Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

Leveling MH by yourself question

I am close to purchasing a MH, probably a Forester 2351LE. I have researched for many, many hours. I would now like to get a solo perspective on a few items. I will be travelling solo, female, and am retired. I plan to travel for 3-5 months Canada/US over the summer and 2-4 day trips per month throughout Florida the rest of the time.

1. If the MH doesn't have auto-levelers already installed, how easy or difficult is it to level the MH by yourself? Personal experiences pls. Videos I have looked at seem to suggest it is done by two people, and there are lots of tweaks. I can't figure how it can be done easily by one person.

2. Does anyone have the Forester 2351 LE or Sunseeker 2350 LE?

3. Does anyone have a MH no greater than 25 ft bumper to bumper, with no slides, a dinette, and a dedicated bed?

I appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It can be done easily enough, just two people make it easier...

What I've done with all the rv's in the past is set a level spot and then put two bubble levels one for the front to back and one for the side to side in a place I can see...
in the tt's and 5'ers, I put them on the front left corner, on the coaches, I placed a 6" level on the drink holder and since I have a residential fridge that's not crazy to be dead on level... that's always been close enough for us
good luck !
Old 09-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
It's not difficult once you get the hang of it. I've pretty much always done the leveling myself although it is nice to have a spotter.

Assuming you are working without hydraulic levelers, you have a couple of options. Probably the easiest for a motor home is the modular leveling blocks like the Lynx levelers. To use them, you just position the motor home pretty much where you want it in the site, trying to get it as level as possible, observe which direction(s) the RV is off level, and place blocks in front of or behind the tires to raise that side or corner.

So for instance, if it is slightly low front to back and low left to right you would place blocks in front of or behind the two front tires and the left rear tire and either pull forward or back on the blocks. After doing so, you check the levels again and add blocks as needed until you are level. After doing it a few times, you will have a pretty good idea by initially looking at the level how many blocks you need in order to reach level and it will go much faster.

Good luck and happy camping. Hydraulic levelers are nice, but I've done a lot of motor home and trailer camping without them. Even with hydraulic levelers, I often found the need to "pre-level". They usually don't recommend lifting a tire off the ground while leveling with hydraulic leveling jacks.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #4

If I may jump into this conversation; download the level app to your cell-phone, it's very useful. Lay it on the floor near the driver seat so you may easily find the most level spot in the site prior to actual leveling. I found it to be quite accurate, the readings are in inches per foot and degrees.
As long as the degrees are within 3° side to side, and 6° front to back - as looking at your refrigerator it is within tolerances for proper operation; and level enough for comfortable living in your RV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Came back to add one thing... pet peeve of ours more so than fridge (since res fridges don't care if they are level) is to make sure bed level is not head lower than feet and TOO much rolling side to side
this may be something to consider:
https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-03001-Gr...2C1497&sr=8-19
and

https://www.amazon.com/Leveler-Ander...%2C351&sr=8-32
Old 09-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #6

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.ca/Horizontal-Ins...73228493&psc=1

It's just a t-shaped bubble level, with the bubble tubes at 90 degrees to each other. I mounted mine right outside my door, upside down on the Class C overhang. When I get to my site, I pick out what looks to be the most level spot, then lean out the window and take a look at which of the bubbles is high.

That way I know where I'm going to need leveling blocks.

Caveat: be sure your rig is level when you mount one of these. It may need to be adjusted if your overhang isn't exactly angled to plumb.
Good luck!

O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #7

I have two stick on levels near my drivers seat. One on the dash next to the steering wheel and the other on the wall below the drivers window.

I can see how far out I am, right from the drivers seat. I also have figured out how many boards I need to move the bubble one line, 2 boards or 3 inchs.

I look at the levels for the best spot, get out and set the required boards and back or pull up on them.

It doesn't have to be perfect for the fridge to work, just comfortable enough to walk around is close enough.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #8

I use this on my 28' C:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Park, tap on the app on my phone, and it tells me I need 2" under the RF wheel, 4" under the LF, and 2" under the LR. I place my plastic level blocks behind the appropriate wheels, back up onto them, and I'm done and level.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbet View Post
I am close to purchasing a MH, probably a Forester 2351LE. I have researched for many, many hours. I would now like to get a solo perspective on a few items. I will be travelling solo, female, and am retired. I plan to travel for 3-5 months Canada/US over the summer and 2-4 day trips per month throughout Florida the rest of the time.

1. If the MH doesn't have auto-levelers already installed, how easy or difficult is it to level the MH by yourself? Personal experiences pls. Videos I have looked at seem to suggest it is done by two people, and there are lots of tweaks. I can't figure how it can be done easily by one person.

2. Does anyone have the Forester 2351 LE or Sunseeker 2350 LE?

3. Does anyone have a MH no greater than 25 ft bumper to bumper, with no slides, a dinette, and a dedicated bed?

I appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Depending upon how long you are going to keep the MH you might want to consider having hydraulic levelers installed on it. If you are buying new you could add them as an option.
Lynn
Old 09-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #10

Appreciate the further suggestions!
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #11

Dowload the free phone app "level", it has many features, including re-setting true level in the app. I can lay my C-phone on the dash to see when the coach is in the most level place in the site.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I leveled the MH the first time with a small level on the kitchen counter. Then purchased a circular bubble and two sided taped it to a spot that showed level in the cab. Most of the time I can rock and roll back and forth to get level enough. If not leveling blocks. The bubble will be on the high side so put the blocks on the low side opposite the bubble. Experience will tell how much blocking. To get centered on the blocks I pick something on the ground to sight on to tell how much to move onto the blocks.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I use this on my 28' C:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Park, tap on the app on my phone, and it tells me I need 2" under the RF wheel, 4" under the LF, and 2" under the LR. I place my plastic level blocks behind the appropriate wheels, back up onto them, and I'm done and level.
I also suggest the Levelmatepro, it takes any guesswork out of it. It is also helpful in finding the most level spot in a site before you start leveling and in parking lots. I even have it on our 39’ Seneca with auto levelers, it’s great for getting it perfect since the auto levelers always need a little tweaking.
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling