RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

A travel partner?

Hey RV travelers,

This is my first time posting but I read everyone's post that comes in my email and enjoy them greatly.

I'm looking for some feed-back and ideas.
I have traveled with my mom for years. No RV, just SUV driving to our destination. She passed away in 2015. Since my husband trains for his competition all summer and competes, we do not vacation together.
Last year for the first time in 3 years I decided to go solo and meet my brother in Moab. He goes every year since he's a "Jeeper." And I've been before and had some great hikes with him.
Anyway, I bought a Revel 4x4 van to travel in. I have only camped as a young adult in a tent. I stayed in hotels along the highway. I know...defeats the purpose of having a camping van.
I was so lonely! I missed her so much. It took me 5 days from Florida to get there (Farmington, N.M.) I was always concerned that something was going to happen to the van. I wasn't concerned so much with safety because I travel with my Rottie and a smaller mix.
Now, I want to go back and visit my brother in Aztec, N.M. and again meet my older brother in Moab. The problem now is that my Rottie died in Jan. of this year and I feel like I have no protection. I do have my CC permit though.
I'm 62 and have been feeling slightly more vulnerable than in the past.
I would love to find a travel partner but not sure how to do that and keep it safe.
I have two small dogs now (it's quite embarrassing after I've had a 100lb. Rottie.)
Has anyone had experience with trying to find travel partners before?
I've checked on RVwomen but they seem to just meet up for events.

Any input would be appreciated.
k9travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #2

I wouldn't worry about the protection part. Unless you're staying in a Walmart parking lot multiple days as you travel. The time I spent at Walmart, one of the night the police were out there because some guy that lived on the lot was beating up his spouse. So it can get loud there. As for a partner, look for someone who doesn't mind the close quarters!

Post on Match, and look for someone who wants to travel. I am 40 years old (look 30) and am 4 years and 1 month from retirement. I had posted on match just to see the kind of people that would respond, and surprisingly I got a few women emailing me that would love to go full time, and all except one had their own money so they wouldn't be mooching off me. One was 50 years old, and the other two were late 30s.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9travler View Post
I've checked on RVwomen but they seem to just meet up for events.

Any input would be appreciated.
K9Travler-Welcome to the board! Are you a member in any of the RV clubs? Escapees, RVillage, Passport to name a few. They often have 'meet & greets' for members, attending a meeting or two is a good way to get to know folks with similar interests. I believe Escapees has listings of special interest sub-groups that you might want to look into. (Pet lovers, gardening, cooking, knitting, etc). Good Luck to you!
On the Road with 11 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:47 AM   #4

2 years FT though in a larger unit, and 66. Have not had any issues. I tried RVingWomen but wasn't into the events so much. One thing I had liked was that paying the dues gets you access to the member directory. I was amazed at how quickly a post on the members page asking for help would get you someone local willing to help out. Meeting up with a local chapter might help you meet and get to know someone who might be interested in traveling along with you on some trips. Or you can post ahead your travel plans on the members only site to see if anyone is going to be near your stop overs.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertpacu View Post
I wouldn't worry about the protection part. Unless you're staying in a Walmart parking lot multiple days as you travel. The time I spent at Walmart, one of the night the police were out there because some guy that lived on the lot was beating up his spouse. So it can get loud there. As for a partner, look for someone who doesn't mind the close quarters!

Post on Match, and look for someone who wants to travel. I am 40 years old (look 30) and am 4 years and 1 month from retirement. I had posted on match just to see the kind of people that would respond, and surprisingly I got a few women emailing me that would love to go full time, and all except one had their own money so they wouldn't be mooching off me. One was 50 years old, and the other two were late 30s.
I'm not sure I would feel comfortable going to a dating/friendship site. Too many weirdos.
If someone wanted to travel along I would pay their way.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
K9Travler-Welcome to the board! Are you a member in any of the RV clubs? Escapees, RVillage, Passport to name a few. They often have 'meet & greets' for members, attending a meeting or two is a good way to get to know folks with similar interests. I believe Escapees has listings of special interest sub-groups that you might want to look into. (Pet lovers, gardening, cooking, knitting, etc). Good Luck to you!
Yes, I am currently a member of RVwomen and use to be a member of Escapees.
That is a great idea to get to know folks with similar interests. I just need to get out there and do it!
Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_aplenty View Post
2 years FT though in a larger unit, and 66. Have not had any issues. I tried RVingWomen but wasn't into the events so much. One thing I had liked was that paying the dues gets you access to the member directory. I was amazed at how quickly a post on the members page asking for help would get you someone local willing to help out. Meeting up with a local chapter might help you meet and get to know someone who might be interested in traveling along with you on some trips. Or you can post ahead your travel plans on the members only site to see if anyone is going to be near your stop overs.
I feel the same way about the RVingwomen events. Not my thing and that's why I haven't really been interested in going to one. I like spending time in the outdoors doing things, not playing card games, etc..
I didn't think about posting on the member directory. Good idea!
Thank you!
Do you really travel with that many cats? LOL! And I thought 4 dogs was crazy.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think Id look for someone traveling the same route to caravan with so youd always have your own private space, but the safety and convenience of travel partners. I often caravan with friends and family - 2 or 3 rvs and its fun in camp and helpful on the road. We use FRS radios for easy communication, which is also fun. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm not sure I would feel comfortable going to a dating/friendship site. Too many weirdos.
If someone wanted to travel along I would pay their way.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I thought so too, but they're pretty regular. Hell, I was on there and I am a normal guy who has pretty much the same interests you have (more oc a cat guy than a dog guy, but like dogs too). It's not bad though. Very rare you get a weirdo.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
I feel the same way about the RVingwomen events. Not my thing and that's why I haven't really been interested in going to one. I like spending time in the outdoors doing things, not playing card games, etc..
I didn't think about posting on the member directory. Good idea!
Thank you!
Do you really travel with that many cats? LOL! And I thought 4 dogs was crazy.
Gotta do something in the evenings! I love to play cards.. Hell, I would join and pretend to be a woman just for that haha. But I am more of a computer gamer in the evenings, which is why I am going to go overboard on the solar when I go full time. Hopefully in 5 years they will have truly unlimited wifi hotspot data use. This whole 30gb per month stuff wouldn't work for me. Or reducing the data wouldn't work either. Unless it was like 30gb at 5g and the rest at 4g. I have 4g now and it runs my gaming just fine when my normal internet is down.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I think Id look for someone traveling the same route to caravan with so youd always have your own private space, but the safety and convenience of travel partners. I often caravan with friends and family - 2 or 3 rvs and its fun in camp and helpful on the road. We use FRS radios for easy communication, which is also fun. Good luck and safe travels.
Have you ever seen "what's Eating Gilbert Grape"? That is actually real in terms of the RV caravans. There are literally caravans that I have seen that fill pretty much every space within the same day. On the road driving I have passed like 40 RVs in the space of 3-4 miles. Crazy stuff when they all show up near you within the same day. You were alone boondocking then in the evening there were 30-40 RVs near you. Not a bad thing at all for me. I am an introvert, but I also like to see people having a good time together. I would do the caravan thing if it was just for the western USA. I don't like going east of TX.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
more than 2 or 3 would be a bit much for me. small groups work out pretty well. For large groups you would need reservations and organization that would take a lot of the nomadic random pleasure out of it. It was the same during my harley days. More than 4 or 5 bikes and I was out. Like to keep things simple.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
more than 2 or 3 would be a bit much for me. small groups work out pretty well. For large groups you would need reservations and organization that would take a lot of the nomadic random pleasure out of it. It was the same during my harley days. More than 4 or 5 bikes and I was out. Like to keep things simple.

The only time I was out there when a large group arrived was when I was boondocking in NV red rock area (kinda near vegas). It was great having everyone there. It was quite festive and supposedly they were all staying there for a couple weeks then heading up to South Dakota. They were in Quartzsite for the month prior to showing up where I was. This was in March of last year.

It's literally by vote where they go. Some people are in for a few months with them then go separate ways after, but there is always a core group they were saying that travel together. I though tit would be fun. I forget the group they were with but they all looked very happy and were having a good time. Even the ones in pop up trailers. Good times!
Old 06-19-2020, 05:08 AM   #14

Quote:
I would love that.

Tags
travel