Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #57

Our rig:
1997 Ford CF8000 housetruck.

During our design of our housetruck, we needed a sense of security. Accordingly, we built with steel.

Our windows are 2x1 == two-foot sliders by one-foot tall. We mounted them at eye-level while standing inside the rig. This means they are about eight-feet above the ground.

We engineered our entry at the rear. Again everything is steel. The door has dual dead-bolts, mid-top and mid-low. The usual suspects attempting breaking-and-entering into a store-bought RV probably wouldn't go to the trouble with us, especially since we are heavily-armed with baseball bats and such. A lot of such, and with aren't afraid to use our such.

Are we safe? Never! And our tribes are not safe, either. The concept of 'safe' gives me the whillies. This's the reason we seek unsafe places. And we like the company of unsafe folks. Would you care to join us?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybiggestd View Post
In my opinion, and as a 28 years of service military retiree, I believe every RVer should have at least a pump shotgun onboard. Stash it in an inconspicuous place and never talk about it with any visitors. There is no better close range defensive weapon than a 12 gauge pump shotgun. A 20 gauge comes in a close second. Keep it clean and loaded. Keep the safety on. You will probably never need it, but like the old saying goes, “it’s better to have and not need than to need and not have.”

And get over the thought you could never stand to shoot an attacker. The very sight of a large bore weapon pointed at a bad guy is almost always going to make him turn tail and run away. Then you can contact the authorities and they can search for and deal with the low life. At least the local coroner won’t be completing any paperwork on you.

I agree completely. I carry a Kimber 1911, train regularly, but for practical purposes a 12 gauge shotgun with improved cylinder and buckshot is hard to beat in closed quarters with thin walls. Particularly a pump shotgun is nice. The sound of a pump cycling is distinct and most people, bad guys included, know exactly what that sound is. The worry of penetration of walls and subsequent collateral damage/injury next door is not as much of a concern (always still should try to know what is through that wall), and when the adrenaline is flowing (as it will be if a situation escalates to this point) you don’t have to be AS accurate. Just have to discharge close to the target. If you as an individual have any doubt about your ability to kill or feel that you might hesitate, then you probably need another option. The worst thing would be for the bad guy to gain control of your weapon. The only other comment I will make is that if you do excercise your right, it is very important to train as though your life depends on it. It may well. I don’t mean hard core commando military tactic necessarily, but at the least practice your draw and getting on target. Know your weapon.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #59

You are safer from meth heads in the desert than you are in a Walmart parking lot, the only place I've ever had to walk forward with my weapon. Also, while I was leery of guns for most of my life I took the course, have my concealed carry permit good in 40 states, but I don't carry the gun - it is locked in a secure gun safe whether at home or in the RV. Decide if having a gun with you and not needing it, is better than not having a gun and needing one. I enjoy target practice especially in open areas (hate indoor ranges) and it keeps me sharp if I ever do have to point the thing at another person who might very well be pointing one back at me. Just take the course, then decide.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #60

Not a lot of time to read the dozens of replies here but I have always traveled with a firearm. I know how to use it and also know all the legal justifications for the use of deadly force.

If you do not have a firearm I suggest to add one to your camping supplies.
If you do not know how to use one learn.
Many states require you to attend a classroom instruction on the use of deadly force (most taught by police professionals).
The decision to own and carry a handgun is a serious matter but if you ever need one you will be glad you have it.
I have had a concealed carry permit for over 40 years and have never had to use a firearm for self defense but it does give one peace of mind.

Good Luck and Happy Camping.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #61

Solo Rvers Club
Welcome nicole14! ANYWHERE you happen to be, the two words that will do the MOST to keep you safe is SITUATIONAL AWARENESS (Google "Color Codes of Awareness"). Have a clue as to who and what is in close proximity (20' ~ 30'). SA is an acquired skill (one you should practice until it becomes second nature). Bad guys prefer to surprise victims. If they know, that YOU know they are nearby, they're much less likely to choose you as their next victim; they want easy pickings. A simple nod of acknowledgement or a "good morning/evening" is often all it takes. Other simple and inexpensive techniques include have a LARGE pair of men's boots (cheap purchase a Goodwill) next to your's outside the door. A BIG bowl with some kibble in it might make them think you have a big dog and, think twice about targeting you. If as you leave your RV there's anyone in close proximity that gives you a "bad vibe", call back into the RV something to the effect "hurry up honey, let's get going". Unless they've been surveilling you, they don't know "honey" isn't really there.

As for firearms, if you're not 90+% sure that you could take a life, avoid them (guns are tools and, in NO way "magical"). SERIOUS training is needed to effectively use firearms. Menacing with a firearm is a criminal act in itself and, if the "bad guy" didn't bring a gun, he might decide to take yours. A loud whistle is EASILY (and legally) carried anywhere (and can't really be turned against you). A canned airhorn is bulkier but, when activated, it sure gets attention! I now have a Super-C Class diesel puller. When I stop for the night at a place like Cracker Barrel, Denny's or a truck stop, the steps get retracted via an interior switch. With no steps outside, access to my RV is MUCH harder. ALL RVs are fairly flimsy and, a crowbar/tire iron could probably effect forced entry without breaking a sweat (especially since the felon won't care about the damage he's doing).

I understand your friends and family's concern and, that's a GOOD thing! Keep in touch with them regularly by phone calls, texts and email. When they see the great times and experiences you're having, they'll probably come around (and may surprise you by expressing interest in doing it themselves!).

If, after you've followed advice here and still get targeted as a victim, immediately FIGHT BACK as hard as you can! Scream, scratch, gouge, kick, throw anything and everything you can. You are now in DEEPSH!T and, the bad guy MUST be treated as the lethal threat that he is. Your life and well being depends on you being to run him off!

I apologize if this sounds scary but, a feces hitting the fan experience will be the great exception to the rule. Hone your Situation Awareness and, 99.999% of your RVing experience will be wonderful.
Regards,
John
Old 11-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #62

Boondocking solo or otherwise in the desert, my biggest concern is not the "meth heads", but the illegals. I have a small loud dog, guns, and I stay north of I-8.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #63

as to the "camp" learn how to read things. if it feels funny. as in piles of trash. (above the norm) teenages with no adults around. collage duds on vac. move to another area.
as to your rv, not much to do there maybe some cams mounted outside?
as to you. learn some self defense skills. get and know how to use and NOT use a gun.
get a dog. they make noise and love you.
pepper spray ( rated for bears). sad not legal in all states.
use a good walking stick. think a hickory axe handle deal.
never be afraid of hurting a thug.
never theaten. just hurt away on them.
after all you are protecting your life.
but mostly camping is very safe. most druggies are in town . not out in the boonies.
and i bet most guys and a lot of gals out there are more than willing to help you out. even to just not fear the night.
camp close to others. if posable but not so close to make them worried.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #64

This thread is about an accident waiting to happen....

Boondocking without a firearm (and the ability to use it), is just asking for trouble. And sooner or later you'll get it.
And "meth heads" are just the tip of the iceberg...
Old 11-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Had a police officer tell me that he/they would protect me as soon as he/they got there. Until then it was up to me to protect myself.
There are mTany deterrents to help you protect yourself. Take a self-defense course. Be aware of your surroundings. Never leave anything of value out where it can be seen. There is safety in numbers.
A small, yippy dog. A cellphone with emergency numbers programmed in. Well light areas. Hard to climb IN a tall Class A coach.

The list goes on and on. Common sense.
This is the best answer yet.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #66

[QUOTE=Ray,IN;4474624]In my opinion you're asking the wrong people. I would contact the irv2.com singles group "solo RVer's"forum, and/or Loners On Wheels, an RVing club for single people, most of them are full-timers.
You will be just as safe in an RV as in your car in a strange setting, if you follow your usual precautions and feelings.[/QUOTE

Did not know this existed. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Risk Management

If you are concerned about safety, I would suggest a motorhome vs a trailer of any kind. You are "IN" it and can drive away without getting "out" should the need or uneasy feeling arise... That said, once you cover your bases as much as practical, have FUN - life is too short to worry about what may or may NOT ever happen...
Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #68

Being prepared is being safe today the liberals wish for you to Blume the police will protect you that’s only true if they are there. Even the le community will admit they can’t protect you all they can do take reports anf investigate after the incident has occurred that’s where using your experience and knowledge will assist you. If it looks bad avoid it, get a large breed dog have it trained to protect you, learn to protect your self with self defense techniques and or firearms. When I was younger I was able to do that with out assistance of protection items. Today my physical health will not allowed me to do so but I do it using technology.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
My mother-in-law traveled by herself with a pick up and 5th wheel. She joined a club, I think she said it was the Lone Eagles. Sometimes she traveled with them other times she just let them know where she was going to be. They looked after her. If she didn't show when and where she said someone, even if they had never met her, was calling to make sure she was ok. A nice network to belong to.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #70

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RROLDSX View Post
I don’t think there are many meth addicts in the middle of the desert away from their sources but I’m not saying it would never happen. Stay somewhat close to others and you should be fine. Most people are pretty good contrary to popular opinion. If we worry too much about things that might happen we wouldn’t do anything. Don’t let worry stop you from enjoying your life. IMO. Enjoy!
I am a desert resident in the California Mojave desert for over 25 years and worked for CalTrans for several years in that desert. I can tell you that meth labs in the desert are real and they are usually setup in old abandon buildings or they even will rent a place to cook their stuff where the smell isn't noticed. We would find the foil wrappers from the over the counter additives that they used and it is considered Hazardous material at that point. Just google San Bernardino meth labs and see what you come up with. I am not telling you this to scare you but to make you aware of it is real and it could be a problem if you don't pay attention to your surroundings, the same as in the city. You can always ask the LEO in the areas you go if they know of problems and they will advise you of known bad areas because they don't like to do reports after bad things happen.

Be safe and look for others that are in the areas you go and talk to them. We are boondockers also and I always try to talk to others in the area and find fun and safe thing to do and see. Haven't had our trillium broken into yet but never leave valuables inside.
Closed Thread

Tags
rvs, solo