Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #99

My .02 cents. Whenever I make a reservation I always get asked if we have any pets. If we do I tell them, don't lie to them. Now how would people feel if they did not tell them they have a inside cat and while they were gone sightseeing the cat was on the dashboard or someplace looking out and the park manager seen it. When the people come home there is a note taped to the RV asking to see you at the office. You go down there and the mamager ask you if you have a cat and you tell him yes we do and the manager says to you Since you lied to us you have 1 hour to remove yourself from this campground and you will not be getting any money back because you lied. I think that people would be very mad if that happened. Just tell the truth and if the say yes there is a extra charge then tell them thank you very much for your time but we are going someplace else because we don't agree with your policy. Then it is over and done and find anyother place.
parcany2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #100

Carolina Campers
When making reservations, we are usually asked if we have dogs not pets. I can truthfully say I have two small dogs (sometimes the weight is an issue). But I usually mention the indoor only cats. 100% of the time where we have traveled they are never an issue. They are only concerned about dogs.

Dogs must be walked, they poop in the grass (we keep poop bag holders on their leashes for a reason). The leaches never exceed 6 ft. I despise retractable leashes and my sister who is a veterinarian also hates them. And they can be unruly. Our cats do not do that. Yes, we put used litter in the trash bin but parents put poopy diapers in there as well. And there are many who prefer not to use their toilet for solids and put human waste in trash bags in the dumpster.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:06 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Think what you want, even though you would be wrong.

I have litter mats outside the two robots, the litter is cleaned automatically 6 minutes after being used and the bag is replaced daily. In an RV, sweeping up is easy b/c there's limited floor space and a cordless vacuum (which I use) is able to keep up with the flooring needs when used once per day.

All of the cats are fixed, none spray or mark territory - THAT is where the bulk of "cat smell" comes from, and from inappropriate elimination b/c people usually don't have sufficiently clean litter options for them. Normally there would need to be 1 box per cat plus one extra, but that is for standard boxes that aren't automatically cleaned so fast after use.

I personally am VERY sensitive to cat odors, particularly of the urine variety. My RV doesn't smell, and there have been people inside it who even have commented that they didn't know I had cats until one wandered in front of them.

Now the smells of their wet food - yeah, that is something that definitely exists and stinks twice a day. At least until they devour it!
May I ask where you place your litter robot? It’s pretty large. I’m stumped as to a good spot. Thx
IRBgigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcany2 View Post
My .02 cents. Whenever I make a reservation I always get asked if we have any pets. If we do I tell them, don't lie to them. Now how would people feel if they did not tell them they have a inside cat and while they were gone sightseeing the cat was on the dashboard or someplace looking out and the park manager seen it. When the people come home there is a note taped to the RV asking to see you at the office. You go down there and the mamager ask you if you have a cat and you tell him yes we do and the manager says to you Since you lied to us you have 1 hour to remove yourself from this campground and you will not be getting any money back because you lied. I think that people would be very mad if that happened. Just tell the truth and if the say yes there is a extra charge then tell them thank you very much for your time but we are going someplace else because we don't agree with your policy. Then it is over and done and find anyother place.
Exactly.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We use OutOfSightLitterBox.com box. Almost no litter gets out and we use a dirt trapping entry rug in front of the entrance.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:05 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Think what you want, even though you would be wrong.

I have litter mats outside the two robots, the litter is cleaned automatically 6 minutes after being used and the bag is replaced daily. In an RV, sweeping up is easy b/c there's limited floor space and a cordless vacuum (which I use) is able to keep up with the flooring needs when used once per day.

All of the cats are fixed, none spray or mark territory - THAT is where the bulk of "cat smell" comes from, and from inappropriate elimination b/c people usually don't have sufficiently clean litter options for them. Normally there would need to be 1 box per cat plus one extra, but that is for standard boxes that aren't automatically cleaned so fast after use.

I personally am VERY sensitive to cat odors, particularly of the urine variety. My RV doesn't smell, and there have been people inside it who even have commented that they didn't know I had cats until one wandered in front of them.

Now the smells of their wet food - yeah, that is something that definitely exists and stinks twice a day. At least until they devour it!

So to deal with the smell you had to resort to extreme measures with an automated system that encapsulates their waste into a disposable cartridge every few minutes so that afterwards the campground owner has to potentially deal with it.

I was looking into the automated pellet litter box that uses permanent composite plastic litter and a macerator with a water feed and sewer drain to automatically clean up after each use like a modified flush toilet for cats. I gave up on those since they needed to be placed with access to plumbing fixtures and either needed regular battery replacements or to be near an electric outlet to power them. Plus when the get jammed up you have an even more unpleasant task ahead of you to clean out the mechanism and possibly have to deal with overflowing macerated cat waste.

After having to deal with the plethora of cat ailments that seem to be occurring with higher frequency lately such as Toxi-Plasma (especially dangerous to pregnant women), feline dementia, feline hyperthyroidism, ash crystalizing in bladders, etc, etc, etc along with the high cost of dealing with those health issues due to special dietary requirements and extremely high VET bills I've gone to a no indoor cat policy. First thing I noticed was that my AC filters last much longer now.

Some don't stop to think about how a cats entire body gets cleaned by licking after a trip to the litter box so guess what ends up on you when they rub or pat your face or on your pillow especially from the paws that were just in the litter box. If you get condensation in the area around the litter box guess what a percentage of that is too.

Cats also tend to gorge and purge aside from the hairball problem. When I had cats I always had equipment on hand to quickly clean up when they purged which was particularly hard on the carpets. Learned to not walk around barefoot especially in the dark for a middle of the night bathroom trip.

Cat saliva is not that good for humans either so if you get bit by your cat chances are you will be rushed to the head of the line if you end up going to an ER or Clinic for treatment.

Domestic cats getting loose and going feral are also becoming a big problem that has brought certain species to the brink of extinction too since domestic cats are one of the few animals that hunt for pleasure going about killing things just for the fun of it even when they are not hungry. This is a big problem both here all over the US and abroad:
https://environment.gov.au/biodivers...0and%20numbat.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/enviro...nment/1276989/

https://www.nj.gov/health/vph/animal...ol/feral-cats/

Yes they can be affectionate and such but that does come with some risks, maintenance and high expenses involved. As I mentioned previously I can see some campgrounds not wanting to deal with the after effects of some less capable cat owners and either up-charging for their presence or banning them.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #105

“Can’t we all just get along?”
Rodney King, 1991
IRBgigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #106

Geeze, and here I thought tire threads could get heated, but on this thread people are fighting like cats and dogs.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #107

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
So to deal with the smell you had to resort to extreme measures with an automated system that encapsulates their waste into a disposable cartridge every few minutes so that afterwards the campground owner has to potentially deal with it.

I was looking into the automated pellet litter box that uses permanent composite plastic litter and a macerator with a water feed and sewer drain to automatically clean up after each use like a modified flush toilet for cats. I gave up on those since they needed to be placed with access to plumbing fixtures and either needed regular battery replacements or to be near an electric outlet to power them. Plus when the get jammed up you have an even more unpleasant task ahead of you to clean out the mechanism and possibly have to deal with overflowing macerated cat waste.

After having to deal with the plethora of cat ailments that seem to be occurring with higher frequency lately such as Toxi-Plasma (especially dangerous to pregnant women), feline dementia, feline hyperthyroidism, ash crystalizing in bladders, etc, etc, etc along with the high cost of dealing with those health issues due to special dietary requirements and extremely high VET bills I've gone to a no indoor cat policy. First thing I noticed was that my AC filters last much longer now.

Some don't stop to think about how a cats entire body gets cleaned by licking after a trip to the litter box so guess what ends up on you when they rub or pat your face or on your pillow especially from the paws that were just in the litter box. If you get condensation in the area around the litter box guess what a percentage of that is too.

Cats also tend to gorge and purge aside from the hairball problem. When I had cats I always had equipment on hand to quickly clean up when they purged which was particularly hard on the carpets. Learned to not walk around barefoot especially in the dark for a middle of the night bathroom trip.

Cat saliva is not that good for humans either so if you get bit by your cat chances are you will be rushed to the head of the line if you end up going to an ER or Clinic for treatment.

Domestic cats getting loose and going feral are also becoming a big problem that has brought certain species to the brink of extinction too since domestic cats are one of the few animals that hunt for pleasure going about killing things just for the fun of it even when they are not hungry. This is a big problem both here all over the US and abroad:
https://environment.gov.au/biodivers...0and%20numbat.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/enviro...nment/1276989/

https://www.nj.gov/health/vph/animal...ol/feral-cats/

Yes they can be affectionate and such but that does come with some risks, maintenance and high expenses involved. As I mentioned previously I can see some campgrounds not wanting to deal with the after effects of some less capable cat owners and either up-charging for their presence or banning them.
I’m sorry you’ve had bad experiences with cats. But for those of us we love our cats, you won’t be changing our minds.

As far as feral cats, that is a human issue. People getting cats and not fixing them. Or deciding to let them loose because they no longer want them, they move, or die. Responsible pet parents try to anticipate that by talking to friend/family about that but it applies to dogs. People ignoring feral cat populations instead of reporting the to a local rescue group so they can do trap, fix, release. Or adopt them out as barn cats.

Cats are only expensive twice in their life, the beginning and the end. But then so are dogs.

I don’t use extreme measures to care for mine.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #108

All this talk about cats being disgorged directly from the belly of Hell is upsetting. I didn't realize while following this thread that Buddy was looking over my shoulder. Now he's crushed, and has slipped into a state of deep depression.

The first photo is him before this thread, the second after seeing how people feel about him and his likes. The difference is staggering. I'm afraid the counseling bills are going to be tremendous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210716_184137551.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	339778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210816_153100011.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	339779  

astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #109

Buddy needs $10,000 worth of Cat-0-therapy ASAP.

I think he is pondering Cat-a-cide. My wife is a Cat whisperer, she accepts PayPal. Just post Buddy's cell phone #, she'll talk him down.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:02 PM   #110

We inherited a cat some years ago, took her with us. Always disclosed that we had a very old indoor cat. Don’t remember ever paying extra. If we had, what is it, a few bucks? If it’s going to make a difference then maybe you have other problems…
She was a sweet thing. My only gripe was sharing the half bath with her(litter box). She’s gone now, no pets of any kind for us until we no longer travel.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:25 AM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
The Doberman, Heinz, just asked me what I was reading. I explained I was trying catsup on this long thread. He mustard got confused about cats not being charged a fee, and wasn’t relishing the financial pickle he was putting me in. I told him it was okay because “olive you”. The other dog, Oscar, then announced he was also offended and considered us both barbaric for eating wieners with mustard and sauerkraut on them.

That dachshund can be so sensitive.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #112

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
The Doberman, Heinz, just asked me what I was reading. I explained I was trying catsup on this long thread. He mustard got confused about cats not being charged a fee, and wasn’t relishing the financial pickle he was putting me in. I told him it was okay because “olive you”. The other dog, Oscar, then announced he was also offended and considered us both barbaric for eating wieners with mustard and sauerkraut on them.

That dachshund can be so sensitive.
And they say it's no picnic!
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat