Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to Charliene
Heads up! Hwy. Radar!

Subject: New Police Radar installed in highway railing…Clever

Heads Up:

New Radar installed along Highway in railing system, it is motion activated, radar detectors are useless, when system is turned on you are instantly busted, a photo of your car and speed is sent to a patrol car a few miles down the road with your ticket. It is now in use between Baton Rouge and Lafayette on the Atchafalaya Basin elevated highway...
!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWY RADAR.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	53433  
Charliene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #2

That's awesome, love the idea.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did someone get a ticket? Just obey the speed limit.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Its not radar....its laser and its a speed measurement device only....the photo unit is located down the road and looks similar to a red light camera set-up.....This is a Swiss unit pictured. According to snopes.com there are no units currently employed in the US.
"We note that LIDAR systems like the one shown above are not authorized for law enforcement use in all countries and jurisdictions, and that they can be employed for traffic monitoring purposes as well as speed limit enforcement. As far as we know, the system pictured above is not currently being used in the United States. "

Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
People driving RV's speed? How? a 20% downgrade?
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Reminds me of the time I got a ticket in the mail. Tucson, on Valencia road I got busted for doing 97 MPH in a 50 zone. Went to court, asked the judge if he saw what kind of car I was in.. A smart car.. I told him there was no way.. People in sportscars won't even do the speed limit on that road because of the potholes, let alone that fast in a smart car.. They dropped the case.
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #7

Those pics were taken in Belgium, evidently. Not true (at least yet)

New Automated Guardrail Radar on I-10 Atchafalaya Basin Bridge? | 99.9 KTDY
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Wasn't this on another thread?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Those pics were taken in Belgium, evidently. Not true (at least yet)

New Automated Guardrail Radar on I-10 Atchafalaya Basin Bridge? | 99.9 KTDY

but it was on the internet and facebook.. it has to be true.. right ??? ha ha..

hey If people think it's true and it makes them slow down I'm for the myth..
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Way back when they installed radar units in bridges. The cops had to physically be there as they had to string wires to their cars, then visually pick out the speeder, unhook the wires and give chase. That was before I got my drivers license and I'm 67 now so it's been a few years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Time to whip out the pellet gun! LOL!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Not so sure it would hold up in Court. It will take the pic as a speeder comes by, but what if the speeder and a non-speeder pass it at the same time? This happened to me in AZ a few years ago. I was in the fast lane with white car doing the posted 35mph, another white car passed me on the right running faster then posted. I got pulled over and the officer said he picked me up in excess of 50 as he was using radar coming the opposite direction. I politely explained that he picked up the other car, not mine. Another officer pulls up and they have a discussion while running my info through the system. Never had a ticket. He handed back my license and registration and said "have a nice day".

I liked the cameras they used in S. Korea they actually picked up the front with the plate and the driver & passenger. Saw one posted on a bulletin board in 1985 with two Nixon's waving as they sped past. They had also removed the front plate.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This has not been on the internet before far as I know. but it involves people I worked with, both full time and part time.

For many years Police have known how to use Radar for maximum advantage.. A part time co-worker of mine tells this story.

He was running late for work so he was "Making time" (Exceeding the speed limit) trusting his detector to alert him of radar.. Now the freeway in this area is "level" that is not elevated, nor a "Ditch" but seperated from the residential area beside it by a concrete wall with steel reinforcement (REBAR).. this wall blocks radar.

As he passed an entrance ramp his detector went from ZERO to full scale, and sure enough, there in the rear view as a Blue Goose (Michigan state police car) Accelerating, Lights on, He started slowing down to get his ticket.. The Troopers went right past him and pulled over the Taxi with the wired on license plate (Flutter plate we call it).. So he started building speed back up with.. Second verse same as the first.. (Right down to the taxi).

He stuck to the double nickles the rest of the way to work, Figured he'd about run out of taxi cabs.

He who puts faith in Radar Detector often meets Judge.

Story 2: Man said "how did you catch me, This new fancy radar detector never made a peep" (An old fashion pace clock, patrol did not have radar)

LADAR, (light assited) uses visible light, and the officer's eyes, NOTHING is radiated this is effectivelly a stop watch and a yard stick. I tmeasures the time and distance and computers the speed.

LASAR, is usually manually triggered.

Michigan State Police the primary witness is the officer's observation of your speed. NOT the electroincs, they simply confirm what the officer sees.

True story #2, One day they parked an aircraft over a stretch of the I-696 international speedway, In about one hour wrote 85 tickets, you had to be going a minimum of 85, top ticket 105.. A couple days later they parked a different aircraft (one was fixed wing, one rotary) over the same stretch of freeway.> Same stats, right down to the 105.

I believe it was a 55 zone at the time.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I obey the speed limit so they won't get me.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada