sit when someone approaches etc.

As far as bad chewing, I would grab the pup by the scruff of the neck, as his mommy does, and place him in front of a rawhide or other chew toy. Then instantly reward them with a very small treat when they show the slightest interest in the chew toy. Over and over till he simply ignored my shoes or whatever and will go to a chew toy when the urge hits.

Training a dog can be a lot of work, and can be a lot of fun. Repetition is key. Same words, same reactions and same praise. Lots and lots of praise. Using a different tone in your voice for praise is also important.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #46

Update re travel with pets... if you also like to bicycle at parks, consider a pet trailer so your friends can follow you on your rides... see my post for our solution
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:22 PM   #47

We were blessed to have a 75 lb. Scobby Doo look-a-like who got to place his mark on trees in 49 states! Sadly, at the age of 16 he departed this earth and we elected not to replace him. But on the bright side, as much as we loved having a pet, we now find ourselves in a position to take advantage of opportunities we never had before. On several occasions we have taken unplanned cruises, airline flights and even a train trip. Being on the road without a pet does have advantages!

Bill
03 Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:06 AM   #48

Sorry to hear that you have lost your friend. But yes, not having the responsibility does have advantages. We’ve had our new pups now for almost a year and it’s been more restrictive than we remembered. (Also more destructive when we leave them, sigh) they are just now a year, Hoping they grow up soon and out of their mischievous phase.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #49

When we lost our last pup after 18 months of traveling and running IV's several times per day due to kidney problems, we didn't want another dog. But as time went by, the desire for a canine companion grew, especially in my wife. We bought a small puppy and enjoyed him so much we bought another. Now I can't imagine life without them.

However, at 2 and 3 years old, they are well trained especially while hiking, and walking around campgrounds. We were lucky as neither of ours were destructive. I give credit to the breeder who trains each puppy from birth to be companions and used to all noises us humans make.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #50

We rescued ours and have been working with them every day. They are large breed puppies. The day after we brought them home all of the dog trainers closed their doors due to Covid. Socializing them was a nightmare because of the lockdowns. Getting them on the road was helpful for socialization. Outside of California is way easier. They were 5 months when we hit the road in June and 9 months when we got back to the S&B. They are only destructive when we leave them alone, but they are getting better. We try to leave them a little everyday. Ours are great hiking dogs, getting better at regular walks. They’ll be great in another year, if we can survive it.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #51

We understand what you are going through. Our dog was also a rescue and for the first two-three years we referred to him as our "coke" dog! We got him when he was three months old (so the vet thought) and when we got him he was already returned to the ASPCA, twice! When we were told the dog was scheduled to be put down, we decided to adopt him and see what we can do. And OBTW, the vet also stated the life span of the dog would be under 10 years. After being booted out of obedience class several time we finally hired a professional trainer to work with him - and that really started the road to real recovery! To make a long story short - while it did take time, he turned out to be the best and smartest dog we ever had and he truly loved living the Rv life style! He lived to be 16 years old.
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #52

Adopting 2 8 week old puppies at the same time was a bit of a mistake. They are bonded and tend to pay more attention to each other than us. We have to train them separately and hope that we when bring them together that training sticks. It’s been a process. Professional training was the original plan, but in our area, they are all still closed down. They are good dogs and both smart, working with them daily on behaviors we want them to follow is a slow process. The separation anxiety is our biggest challenge. They will get there, it’s just taking a lot more time than if we could get professional help.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Our pups are 1 and 2 years old and very active.

It is a challenge to take them anywhere.

They love us and where we go, they go.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #54

Don’t misunderstand, love our pups and they love us, but getting two of them at that age at the same time comes with a unique set of problems we did not anticipate. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	314162

They are in the middle phase
Old 01-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Don’t misunderstand, love our pups and they love us, but getting two of them at that age at the same time comes with a unique set of problems we did not anticipate. Attachment 314162

As is my 13 month old short haired border collie. I take her for a brisk (as I can manage) 1-hour walk and she's just about warmed up for hyperactive play, while I need oxygen and a BarcaLounger.

We got her a few weeks before the shutdowns, so she only had two classes and essentially zero socialization. But I recently took her to a local kennel and day care for some obedience training and socialization, and she really like the few other pups that were there. She'll be going to doggy day-care there starting this week, once a week to start. More if she likes it, which I suspect she will. Very dog- and people-friendly, but just hasn't had the opportunities.

I need her to be as socialized as possible for travel with us, once things open up again and once we've been vaccinated and feel comfortable visiting my long-lost grand kids.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Don’t misunderstand, love our pups and they love us, but getting two of them at that age at the same time comes with a unique set of problems we did not anticipate. Attachment 314162

Very true! Even with our two Labradoodles at 2 and 3 years old, they bonded and do EVERYTHING together, even to the point if Hershey, the older one, poops, Graham will step up next to his brother and poop also!

I train ours together and apart. Mine are high energy dogs, and I need to burn that energy several times to get them to calm down enough to obey. I usually do that by letting them chase the remote control monster truck. That will get their tongues hanging out!

First thing in the morning the 'boys' and I take a walk to the woods behind the house and they do it with me "off leash". Plenty of deer and turkey's and it allows me to reinforce their training to come back and stay when the desire to chase and run away is so great!

Night time illuminated frisbee time is always separate. They will sit at the kitchen window watching their brother chase and retrieve the glowing frisbee in the dead of the night and bring it back dropping it at my feet for a repeat performance. Hershey can jump up about 5 feet to grab that glowing thing right out of the air.

https://www.chewy.com/nite-ize-flash...hoCxTwQAvD_BwE

While driving in the motorhome, both boys are in between the captains chairs buckled in with their own seat belts. We've done that since we brought them home at 9 weeks of age.
Attached Images

Tags
dogs, travel