Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

New member with van. Many questions

I'm a new member. I have a 99 E350 van I converted for camping. I plan to do some solo trips, not full time, just short trips at first.

I'm in south east Michigan. I've been to 3 State parks near me.
One thing I noticed right away is how many camp people have dogs. Barking dogs somehow just doesn't sound like relaxing camping to me. Am I alone in this thought? I thought camping would be peaceful and quiet... I was wrong (again).
I know the haters will be in full force, but, are there any camp ground that have a no pets policy? At the risk of even more haters, are there any no kids campgrounds as well? Mommies yelling at Jimmy all day isn't enjoyable either.

I'm an old retired fart and for some strange reason, I like peace and quiet. I can't be the only one, can I?

Yes I can go off into the woods and be away from noise. I plan to do that but I also want to travel around and be with nice friendly quiet people. I have a hearing condition called Tinnitus. Sudden loud noises, like a dog bark, send me up into the atmosphere when I jump. No fun.

Since I'm new, I'm still researching things. I see there are solo group travelers, but don't know how to find any solo groups in Michigan. Where would I look for them?

I watch MANY Youtube camper people and Love the places they go but again, they all seem to have dogs... I can step in dog poo at home, don't need to smell it or step in it while camping.

I know they have leash laws in Michigan but from what I've seen, the pet owners think there dog is exempt from any such rule.

Talking to someone about their barking dog is not advisable. They will tell you their dog has a right to bark etc. I don't need to fight and argue, I just need/want somewhere quiet I can go and talk with nice peaceful people.
What are your thoughts? Am I crazy?
Thanks for reading all of this.
Danford1
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Happy to be here!

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
RV parks and developed camp grounds are are kind of like the city and the woods is still the woods. There are 55 and older RV parks but i doubt you would get through the gate with a 20 year old van. You ask if you're crazy, yep. Sit back and relax. Don't like dogs or children, probably aren't a fan of old whiskey.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #3

Yes, I’m new. I didn’t know campgrounds had a vehicle age requirement. I have a lot to learn. Thanks for responding.
Danford1
Old 07-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dan, you are not going to get away from the dogs. 55 and over they have dogs.

We to are retired. We find the state parks are almost kid free sunday night through thursday night. Except when school is out.

I hope you were joking about not expecting dogs and kids.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danford1 View Post
Yes, Iím new. I didnít know campgrounds had a vehicle age requirement. I have a lot to learn. Thanks for responding.
Danford1
my suggestion is some noise canceling insulation in your van and earplugs at night. Some places have quite times IE 12am to 6am.
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:25 PM   #6

Barking kidz screaming dogs drive me nuts!!..The best thing to do is only camp during the weekdays...It's sorta worked for me, this last Saturday was just crazy starting at 7 AM. Good thing I was checking out and headed home...My neighbors dogs are pretty cool and no yard monkeys...
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #7

Dan. Being that we are both Michiganders I have found that during the winter months that we spend in Florida, nearly all the campgrounds(including state parks) are adults only. Lots of dogs but since the average age is probably 70+ folks have been very respectful and considerate with their dogs. I suspect that is probably the case with most areas from November-April since the kids are in school and the spring breakers are just starting in the spring. After labor day in Michigan until late fall not many kids in the campgrounds during the week again do to school and school related activities. June, July and August well those are the months when each CG is potluck....running a fan at night helps with some of the background noise.....
Old 07-27-2021, 12:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sweat View Post
my suggestion is some noise canceling insulation in your van and earplugs at night. Some places have quite times IE 12am to 6am.

The problem is dogs can't tell time nor do they care... Someone goes for a midnight stroll and they start barking again. One barks they all bark, maybe not all but it sounds like it...
Old 07-27-2021, 12:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Dan. Being that we are both Michiganders I have found that during the winter months that we spend in Florida, nearly all the campgrounds(including state parks) are adults only. Lots of dogs but since the average age is probably 70+ folks have been very respectful and considerate with their dogs. I suspect that is probably the case with most areas from November-April since the kids are in school and the spring breakers are just starting in the spring. After labor day in Michigan until late fall not many kids in the campgrounds during the week again do to school and school related activities. June, July and August well those are the months when each CG is potluck....running a fan at night helps with some of the background noise.....

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. During the week only camping might be the best for me. It should be easier to get a spot too. Having to book in advance, pay in advance with no refund is crazy, if you can even get a site.

I appreciate all the answers from everyone - Thank you.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #10

Danford1
Hear in Pennsylvania our state parks have a pet and no pet areas. Moms and kids will always be. There is on age limits for campers. National parks have no age limits but no separate places for pets. Come enjoy our Pennsylvania and national parks. We are not that far away!
Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Danford1
Hear in Pennsylvania our state parks have a pet and no pet areas. Moms and kids will always be. There is on age limits for campers. National parks have no age limits but no separate places for pets. Come enjoy our Pennsylvania and national parks. We are not that far away!
Dusty
Thank you for responding, I appreciate it.

What is the age limit for campers?
So far the parks in Michigan havenít turned me away for having a 1999.

Danford1
Danford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #12

MW22r, you were correct. I went to a State Park yesterday, Wednesday. There were very few campers. The only time I heard a barking dog is when I went for a walk around the park. A campers dog barked at Everyone that walked by of course the owner didn’t do anything to shut it up..
I picked a site listed as “secluded “. Not not my idea of secluded as the entire front of the site was open to the campers straight across from me. They of course had kids and a dog but were pretty quiet.
There were far fewer campers in the middle of the week. I’ll do more mid week camping.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
Danford1

PS. Perhaps I can reserve more than just one campsite to be secluded. That would have worked pretty good yesterday had I reserved the site across from me too ��

Tags