Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #43

My wife and I started down the RV trail with a 24 ft. travel trailer that was perfect for the two of us and one 5 lb toy poodle. We were happy. Then the wife comes home with a 3 yr. old, 80 lb golden doodle she rescued. Now where the heck was I going to put that dog in our tow vehicle? So, naturally, I HAD to get a 39 ft motorhome.
jlmanatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
Our three border collies were one of the two major factors (the other being some health issues) in making our first RV purchase five years ago. We realized how much we enjoyed it and what exactly we want out of it, and upgraded twice in the first couple years. Going on three years with our Alpine now, of which our dogs have really taken over and have their own routines for.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #45

We started with a Class C on a Sprinter chassis. Queen bed. 2 Doodles. Moved up to a BayStar with a king bed 6 months later. For the Doodles. Now have a Ventana DP. For the Doodles. [emoji33][emoji23][emoji23]
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #46

Wow you are all nuts!
But then again so am i.
We bought our motorhome strictly for our pets. If that makes us nuts im ok with it.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #47

We difently bought ours for the pups. Our canine camper was so we could travel and not worry about our pups.Click image for larger version

Name:	0816190945.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	257193Click image for larger version

Name:	0816190947.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	257194
NrthGaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #48

After several phone calls about either the dogs barking or people worried that the short dogs were in a pop up without AC, we upgraded to a small TT.
As such, I refer to it as the "12K Dog House"!
Old 08-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought our camper so we could vacation with peace of mind, we took our 4 cats with us. We also had a pair of love birds that we left at home when we traveled, when one of them died we knew that Sunshine had to come with us, we could not leave her home alone. There was nowhere to keep here when we were on the road, and we now had 9 cats...sooooo we started shopping for a motorhome. We have 2 more rescues, so now we have 11 cats, but sadly we lost Sunshine last year. The cats do well when we head out on vacation-once we get them all in the motorhome! Half are no trouble at all, the other half take at least an hour to round up and get them in the carriers to be hauled out of the house! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerties 5 Hi Sunny.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	257968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cats in Bed! Coudersport.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	257969  

On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaureenB View Post
I am curious, guessing we can't be the only crazy pet RV people. After years of not being able to go on holiday together (couldn't leave dogs) we decided we needed to fix this. So we purchased an RV, and now take our two dogs and cat with us. Of course, we love RVing, but the true catalyst for the RV purchase was the dogs (cat came after). Anyone else? Or are we just nuts?
[emoji106] smart for us!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_195035960.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	257973
GNRVNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #51

Is security a big issue? I was going to get a Lhasa, and I was planning on boondocking so I would be alone with a cat and a dog. Should I get a more "vicious" dog like an Akita, or Rot?
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyropete View Post
Is security a big issue? I was going to get a Lhasa, and I was planning on boondocking so I would be alone with a cat and a dog. Should I get a more "vicious" dog like an Akita, or Rot?
A concern ....yes. A worry...no.

Our two labradoodles will alert us to someone in their safety zone. They won't bark if anyone walks out on the road near the coach, but if someone come close to the door whey sure will. Until they get to know the person, then it is all tail wagging.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
A concern ....yes. A worry...no.

Our two labradoodles will alert us to someone in their safety zone. They won't bark if anyone walks out on the road near the coach, but if someone come close to the door whey sure will. Until they get to know the person, then it is all tail wagging.
Yah normally not really fond of bigger dogs. I had 3 lhasas (2 left after my favorite died). They are pretty good sentry dogs, but they won't scare anyone with their bark.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #54

One of my labradoodles is 26 pounds and the other is 31 pounds. Not exactly big dogs.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
One of my labradoodles is 26 pounds and the other is 31 pounds. Not exactly big dogs.
Yah I have my other protection too hehe. I do not plan on selling those prior to going full time. Pokémon cards on the other hands yah, I will get rid of th9ose lol.. I think I will continue to go with Lhasas, they're so cute.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #56

Location: Land of high fuel prices and lousy roads; Kalifornia
Upgraded to DP for our dog

Our Labrador Retriever loves to ride in the car, but always hated riding in our Class A gas RV. Frankly, neither the wife or I were happy with it either. Being on one of the horrible Ford F-53 chassis, it was loud, squeeky, and bouncy. The dog would sit upright and pant the entire time we were driving.

It occurred to us that a rear engine diesel pusher would be much quieter and softer riding. So we bought one. Now the dog is completely relaxed and sleeps most of the time when driving.