Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:32 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
How do you do a toad brake light check, solo?

So, I finally got my PC set up to tow my CRV. Dave & I always worked as a team to test lights/signals/brake lights. Me on the inside working them; him on the outside giving me hand signals they were working. Now that I'm by myself, I guess I can test lights & signals by engaging them & then going outside to look.

But how do I test to be sure my brake lights come on with my ReadyBrake? I have to be the one pressing the brake pedal on the coach & I can't see the toad brake lights in the rear camera.

What do you solo's do?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2022, 09:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
So, I finally got my PC set up to tow my CRV. Dave & I always worked as a team to test lights/signals/brake lights. Me on the inside working them; him on the outside giving me hand signals they were working. Now that I'm by myself, I guess I can test lights & signals by engaging them & then going outside to look.

But how do I test to be sure my brake lights come on with my ReadyBrake? I have to be the one pressing the brake pedal on the coach & I can't see the toad brake lights in the rear camera.

What do you solo's do?

Though I'm not soloing , I still wanted to know if the toad brake lights are working .

I ran a wire from the toads brake light circuit into the cab of the MH.

I connected the wire to a small LED indicator light I installed in the dash .

Now when I apply the brakes on the MH and the LED in the dash lights up I know the toads brake lights are working .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yeah, I'm not mechanically inclined to do that myself. Our prior BB Vantage Select had a remote that sat on our dash that would light when the brake pedal was used. But I went with a different set up this time.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:14 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
How about a rod or stick the correct length to go between the brake pedal and the seat?
Old 04-04-2022, 07:51 AM   #5

You beat me to it . I also use a wood piece to check brakes when DW can't come out to the driveway. I also fold up a small towel between the wood and seat to prevent scraping the upholstery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
How about a rod or stick the correct length to go between the brake pedal and the seat?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:57 AM   #6

Would this work? Still requires install. When our braking system was installed ram wire to front turn signals on car. I can see in monitor if on. Also have a device like the link on dash.
Edit: Link helps
https://www.readybrake.com/store/p14...or_DL-300.html
Old 04-04-2022, 08:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Step on the brakes when it’s dark outside seems like a good idea
🤷🏽*♂️

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You can also turn on your emergency flashers. That will at least show if the lights and turn signals are working. Generally, if they are working the brake lights are also. I've had to that at times when I was by myself towing.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:21 AM   #9

I posted a similar question myself several months ago for similar reasons. The best answers I got were working flashers indicate the brake lights are working or a brake depressing tool such as this:

Lisle 21520 Truck Pedal Depressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRF5S...NNFRJ8CSS234M6
Souljourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
I use my Iphone for this (android phone would work as well), just set it up behind the toad and then turn on the "Video" mode inside the phone's camera settings and start recording. Then go back into the Motorhome\TV and turn on all the lights one by one that need to be checked, blinkers, tail lights, brake lights, ... I think that is all. The you can replay the video and know for sure if the toad lights were working as they should. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:11 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked flashers & turn signals while hooked up & know the CRV tail lights light up. Knowing that this means the brake lights will come on will do for me for now.

What I actually discovered is the tech forgot to run the wiring & little LED light which goes on the coach dash. I found that unopened bag on the floor of the back seat of my CRV sort of tucked (probably slid there) under the driver's seat. I rarely ever look in the backseat for stuff but happened to today when I needed fold down one of the back seats to load something large there.

Next time I'm in their area, I'll stop in & have them make it right. I wish I were more confident doing this myself, but it's their error....they'll have to fix it.

I wondered why there wasn't some sort of indicator. I should've paid more attention but I guess the excitement of finally picking it up after waiting 6 weeks got the better of me.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I use something called a “brakemate”. It’s designed to put between the brake pedal and the steering wheel (so it doesn’t push against the seat). Been working well for checking my brake lights and push rod stroke. Wasn’t very expensive.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:03 PM   #13

I was just watching an episode of that gold mining show. To help the guy feeding dirt into the wash plant, they setup a mirror. I suspect you could easily built a lightweight stand with a medium size mirror on it. You could do all your checks while sitting in the drivers seat. One of those collapsing music stands minus the top would work well and take little room.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:58 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am with Lt Dan. I am usually solo so I turn on parking lights and use the emergency flashers. Sometimes, I'll also turn the L or R signal on after the emergency flashers to also cfm. Tells me lights and signals work.
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, toad, brake, solo