Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #701

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post
Hi nygal, and welcome!

You leave your dogs in a rig that is equipped to give heat if it is cold, and AC if it is hot. Barring that....you travel to places where you don't have to worry about either one. Simple.

You will NOT be able to escape dirt/rain coming in, via the feet...it just ain't a gonna happen...LOL! Bring, a broom/vacuum, rags and towels. And ways to wash/groom the dogs.

Ditto the fleas/ticks if you are in an area of the country that has that problem.

I go to the Ozarks with my dogs...often in the spring/summer. Since I won't put poison on/in my animals...I use a natural essential oil-based spray to repel/kill the pests. Also, I have Food Grade Diatomatous Earth to sprinkle around the rig, if necessary. You can also dust it on the animal, and they can eat it to get rid of tapeworm. I've done all of that with success.

Since I have 2 Shih-Tzus, and they must be groomed every 2 weeks, I also bring a few grooming tools with me for them. Prior to my leaving for my trip, I groom them...cut their hair very short, and pretty much soak them in the natural flea spray, and bring the bottle along with us.

Once on a rainy day during a month-long trip I bathed a Shih-Tzu in a utility sink that was available at a MN CG we stayed at. She's so small that no one really noticed what I actually was doing in that sink. I don't know if it was actually against the rules or not, as nothing was posted about it. But I was very quick about it, and made sure not to leave any mess or hair behind.

Another time at an Upstate NY CG I simply hosed her off from a neighboring site by hooking up a spare hose that I carry. Then I finished grooming her on my picnic table. Easy Peasy.

The coupla times they've gotten ticks, I've used a Tick Key ASPCA Tick Key : AspcaOnlineStore.com, or tweezers to take them off.

As far as the small space; they all 3 sleep with me, but have their own little beds for during the day.

They also have car seats for when we're driving. The littlest Shih-Tzu and the Chihuahua share one. And the larger Shih-Tzu has her own.

All part of the RV life with pets!!
nygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #702

I still have not been able to figure this RV stuff out yet. I am not sure what to get … the RV Class C … or the travel trailer type. I am also so concerned about handling one on the road and the RV life in general. Is there anyone out here who lives this way full time who is single and had never previously Lived this life ?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #703

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I still have not been able to figure this RV stuff out yet. I am not sure what to get … the RV Class C … or the travel trailer type. I am also so concerned about handling one on the road and the RV life in general. Is there anyone out here who lives this way full time who is single and had never previously Lived this life ?
I would start with what I currently have: if you have a tow vehicle already, then you must figure out what the towing capacity is. Based on that you can search for compatible towables.
Or, conversely you may already own a flat-towable car. Then all you need is the MH to pull it, and the tow bar and base plate set-up.

One other consideration is that many RVing women don't like the idea of being "stuck" in a towable if there's a safety concern. ...you see you can't just walk to the driver's seat within the towable and get the heck outta there. You have to first go outside....then into your tow vehicle.

Also while I was traveling here to the Ozarks I noticed some of the same vehicles passing me over and over again. It occurred to me that they were stopping for gas. My MH has 55 gall fuel tank, so I stopped very few times. I found that I would not like it if I had to stop that many times during a long trip for gas.
If I ever DID buy a towable, I would be sure my tow vehicle had a very large gas tank, or dual tanks.

An issue concerning MHs is the fact that they are way more expensive than a towable.
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:49 PM   #704

Thank you for your helpful replies. Actually I have a Honda Civic and would need to tow it behind a MH of some kind. Any suggestions for specific models ?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #705

Nygal, you might want to post your concerns on the "full timers" forum as well. There is a wealth of information from folks on this site. Wonderful, smart, helpful folks who have experienced the same things you have on their journeys from beginning to present or end as the case may be.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #706

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
nygal,

It can be a little confusing at the start. I'm full time but judging by the posts, less... well off than most here. But I'm pretty much average for the solos I've actually met on the road. I have to work for a living but I'm able to do so. Most solos I've met are either not on line or prefer to lurk. There is no good solo site.

Solos are quite a bit different than "normal" fulltimers. There's a guy over at a TX based web site that says that not true- some of his best friends are solos... or was that blacks or maybe gays... I fergit. LOL.

Most advice from "regular" fulltimers doesn't quite fit. For instance, I've been on solar for over a month now and found most of the guru's postings to be unhelpful.

If you have a vehicle that can be towed, and there are web sites that list them, a Class C or an A are likely best. Most solos tend to stay with a motorhome. It is just easier. A's are really "trucks". They last longer, carry more weight and are much more expensive to repair. Just price tires or a windshield replacement in an A vs. a C. For me- its a no brainer. Everbody works the numbers and the convienence factors differently. I hate to say it but you need to meet other solos on the road and see what works for them. And how do you meet them??? Easy, be on the road too!

Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't know your situation.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #707

"Mangy Dog" gave you the best advice you are going to get.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #708

Mangy Dog...I'm looking at solar options now..what info do you have on solar that's different from the "gurus". I'm really trying to collect all the info I can. Thanks

Wayne from PA
Old 06-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #709

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thank you for your helpful replies. Actually I have a Honda Civic and would need to tow it behind a MH of some kind. Any suggestions for specific models ?

The Civic is not on the list of cars that can be towe. 4 down, which means you would need the added weight and complication of a tow dolly or trailer.

As for specific models of RV it all depends on your financial resources.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #710

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne from PA View Post
Mangy Dog...I'm looking at solar options now..what info do you have on solar that's different from the "gurus". I'm really trying to collect all the info I can. Thanks

Wayne from PA
Wayne,

The big thing is don't overthink it. Weigh your rig and decide how much weight you can devote to a solar system. Batteries are heavy and panels aren't real light either. Then look at your budget and see how much you can afford to spend. See what "your" system can provide. Is the benefit worth the money you'll need to spend and missing the stuff you'll have to leave behind?

No silly "energy audit". Heck you don't even have to dig any footers! The gurus are into this stuff and enjoy playing with it. All I want is a fair charge on my batteries. I'm also not worried about a spouse or rugrats. I know about how much I ran my generator and how much driving I did last year. This year I'm pretty much moored so a small system, 120 watts, looked cost effective. As it is my employer has a 260 watt system in place for my use. It uses 3 marine starting/deep cycle batteries. The gurus would crap if they found a working setup without REAL deep cycle batteries! LOL! This system runs my whole Class C through an 800 watt inverter. Obviously my microwave is in storage this trip. No electric toaster or coffee pot along either. If I had brought that kind of stuff, I'd start the freaking generator to use it.

I tend to put the solar gurus in the same class as the dutch oven fanatics or the weight police. A bit overweight won't kill you and yes you can feed the multitudes a 12 course meal with your trusty Lodge ?? inch "DO". But why bother?

I think 2 120 watt panels, installed reasonably, would be fine for a solo with light or average demands. That "average" is based on the solos I've met on the road. Two 130 watt panels hooked up with excessive losses (inverters and two sets of batteries) provide more power than I use.

Heck if the sun begins shining a little more I'll try running my 2-way fridge on electric with the set up I'm using now.

By the way, I bought a kit (yet to be used) from Solar Avenue. Price was OK and shipping was free. Customer service was poor. BUT those folks answering the phone knew all about solar- they just didn't know how to treat customers!

That's pretty much it. If you're rich- go the guru route and hire everthing done. If you're on a budget try my method. For most people I still don't think solar is cost effective. And I actually sold solar hot water systems in the '80's. If I was still moving around this summer I wouldn't have bought solar. If you haven't lived in your rig for at least a year-don't bother. You might not even like the life style.

Also be careful of the folks with a financial interest in stuff- any RV stuff. There are some jokers around that are "ambassadors" for about everything. They make money when they convince you to buy a particular product.

Obviously my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it- just like the gurus.
mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 AM   #711

For those of you torn between a Class A or Class C, several of the manufacturers are combining the two and coming up with some smaller, affordable coaches that seem interesting. A few that caught my eye at the big RV show in Tampa last January:

Thor's new Axis or Vegas. They would be tight to full-time in, but won awards, look easy to drive, and are fairly low priced for new Class A RVs.

There were other combos like the FR3 and Storm that seemed interesting.

My favorite on the economy side was Thor's 29H Outlaw class C that comes with a garage (and party patio ramp) for storing motorcycles, other toys, kennel cages, a bedroom, or whatever you want to put into it.

The downside of course, is that these are all fairly new designs, so they aren't very available pre-owned at this time.
Shangri-La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #712

Solo Rvers Club
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Name is Ken and I'm a retired, solo for now (widowed in '94), empty nester, formerly a diesel/truck technician, escapee from the Twinkie people before their last bankruptcy. Peterbilts, Binders, Macks, Fords, Oshkosh, Freightliners, Cats, Cummins, DDs, Isuzus, Onans, and just about anything else over the 40+ years. NHRA fan. Fisherman , well I didn't say fish catcherman!

Daughter, DH and 2.5 yo grand daughter are near San Diego. Son and DW are near Chicago. I'm just outside of Minneapolis, and wishin' I was closer to my GD so I could spoil her .

Hoping to get out of my S&B's this summer now that the housing market seems to be improving and acquire a DP so I can travel between the two and see the rest of this beautiful country before the grim reaper catches up with me . Finding a trravel partner would be good too !! Course I been perfecting procrastination for the last 4.5 yrs and continue to work diligently at that so may continue to be a dream ?!%?

Hope to see you on the road soon!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #713

Ford Super Duty Owner
Talking about which one to get we rented a class C and a class A and the was no comparison. The class A was so much roomier and the ride was so much better. You sit a lot higher is a Class A also. We were going to buy a 29' and ran across a 36' for the same price and love it. I am kind of retired and the wife I don't think will ever retire. Thinking about doing a little alone driving myself but the last time I did the alone thing I backed into the gutter of the house making sure I missed the fence. Now I am gun shy.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #714

new solo

Hello,
My name is John, I am a widower for 1-1/2 years. I enjoyed going out in our Monaco coach with my wife very much. After her passing with a long illness I had no interest in the coach, because it was not the same without my wife.

Our daughter encouraged me to go out in the coach which is what I doing now and going to the places my wife and I enjoyed, in Florida.

I am thinking of going to other places now but I do not feel confident enough to go to places I have not been to before. My question is, are there ways I could contact or sources to find other people possibly traveling in a small or large group together, for safety and companionship to a destination, rally or place of interest?

I am not sure if my questions and concerns are put in proper words but I had to try so that I might look forward to using the coach and seeing the country.
I am a senior and could travel to the point of full time.
Thank you, I wish you a peaceful day, John
blueseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv