Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #43

Hi Patsy,

If I could go I think I would Just to see all the different places, get photos, maybe pickup some cool bargains along the way! Things aren't looking good for me going but I hope you get the chance, and take it denise
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
thank you What Great story about your dad in law denise
And judging by your wonderful smile, there is a gent out there for you. He will find you when you least expect it. So Dream as if you'll live forever and live as if you'll die today (James Dean). One of the best quotes ever.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaRules
Something about being on the road alone in case I need help (yes, I have RV AAA) plus it's always better sharing the sight-seeing with another person.
This made me shudder after all the horror stories I've read here on iRV2 and on RV.net from people who have AAA and find that they don't seem to know what an RV is, send the wrong size truck or type of service, and that's just when you're able to get help. Seems that in some areas of the country, the AAA policy doesn't apply.

Most RV'ers use CoachNet. They're the best for roadside assistance.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #46

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
This made me shudder after all the horror stories I've read here on iRV2 and on RV.net from people who have AAA and find that they don't seem to know what an RV is, send the wrong size truck or type of service, and that's just when you're able to get help. Seems that in some areas of the country, the AAA policy doesn't apply.

Coach Net X2 here
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #47

Solo Rvers Club
I had already made up my mind not to renew when it came due. Seems most people are steering me to Coachnet and/or Good Sam.

Thanks,
Patsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #48

Thanks, I love James Dean, 'course I grew up to pick men that were like him and thus, I am single but in "their" defense, I was (and maybe still am) a bit of a "Jane Dean"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post
And judging by your wonderful smile, there is a gent out there for you. He will find you when you least expect it. So Dream as if you'll live forever and live as if you'll die today (James Dean). One of the best quotes ever.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #49

Thanks to all who contributed some info on AAA. "Reviews" from customers are important to heed and look into. Especially for those of us who are not mechanically inclined
Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaRules View Post
Hey Denise,

Read this thread with great interest -- wish we didn't live on opposite ends of the USA! I'm 62, solo and new to the RVing experience but want to strike out for a 4-6 month adventure. My comfort level keeps me wondering if I will do it. Everyone tells me just to do it. Something about being on the road alone in case I need help (yes, I have RV AAA) plus it's always better sharing the sight-seeing with another person. Your thoughts on eBay and photography along the way are interesting. I've had an eBay store for a couple of years now and write websites for about 10 years now. Never considered using the RVing adventure as a possible income producing venture.

My ideal first trip would be camping and traveling along wide another RVer. Am a member of several solo groups so it's still a possibility of finding someone wanting to head out from the Southeastern USA to visit the Dakotas, Wyoming then down to Arizona and New Mexico.

What are the areas of interest you want to visit in your first trip?

Patsy

Everyone told me I could do it too...but being able to do it...and actually doing it can be quite different!!

I became an "accidental" full-timer when I sold my house and bought a cute little Arctic Fox TT to stay in an RV Resort until I could find another house.

Well...never found that other house! The Fox got too small for me, so bought a larger Wildcat 5th Wheel. Nothing to pull it with, mind you...just the 5th wheel. Still thinking, at that point that this Resort was temporary. That was about a year and half ago!

In all that time I have said to myself I really want to travel around - and, like, everyone has assured me that I could do that alone. I've looked at trucks that would pull the rig, Class As, Class Cs, towables...and every other combination of RV life on the road.

I worked for years and made decisions on a daily basis without an issue, but it seems that retirement caused my decision-making abilities to get overwhelmed easily!!

No matter how I parsed it, there would be three vehicles (or two if I got a truck to pull the 5er) and maybe 40-50 ft and 15000 lbs involved in the process. I am 65 yrs old and haven;'t driven anything larger than a little 18 ft Winnebago Class C on a VW chassis. It was almost no bigger than a VW bus. Although I don't have any major medical issues, I am not a mountain climber, biker or kayaker. It was all waaaay intimidating.

Then my son called from Vegas, and needs me to stay with them there for the summer to help out with my granddaughter...a beautiful 10 yr old whose parents both work so summer vacation is always tricky.

I help out with her often, though. She loves her grandma, and it saves them having to shell out for someone to keep her from being a latch-key kid in the summer. Vegas isn't my favorite city...but at least a month or two a year is worth it to spend some time with them.

So I thought - hey, this time instead of staying at their house, this could be my opportunity to actually travel with the RV, and so started looking again...at Vegas RV resorts and camps, more trucks and Class As and Cs and towables, thinking that that I could help with my granddaughter, then start my "on the road" adventure from Vegas.

Wrong. $50k for a new truck that can pull this thing. $60k or more for a used 2000 or later A or C, plus a towable. I have a Dakota and an older Honda Wagon. They are not light vehicles. I guess I could sell, or trade them. But with all that...there goes my comfortable paid-off retirement!

So I contacted a couple of advertised RV movers. Wow...in the mid-thousands to drive the 5er to Vegas. Gas for the Honda, storage for Dakota, home address for all my mail in flux, and so many other considerations.

So, once again, I will leave the 5th wheel here at the resort, drive to Vegas (because I hate to fly), and return when I'm done.

But there is a bright side. A really bright side! I love not doing yard work. I love heated pools and spas. I love people...and meeting new people all the time here. I love fun. I love having a few glasses of wine, lots of get-togethers, songs and games with the winter Texans. And some good friendships and time with the residents here. It's a good life, an economically reasonable life-style, a laid-back atmosphere and we have each other's backs. And I don't have to worry about my rig while I am gone.

So I will travel - sometime. Maybe this winter, next year...or when I'm 70! LOL...I have plenty of time!

Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures.
justsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #51

i'm a solo rv .does get lonely at times ..but meet a lot of great people .spent the winter in Florida ..had a blast ...lot of people took me under there wing and invited me to have dinner with them ...in va. at this time ...Lee
Lee jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #52

Hi Sue If you ask me, you are a full-time RV'r, you are just not having to move to meet new people

I am 60, as you probably read, but I know what you mean about being overwhelmed. We are not all alike and it is harder for some to do the same things, maybe impossible. People mean well and are trying to be encouraging.

I will be working long into retirement years (or what are considered to be) so being in your shoes doesn't sound shabby at all to me!! Party on girl!!

Denise
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #53

Happy for you Lee! I know it must be great and I won't give up on the idea because no one knows for sure what today holds!

Happy Trails!! Denise
Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Getting ready to go!

Well...I finally made some decisions and took action! I bought a 1998 30' Class C Four Winds Chateau. It was in great cosmetic shape and reasonably priced (which I hope doesn't translate into issues later) and has only 33,500 miles on it. I am picking it up Monday and will take my first short "get used to it" trip on Wednesday. I am only going to Dallas (about 250 miles from me) to spend Memorial Day weekend camping with my sister, nieces and their families. Do not have a tow dolly, so I am not going to tow my car yet.

Then, I leave for Las Vegas to look after my granddaughter for a couple months. If it all goes well in Dallas, I will drive the Chateau to Vegas, and probably rent a tow dolly from Uhaul for that trip. If it doesn't go well, I will just drive the Honda like I had originally planned to do and be very sad about it!

I will store the C (and take it out just to camp and play with my family) while I am in Vegas because I will still be paying Resort rent for the 5th Wheel here in New Braunfels while I am gone.

I decided to keep the 5th wheel that I am living in just in case this doesn't work out! The 5th wheel is a nice 2o10 Wildcat, and the Class C is a much older unit, and untried as yet. !

I can't really store the Wildcat because everything I own is in it and it gets well over the "melt" temp here in Texas without A/C...and also I would have to change my address with everyone I do business with, insurance, doctors, banks, and on and on...in less than a couple weeks. Nope, that won't work.

After the Vegas trip, I hope to feel good enough about the Class C experience and my current lack of confidence, and competence, to make a more informed decision about the whole traveling alone thing.

I really hope this works out for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	127557-1-large.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	39104  
justsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Sue!!!

I'm sure you'll love it and in no time you'll feel as confident as an old veteran when it comes to travel and set up.

You'll have some bumps in the road. Just learn from them and don't let them get you discouraged.

Best of luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsue View Post
Well...I finally made some decisions and took action! I bought a 1998 30' Class C Four Winds Chateau. It was in great cosmetic shape and reasonably priced (which I hope doesn't translate into issues later) and has only 33,500 miles on it. I am picking it up Monday and will take my first short "get used to it" trip on Wednesday. I am only going to Dallas (about 250 miles from me) to spend Memorial Day weekend camping with my sister, nieces and their families. Do not have a tow dolly, so I am not going to tow my car yet.

Then, I leave for Las Vegas to look after my granddaughter for a couple months. If it all goes well in Dallas, I will drive the Chateau to Vegas, and probably rent a tow dolly from Uhaul for that trip. If it doesn't go well, I will just drive the Honda like I had originally planned to do and be very sad about it!

I will store the C (and take it out just to camp and play with my family) while I am in Vegas because I will still be paying Resort rent for the 5th Wheel here in New Braunfels while I am gone.

I decided to keep the 5th wheel that I am living in just in case this doesn't work out! The 5th wheel is a nice 2o10 Wildcat, and the Class C is a much older unit, and untried as yet. !

I can't really store the Wildcat because everything I own is in it and it gets well over the "melt" temp here in Texas without A/C...and also I would have to change my address with everyone I do business with, insurance, doctors, banks, and on and on...in less than a couple weeks. Nope, that won't work.

After the Vegas trip, I hope to feel good enough about the Class C experience and my current lack of confidence, and competence, to make a more informed decision about the whole traveling alone thing.

I really hope this works out for me!
Awesome rig Sue! I am so happy you get to go for it, and try things out at least. I think that is such a good way to go, try it out instead of jumping off the deep-end first times out Keep us up to date here if you can. I would love to know how things are going Denise