RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
As far as feeling secure, I don't think a 120 lb man feels any safer than a 120 lb woman in the wrong place.
Why would that be the case?
Because men have the same emotions as women.
In fact, there's another thread going on right now about a guy who is worried that solo travel is too difficult for him. He's eager to get out there and do it, but he's scared that things will go badly. Isn't that exactly the same kind of thing women worry about when considering full time solo RVing?

Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #72

Quote:
Why would that be the case?
If women are fearful because they are physically smaller, why wouldnt a small male feel the same way. This is assuming both are in fear of being robbed for example.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #73

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People's attitudes do not change fast or easily, as most women already know all too well. Not just about gender equality, but about many things. Change is very hard for many people, perhaps harder for older generations, simply because how they were raised and values of their time.

When I ran an IT operation, Id tried to maintain as near a 50/50 gender ratio as i could. Not because of some HR guidelines but because I truly valued input from both genders and that interaction made a superior product. The women I hired were usually better at their technical skills than the men, partially because, well they had to work harder in what was a man's domain in those days. As for pay, I paid them as equally as possible, some new new female hires were paid higher than established male counterparts. But their resumes justified it.

That was one setting. I've also had women working for me who had been smoke jumpers or rode bulls for fun, even through the rodeo circuit precluded them from competing. They could do barrel racing instead. A female friend is a hunting guide for horse pack wilderness elk hunts. She is the only guide for a bunch of men. Oh, she also can drop a bull elk with one shot at 1,000 yards. You don't mess with her.

Ok, those women are maybe exception cases, but I content women are able to do what ever they want if slightly allowed to. Some women just won't take a no and find a way.

Me, I 69 years old and try to avoid getting into gender traps as best as I can.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #74

I am just an RVer that travels solo. I sometimes get told I am brave to do the traveling I do solo, but I think of it as just not wanting to give up something that I enjoy so much. I do miss traveling with my late husband but it was not a reason to stop just because he is gone. I have been coast to coast and never really make set plans. Just pick a direction and go. I have seen some of the most interesting places that way. Have always been up for a new adventure and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Keep the wheels turning and safe travels. Cheri
Silvergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:11 AM   #75

I am very grateful that myself and other women on this forum have the freedom to choose our paths & lifestyles as stated in many of the posts.

Quote:

Being a woman who was entering her 6th decade of life I had had a strong indoctrination in the "weaker sex" philosophies of learning. One could not live through those years of the 50's all the way up until more recent times without someone cautioning you to be careful, be safe, don't walk around after dark alone, carry pepper spray, don't trust anyone (meaning men) that you don't know,
This was done to educate women (and men!) about prudent ways to protect themselves given that they are targeted in the real world.

Quote:

The message was clear: you are the weaker sex and you are vulnerable to all sorts of dangers.
The message was clear because reality is clear.

I am a much younger woman and find absolutely no offense in the truth of human biology - women are the physically weaker sex. Our bodies clearly reflect that due to the functions of reproduction ie: women are significantly slower runners than men on average due to shape of hips which is designed/evolved for the bearing of children.

I think many women today take offense at that because they see it as part of grouping women as mentally, emotionally, and intellectually inferior.
Or they see it as a control mechanism. That is simply not the case.

Those that seek to harm others individually usually will choose targets perceived to somehow be weaker - which makes women much more vulnerable ceterus parabus to the average man.

Common sense and practical use of modern technology & tools can decrease the chances of being targeted for both men and women, but it is ESPECIALLY beneficial for women because it equalizes us.

Because of modern technology & tools, women today have more freedom to come & go as they choose with ways to monitor & protect their persons as compared to 100 years ago, without relying upon their family, being in a group, or having a man around in order to not appear as a vulnerable target to those with bad intent.

Quote:
More subtle was that you needed a man to be fully protected.
For most of human history, women did need men to be fully protected from everyday dangers. With today's technologies & tools, not so much anymore.

I will speak for myself and say that while I do not need a man to protect me from the real dangers of the world, I damned sure want and desire one to protect me.

I want to give a shout out to the inventors & developers of our modern technology & security tools that have enabled me to have an unprecedented amount of freedom to travel solo as I see fit - who happen to be almost all men. In that way I suppose men have always and will continue to protect women. :-)
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Those that seek to harm others individually usually will choose targets perceived to somehow be weaker - which makes women much more vulnerable ceterus parabus to the average man.
I would encourage you to read the posts on the first page of this thread. I said the same thing you did, and was vehemently told I was wrong, that statistics don't back it up, plus that women engage in bar fights in equal numbers as men.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #77

I didn't read through the whole thread, just most of the first page and the last, but I would say to C5c5, you go girl!! You make more realistic sense than many I have heard on this subject, even some of the people I used to work with.

After using rest areas, truck stops, etc. on our annual trips across the US since the late '70s, I would agree that they are generally safe, but not always. I remember sitting up for an hour or more in the RV designated parking area in front of a Flying J with my protection in the ready because a group of rowdy kids pulled in and were partying a few car lengths away. I noticed cops coming by about every 15 minutes, so there was concern there too. The kids eventually left and things settled down, but it was worrisome, to say the least.

I remember another time near Indy where we stopped to overnight in a rest area. Shortly after we stopped a car pulled in several spaces away and 3 or 4 late teen kids got out and started walking toward our RV. I got out my protection and prepared for a confrontation, but about that time a cop car pulled in and the officers had a conversation with the kids after which the kids left followed by the cops.

Those were our worst experiences in rest areas and truck stops, but I was prepared for the worst. I was also very thankful for the police presence, which I have no doubt was very helpful. These were only a couple times out of many hundreds, if not thousands, but as others have said in many threads, always be aware of your surroundings.

The very few bad experiences we've had cannot overcome the many, many, good ones, and we still travel the same way.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #78

Quote:
I would encourage you to read the posts on the first page of this thread. I said the same thing you did, and was vehemently told I was wrong, that statistics don't back it up, plus that women engage in bar fights in equal numbers as men.
Thanks for the comments Oatmeal!

Yes, I did read the earlier posts on the thread. It has been a long and very valuable thread I think. It just takes a while to sort through it all and digest it, at least for me.

To sum up my response, you and the earlier posts are both correct. It is just the understandings of how it all applies that is confusing.

Yes, the stats are very clear - men are victims of violent crime & attacks more than women.

Yes, perps will almost always target those they believe are vulnerable, man or woman. Men happen to be in those situations more than women, thus the higher numbers for male victims. Maybe women are more prudent and have been taking the advice they have been taught for centuries, which help keep the numbers lower than the mens'. Or, sometimes when bad situations arise and a woman is targeted, a man gets involved and deflects the violence from her onto him (good old male protective instinct). There are multiple reasons why.

A little known stat that is not talked about is the high numbers of females abusing their male partners. Some of those domestics are reported, but most are not. Most men just take the punches (slaps) and items hurled at them and don't tell anyone. If one believes male to female domestic violence is under reported, you can imagine the even larger gap of unreported female to male.

As far as bar fights, from what I understand, there has been an increase (anectdotal?) in reported females being involved. It is my opinion that this has happened coincinidental with the social movement that purports men and women are the same. I think the greater feminist movement, post-moderism, combined with the confusion brought on by the phenomenon of wokeness has encouraged SOME females to act this way. I could be wrong, and it is a good discussion.

Back to my original post, I said, "ceterus paribus," or, "all things being equal."

If a perp (man or woman) wanted to physically steal $$ from someone, and their choice that night walking alone to their RV in an isolated section of a truck stop was a 200 lb man or a 150 lb woman, what would the logical choice be? That is what I meant with ceterus paribus, the same individual situation. The answer is obvious. The woman is always going to appear the most vulnerable (even if she truly isn't, the odds are against her) and be the likely target.

Of course all situations are different and life has its patterns. Women instinctually like to be in groups (safety in numbers) whereas men are much more likely to be alone at night on average. This explains the national statistics.
Now, the more women who decide to travel alone and happen to be in those situations that have higher odds of encountering nefarious activity potential, the more likely they will put herself at higher risk on par with men.

Does that make sense? Let me know if I am mistaken in my interpretations.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #79

Quote:
Thanks for the comments Oatmeal!

Yes, I did read the earlier posts on the thread. It has been a long and very valuable thread I think. It just takes a while to sort through it all and digest it, at least for me.

To sum up my response, you and the earlier posts are both correct. It is just the understandings of how it all applies that is confusing.

Yes, the stats are very clear - men are victims of violent crime & attacks more than women.

Yes, perps will almost always target those they believe are vulnerable, man or woman. Men happen to be in those situations more than women, thus the higher numbers for male victims. Maybe women are more prudent and have been taking the advice they have been taught for centuries, which help keep the numbers lower than the mens'. Or, sometimes when bad situations arise and a woman is targeted, a man gets involved and deflects the violence from her onto him (good old male protective instinct). There are multiple reasons why.

A little known stat that is not talked about is the high numbers of females abusing their male partners. Some of those domestics are reported, but most are not. Most men just take the punches (slaps) and items hurled at them and don't tell anyone. If one believes male to female domestic violence is under reported, you can imagine the even larger gap of unreported female to male.

As far as bar fights, from what I understand, there has been an increase (anectdotal?) in reported females being involved. It is my opinion that this has happened coincinidental with the social movement that purports men and women are the same. I think the greater feminist movement, post-moderism, combined with the confusion brought on by the phenomenon of wokeness has encouraged SOME females to act this way. I could be wrong, and it is a good discussion.

Back to my original post, I said, "ceterus paribus," or, "all things being equal."

If a perp (man or woman) wanted to physically steal $$ from someone, and their choice that night walking alone to their RV in an isolated section of a truck stop was a 200 lb man or a 150 lb woman, what would the logical choice be? That is what I meant with ceterus paribus, the same individual situation. The answer is obvious. The woman is always going to appear the most vulnerable (even if she truly isn't, the odds are against her) and be the likely target.

Of course all situations are different and life has its patterns. Women instinctually like to be in groups (safety in numbers) whereas men are much more likely to be alone at night on average. This explains the national statistics.
Now, the more women who decide to travel alone and happen to be in those situations that have higher odds of encountering nefarious activity potential, the more likely they will put herself at higher risk on par with men.

very well said, I just think it's in men's (our nature) to protect weather it be women or kids. but as of now days women have no problems no matter what they decide to do, for example my MIL working in the oil field industry
Old 02-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #80

Quote:
I think you are spot on, and couldn't have said it any better.

There are also those who will differ, and always will be, regardless of how the reasoning is presented .

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote