RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #1

Traveling with Dogs

We have not started our RV life yet but are looking to within the next year or so. We will be three females traveling and were considering getting a dog to travel with us. Someone to make a bit of noise when someone is too close to the RV. We will have two cats traveling as well.

My question is - How hard/easy is it to travel with a dog? Cats are easy, as far as the bathroom is concerned, but what about dogs and late night potty breaks? It has been suggested that dogs are too much trouble on the road and that some RV/National Parks will not allow dogs at all. Have any of you found this to be true?

Thank you for all the info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #2

Up until this January, we traveled with 1 to 2 large dogs.Labs and a Golden in a class C. No different then in a S&B. Any stop, take them out. Morning getting up and night before bed. They get to know the routine and if they need to go out late at night, they let you know. The Golden would pull your blanket of the bed to wake you! Ours were not barkers so never a problem leaving them in the RV. Same routine at home or in the RV!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Just makes sure you get an Auto Generator Start system, ensure it can be set for temperature, that way if you have to leave you have a back up if park power has a power outage your coach will still be able to cool.
Have two big dogs and would not be without them.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #4

We travel with 2 dogs. Some things to consider.
Will the dog get along with the cats?
What will you do with the dog when you are away from the camper. Many campgrounds state that dogs not be left unattended at any time. We do leave our dogs in the motorhome while out exploring for the day. If left behind you must make sure the air conditioner is set to come on. An unattended barking dog is going to make you real popular in the campground and not in a good way. Dogs must always be on a leash when outside of the camper and should not be left unattended even when tethered outside. Some dogs will have separation anxiety. Somewhere on this site there is a picture of a dog with his head sticking through the hole in the exterior door he has just chewed through.
Not trying to discourage you. Dogs can make excellent travel companions but need to have the proper disposition and training.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Always clean up after your dog.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #5

We travel with 2 cats and a 2 year old Labradoodle dog. No problems at all. I take Hershey out for "night time potty" around 9 PM and he is good to go all night. All pets eat their meals at 7 am, and again at 6 pm by using automatic feeders. By setting a routine and sticking to it allows the cats and dogs to adjust and make life pleasant.

A bit more information, we have a area "off limits" to Hershey so the cats have a place to call their own. They all get along, but dogs and cats play differently, and there are times when the cats say "you are getting too rough for me" and they take off to their "safety zone" only to come back out when they feel Hershey has calmed down.

Any questions? Just ask!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #6

Been a dog lover all my life. We always had a dog with us. I prefer large dogs, so pfoo pfoo dogs just done do it for me. Camp hosted for 7 years and only had a few occasions of issues with dogs. A well trained large dog can be fun. If you have never had dogs, DON'T. Getting a dog for camping is kinda of silly.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #7

IMO, dogs while full timing can be a pain the butt sometimes. For instance, many of the parks we visit have asphalt roads. That leads to black paws which lead to having to wipe their paws off every time we walk them or the carpet gets trashed. Rain, argh. When we get that drizzle for a few days it is really a pain. Dirty, damp dog.

We started full timing 7 years ago with two big dogs. Both have passed and life in the MH got a lot easier. No having to walk them, no picking up poop. No road side pull overs for a poop/pee emergency stop. Things were sooooo peaceful, until.......Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0082.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	236329
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #8

I wanted to mention hiking. If you are into hiking while on camping trips , some dogs are a real pleasure to have along. Hershey knows some basic commands for hiking such as "People Sit" and he will go to the side of the trail and sit down until the approaching hikers pass, and "Car Sit" (a "car" is anything from a mountain bike to a ATV to a car or truck) where he will sit next to my left side, and "Tween" where he will fall instep right between Sharon and I.

He has alerted us to several dangers while hiking. On our last trip out he was "Line Leader" where he leads us on the trail. He suddenly stopped, went on alert and did a low gutter growl. It took me a while but when I looked up I saw a hunter in full Camo gear sitting in a tree stand!

So get the right dog, train them and have fun!
Old 02-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #9

Our previous set of dogs were in 43 states with us, in nine months of RV travel. We typically travel in cooler weather - October and November. The dogs stay in the RV when we do tours, train rides, restricted hiking trails, etc. They usually go along for towd exploring. We boarded them one afternoon - Carlsbad Caverns had boarding kennels and it was a hot day.

Do some training to make sure your pets are good neighbors - no nuisance barking while you are away, no nervous destruction of the sofa...

We never used remote security cameras, but I see great possibilities for watching the pets and observing interior temperature,
Old 03-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #10

Traveling with Dogs

Thanks for all the good information. I have had several dogs in the past so training would not be a problem. We were looking at a medium size dog, like a Keeshond. We do not want a hyperactive breed, one cat is a bit hyper now and it gets nuts at home. I will continue to ask questions. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #11

We have 2 doxies that travel with us. One issue was when the male got behind the grandson and tried to push him out of the car seat using his rear and front paws.
Okay the story is we were going south on I75 from Kentucky to Tenn. going up Jellico. All at once the boy yells make him stop. Wife looked back and Joey had gotten behind the grandson and was trying to push him out of the car seat. Joey, doxie, wanted a car seat. We bought a small car seat and put him in it behind the seat belt. He has gotten car sick in the past. But beating up a 6 year old for the car seat!!!
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
We have 2 doxies that travel with us. One issue was when the male got behind the grandson and tried to push him out of the car seat using his rear and front paws.
Okay the story is we were going south on I75 from Kentucky to Tenn. going up Jellico. All at once the boy yells make him stop. Wife looked back and Joey had gotten behind the grandson and was trying to push him out of the car seat. Joey, doxie, wanted a car seat. We bought a small car seat and put him in it behind the seat belt. He has gotten car sick in the past. But beating up a 6 year old for the car seat!!!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #13

Not to be overbearing but is your primary reason for getting a dog to act as an alarm? Or do you want a companion? If you basically want an alarm, then get an alarm of some type. A lot less commitment required than a dog.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #14

My wife showed me this one!
Attached Images

Tags
dogs, travel