Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:37 PM   #1513
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Oh Ted, my heart breaks for you. There's been just too many of us at iRV2 new to this lifestyle. I'm barely 3 months ahead of you in this unexpected/unwanted journey & know your pain. Please know the iRV2 family is with you, especially those of us posting in this forum. Do not hesitate to reach out to any one of us for support. We are here for you.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #1514

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Well I am now also in the solo rv club. My wife passed suddenly from a heart attack related to her Chemo treatments. You never know how life can change in an instant. We are youngish. She was 54 and I am 55. I still work full time but live in our bus. I was going to retire at the end of the year so we could start our adventure. How do you keep the desire to do it alone? Iím having a hard time finding purpose.

Iím very sorry for your loss. I lost my wife 3.5 years ago after a short fight with Pancreatic cancer. She was young too (61). I was retired already though. For me, continuing to travel was easier than staying home. The adventure of exploring helped to detract from my grief for at least part of each day. I travel about 7 months a year in 2-3 chunks then go home to visit my daughter and grandkids. It was very hard at first but over time it will get easier even though you will never get over the loss.

I recently downsized from our 41 ft DP (Tiffin Phaeton) to a 25 ft class C Winnebago View and Iím thoroughly enjoying the ease of travel by downsizing.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #1515

Entegra Owners Club
My heart goes out to you. I too, lost my husband in November due to Prostate Cancer. I also wanted to go full time before, but my husband still wanted to keep "things". So, after he passed, I did an estate sale and my house is currently on the market. I left New Orleans in December, and doubt if I will ever return. Actually, doing it alone is good. The RV community is great and if you need help, someone there is always willing to help. You might want to look into doing a Grief Share group. The one I was with did it on Zoom. It really did help, knowing that what you are going through is quite normal. You will find a new normal, I'm still working on that. But, I am very hopeful ... take one day at a time and put your trust in the lord (or your higher power). You can do it!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #1516

Solo Rvers Club
Condolences on your loss. You state: "I still work full time but live in our bus". Can you "telecommute" or, do you need to show up to an office or other fixed location? If you can telecommute, why not follow your former plan and, when safe to do so, hit the road to places you and your wife wanted to see. If you occasionally attend a major rally (Escapees RV Club, FMCA, "Type" club etc), there will often be other solos attending. Upon arrival, let the parking crew know you'd like to be parked in the solo's area (otherwise you'll just be parked in the next available spot). If you are "anchored" because of work, start planning where you'd like to go once you are free to travel. If at all possible, DON'T make any major changes immediately. Give yourself the time you need to grieve and adapt to you new situation. If you haven't traveled before, start slowly. RV travel will be different from simply living in an RV that doesn't move. CHECKLISTS will be your new friends; USE them! Covid has turned the world on its' head. I've ben "isolating in place" in northeast TN for about 13 months now and, I expect I'll stay here for several months more (and possibly longer). As much as I'd LOVE to travel again, I am not DYING to do so. Especially in view of the fact that SO many people refuse to take the simplest of precautions like wearing a mask when they go out. Things WILL get easier for you over time. Take it one day at a time. In the end, that's really all any of us can do. Good luck!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:44 PM   #1517
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. sounds like lots of good advice. We/I do move around the area because I hate staying in one spot more than a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I do have to physically be at the office. I still plan on working the rest of this year and reviewing my finances and future. I have enough I could do it now if I budget properly but I need to wait till this turmoil passes. I will look into the grief share.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Well I am now also in the solo rv club. My wife passed suddenly from a heart attack related to her Chemo treatments. You never know how life can change in an instant. We are youngish. She was 54 and I am 55. I still work full time but live in our bus. I was going to retire at the end of the year so we could start our adventure. How do you keep the desire to do it alone? Iím having a hard time finding purpose.
My heart goes out to you and I feel your pain. I lost my wife and friend of 50 years in October from cancer as well. I have grieved every day since.
I made two short and close by trips just to clear my head, I think that it worked somewhat or at least it was a diversion from the sadness.
Your purpose has to be to continue on with you life. I am sure that your wife would have wanted you too. Try and find some one who has had the same
experience and they will be able to guide you thru the grief process.
If you would like to share, PM me and we can exchange numbers etc.
Keep up the faith my friend and I know that time will make the scab on the would get a little thicker.

The Best,
Joe
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #1519

I have traveled alone for a couple years. Well dog and cat with me. Luckily they are best friends and get along wonderfully. I love doing whatever I want. I had a woman travel with me at the start but she was just using me for my money. She was in her early 30s but didn’t want to work lol. I am almost retired in my early 40s.
Myjunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv