RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:15 AM   #1471

Sounds like fun. Welcome.
Cherilanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #1472

Hi All,

I'm picking up my first ever TT this week and am excited to get out and see the country, and meet fellow travelers in the coming months.

I am a Merchant Mariner, and spend 6-7 months/yr at sea. When I'm home, I have a a good chunk of free time, and have had my sights set on (primarily) international travel. However, after nearly being stuck in Costa Rica in March due to the panic-demic, (yes, I know, not a terrible place to be stuck), I had the realization that there's a LOT of the US that I haven't explored.

Add to that, my chagrin at paying rent for 12 months, while only using my home for 6, and the RV "lightbulb" went off...so here I am, after a seemingly endless journey of research, shopping, learning and negotiating with a new truck and trailer, and a wide-open map and schedule when I'm ashore.

Hope to see ya out there!
NW Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:11 AM   #1473

Solo Rvers Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Enjoy. There is alot to see and do in the USA.
It is a great way to travel.
cpatinjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #1474

Solo

Hi everyone. I'm currently looking for an RV so I can start traveling solo. Any suggestions?
SweetMelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMelissa View Post
Hi everyone. I'm currently looking for an RV so I can start traveling solo. Any suggestions?
Welcome!

That is an open ended question without knowing more about your situations.

Your first RV does not have to be your last. I think the biggest mistake is going too big and expensive to start. Pay cash for your first one.

My first RV was a 16' TT, loved but never thought I would end up in a Class A DP. I am full time and I hate going to a laundromat but then also too big for some campgrounds.

So you see there is a lot to consider. If you do not have a tow vehicle, think about a Class C.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #1476

A small class C has served me well since 2017. The big advantage for me was that I was able to find a well vetted unit, not an unknown money pit.

Way up north -

Aged out of two wheels and made the switch to four -
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #1477

Hello everyone. Lost my better half in October, she would want me to
continue to go camping, so I guess I will join the ranks of the solo campers

Joe
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #1478

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Hello everyone. Lost my better half in October, she would want me to

continue to go camping, so I guess I will join the ranks of the solo campers

Joe

Sorry for your loss. I felt the same way. Plus, I find being on the road in my RV is much less lonely than sitting at home. The daily adventures exploring this great country and conversations with fellow RVers help to distract from your loss and grief. Itís very hard at first but gets easier over time. I lost my wife a little over 3 years ago.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Sorry for your loss. I felt the same way. Plus, I find being on the road in my RV is much less lonely than sitting at home. The daily adventures exploring this great country and conversations with fellow RVers help to distract from your loss and grief. Itís very hard at first but gets easier over time. I lost my wife a little over 3 years ago.
Randy, thank you for your compassion. I have a trip planned for
Florida (we went every year) for a month. There are other friends who go
to the same place as well. This will be my test if I want to continue on
my own ( I know she would want me too). I am not alone, my daughter and
grand kids live on the same property and I have a disabled son who lives here
as well. I just feel lost
Thanks again
Joe
Old 01-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #1480

Condolences to those who have lost their wives. Mine chose to leave after 15 years because she wasn't 'happy'. The joke's on her though, I've lived a good single life ever since while she became a cat lady.

My epic 2018 USA/Canada trip of 38,295 miles, spanning 7 months, would have been impossible with her. Not once during that trip did I wish someone was with me, I went where I wanted, when I wanted, if I wanted with no drama or conflict - introversion has its advantages.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #1481

Entegra Owners Club
I'm new to the Solo RV life and fulltime RV life, my sweetheart passed away in November from cancer. My house in New Orleans is on the market, estate sale is set for January 30th and I'm on my lot at Bella Terra. I doubt if I will go back to NOLA unless I have to for some reason. I have a small storage unit 5X10 that has everything I'm keeping from the house in it. Sad that all the furniture, train set, and lots of memorabilia will be going to others, but hopefully they will enjoy it.

Heading to Myakka River Motorcoach Resort for the month of Feb to have a change of scenery and be a bit warmer than lower Alabama. Currently planning a trip out west late spring, summer and possibly fall! We were in the "cone" of 8 hurricanes this past summer and we couldn't leave because of Dan's health. Pure hell ....

Anyway ... instead of just looking at the Entegra Owners thread, guess I will be checking this one and the fulltimers as well.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #1482

I've been a solo RVer for years and a member of IRV for nearly a year but just found IRV2 Solos.
all my camping has been boondocking BLM or dry camping in NP cg's or NFS cgs. Maybe some day I'll try a FHU Rv cg but nothing on the agenda so far this year.
I hope to run into some of you along the trail!
Old Yesterday, 06:19 AM   #1483

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I'm new to the Solo RV life and fulltime RV life, my sweetheart passed away in November from cancer. My house in New Orleans is on the market, estate sale is set for January 30th and I'm on my lot at Bella Terra. I doubt if I will go back to NOLA unless I have to for some reason. I have a small storage unit 5X10 that has everything I'm keeping from the house in it. Sad that all the furniture, train set, and lots of memorabilia will be going to others, but hopefully they will enjoy it.

Heading to Myakka River Motorcoach Resort for the month of Feb to have a change of scenery and be a bit warmer than lower Alabama. Currently planning a trip out west late spring, summer and possibly fall! We were in the "cone" of 8 hurricanes this past summer and we couldn't leave because of Dan's health. Pure hell ....

Anyway ... instead of just looking at the Entegra Owners thread, guess I will be checking this one and the fulltimers as well.
I know exactly how you feel. I lost my wife in October to cancer as well, and
getting ready to make my first solo trip to Florida very soon. I hope that all
goes well for you on your journey. We were married for 50 years so I have never been solo before and don't know if I will enjoy doing this by myself
or not, but I have promised myself that I would at least give it a try. I will
let you all know how I make out.

Joe
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM   #1484

I lost my wife of 44 years to cancer 2 years ago. I sold the house and bought a new Entegra Esteem. RVing was something we both enjoyed doing together. I found going solo was different but not something to worry about. As I visited places we went to in the past, there was some sadness over memories that will never be repeated but then again, I had those happy memories.

Last year I started chatting with another widow who lived in Florida. I live in Washington. Last January I made the solo trip to Florida to stay there for 4 months. The trip was the best one I had ever taken. It was pre Covid so I stopped and visited family and friends I hadnít seen in years. I visited lots of tourist stops as well. I took a full month to drive the 4,100 miles. I loved Florida especially at that time of year. We quarantined together, got to know each other, and fell in love with each other. In May, I had to return home.

I am leaving hopefully on Saturday to make the trip again, this time to help her sell her house and come back with me. It is our plan to spend 6 months in Florida and 6 months in the PNW.

My reason for telling you all this is to let you know that life does go on after the death of a spouse. I had lots of folks tell me not to make any major decisions for at least a year after losing a spouse. What they donít consider is with cancer it is often a lingering death with time to talk with your spouse about how you see your life unfolding after they are gone. With my wife, it was a difficult talk but one that gave me great comfort to have her blessing. We also undergo anticipatory grief as we see the life we had planned together go away. My wife was quadriplegic for over 2 years prior to her death. Another consideration was my age. At 66 I didnít want to waste a year of my life waiting for ďThe right timeĒ.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best in your adventures. We only stop living when we no longer seek adventure.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv

« Canít wait | - »