Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #1359

Newmar Owners Club
Ready to launch

Started setting up for full time life in January and hitting the road officially to work my way north for the summer. Home base is Texas where I still have family but plan to run from the heat every summer. I'm traveling with my pup Winston and have our first 4 months planned. Not sure how it will be traveling alone and how enjoyable it will be to see the sights and explore the country on my own, but I am officially a full timer and sold it all to give the RV life a try. Ready or not here I come, or here we come.

Jeff and Winston Dog
Jeff.Wieters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 07:19 AM   #1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedhoff View Post
Thought I'd stop in and introduce myself....looked like an interesting forum so why not - Pacific Northwest oriented (WA, OR) retired camper currently completing 2 month stay in desert SW (Vegas area and El Centro CA (79 deg today). Going to moisy over to San Diego for several week stay visiting daughter then snails pace Northward, 30+ days back to WA state.

Thinking about going full-time Snowbird routine and getting out of stick house/snow/rain in WA into SW Desert location for Winter, and back RV Pad/Lot in Western WA for nice Summer weather.

Suggestions welcome for Western WA RV Pad/Lot rental/purchase.

Greetings

James
Escapees member
Outdoors RV forum member
Possible WIN member (TBD),
—————————-
Hi James. I also have a daughter in the Seattle, WA area. I’m originally from New York, started snowbirding in Florida and am now driving cross country to see her. I would also love to find an RV site to spend my summers near her. A challenge that would have been so much easier if my husband were still alive. He passed 14 months ago from pancreatic cancer. I’m at crossroads. I don’t know whether to keep or sell my 40’ Dutchstar. If I found the right travel companion, maybe that would help, but it seems everyone here wants to keep their own coach. Maybe I need to hire someone with muscle to captain my ship. The driving part is easy. It’s the generator, batteries, attachments to toad that are difficult for one person.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #1361

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Patty. Sorry for your loss. I lost my wife 22 months ago from pancreatic cancer. I travel about half time in 40 ft DP. Currently on trip heading to the Canadian Maritime Provinces. I’m considering downsizing sizing to a travel trailer or small class C after this trip. As you mentioned, if I found a travel companion I might reconsider downsizing. But for Ella and I I have too much RV. Too much to maintain.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #1362

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Hi Patty. Sorry for your loss. I lost my wife 22 months ago from pancreatic cancer. I travel about half time in 40 ft DP. Currently on trip heading to the Canadian Maritime Provinces. I’m considering downsizing sizing to a travel trailer or small class C after this trip. As you mentioned, if I found a travel companion I might reconsider downsizing. But for Ella and I I have too much RV. Too much to maintain.
Pancreatic cancer seems to be an all to common theme. I lost my husband to this venal disease 5 years ago.
I did downsize after he died. I traded in our 36 foot Class A for a 25-foot Class C. It was the best decision I could have made. I still tow our old Jeep Cherokee . My little Class C is nimble, easy to drive and big enough for my Greyhound & me. I've travelled all over the country in it and it's small enough to fit in my driveway at home.
dbdjeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #1363

Solo Rvers Club
There are many RVers who find that they are now "new singles" with a large rig that was good for two but, said large rig is now more work that they can (or want) to manage. IF they're interested in continuing their RV travels, downsizing would be one solution. There are RV groups for singles as well as women only. My advise; if you still WANT to RV, don't be so quick to give up. Many of the larger RV rallies / events have solo's areas to facilitate solos meeting solos. Just ask the parking crew where the solos area parking is and then, talk with your new solo neighbors. Decades ago, I was advised to skip the RV purchase and, simply buy a comfortable "touring car". This adviser said I'd spend less and, get to stay in nice hotels instead of dealing with an RV. What he didn't understand is that RV travel provides many benefits that would NOT be available if I had followed his advice. I do NOT regret my decision to travel by RV and, I CHOOSE to deal with RV issues rather than living out of a suitcase, packing and unpacking a car every few days. It's YOUR life; give it some SERIOUS thought and make a decision that works for YOU.
Regards,
John
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #1364

Smile Checking in as a Solo Newbie

I'm new to the solo RV lifestyle, but my husband and I were campers for several years. We started with a 27' Jay Feather, just to see if we liked it and we loved it! At first we just did the weekend thing, then started taking longer trips, so we upgraded to a fifth wheel (I don't remember the specifics of it) but it didn't take long to decide we wanted a motor home. Our first was a 30' Holiday Rambler and after a couple of Winter Texans trips we moved up to a 38' FR Georgetown. That was our dream RV! But after having it a year and a half he was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer and died 5 months later. So after awhile i decided I had to keep our dream alive (but on a smaller scale) so I bought a 2019 24' Jayco Jay Flight and I'm ready to go! I've done one shake down trip close to home and it went well so I'm itching to hit the road! I look forward to getting to know some of you solo'ers too.
Oh, and I'm not completely solo, I have my partner Lilly Belle with me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilly.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	250207  
nanalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #1365

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Dear Mr. Ice T, we might have a lot in common. Maybe we should chat.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #1366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
If you're new to IRV2 Solo's, check in here and introduce yourself! And a warm welcome from the gang in the solo forum!!

Thank you for your welcome. I’m a new RV’r. I just retired and I travel with my two dogs. I just bought a Grand Design, Reflection TT last year after I sold my house. I’m just learning the ropes. The few places I’ve gone I’ve learned so much from so some many kind people. My very first trip was this winter to Myrtle Beach. When I got there I realized I drove under something too low and had to replace my entire roof. I believe it’s always best to start at the top and get the major issues out of the way. My second trip was to Chicago to a wedding in Wisconsin. Great time. My last trip was to skyline Drive I love the mountains, unfortunately, I stayed at what looked to be a great place but was extremely rundown. My next trip is going to be to one of the lakes in Michigan sometime in August. Would like to find a beautiful place to swim and just enjoy the end of the summer. Would like to find a camp ground where it’s not too hot. Any ideas???
Onmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:14 PM   #1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
There are many RVers who find that they are now "new singles" with a large rig that was good for two but, said large rig is now more work that they can (or want) to manage. ...... It's YOUR life; give it some SERIOUS thought and make a decision that works for YOU.
Regards,
John
When Rita died in her sleep in the MH we were camping with a group of old friends. One local couple drove me to a funeral home and suggested that I find support group.

One of the things I learned was not to make major decisions until you have had the time to deal with the painful memories due to your loss and return them to the wonderful memories that they are.

Each of the kids thought we should be living with them not full timing in a MH. Then they thought I should get rid of the big MH after mom died.

Last week the oldest daughter spent a night in the MH and then the next night. It was hard for her. she asked what we did. I sat here, your mom sat where you are and we did what we are doing. We talked.

The subject turned to the pictures that she called the shrine. Of course she recognized mom, her and her brothers. What about that? Mom in Hong Kong, or Macau, or Paris. That one? Our first boondock on the Texas GOM.

How about the cows in formal wear? That came with the MH and just stayed. Listen city girl your mom grew on a dairy farm. I have seen her cry at seeing a dead cow.

The point is an RV can be your home if that is what you choose. Second whatever your home was together it is now going to be too big for one and all the daily chores are done by only one.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #1368

My sweet wife passed away 7 months ago. We had a 27' Winnebago Aspect Class C which was perfect for the 2 of us and our occasional camping trips.

After her passing I decided to "Mostly Time". I have a small apartment close to the kids and grandkids.

I wound up buying a larger 32 and a half foot Class C Entegra. I find it not to be any more upkeep than our smaller old Winnebago except that I now have to do all the cleaning. As I spend a lot of time in the RV, I find that having more room makes livability much easier especially when the weather doesn't cooperate.

I was given the same advice about making major decisions or rather not making them. I know my case is different from many as my wife became quadriplegic and took 2 and a half years to die from the tumor in her spinal cord. I had all that time to grieve and mourn. I had all that time to talk with her about my plans after her death and get her input and approval. I am also in my mid 60's with 2 heart attacks under my belt. If I was younger, say forties or early 50's and my spouse was taken suddenly, I can see the value of waiting a year for major decisions. I just think that advice doesn't fit everyone. In 7 months I have sold my house, bought the RV, rented an apartment, rescued a dog, and did as my wife asked, "enjoy every minute you have left".

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #1369

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
My sweet wife passed away 7 months ago. We had a 27' Winnebago Aspect Class C which was perfect for the 2 of us and our occasional camping trips.

After her passing I decided to "Mostly Time". I have a small apartment close to the kids and grandkids.

I wound up buying a larger 32 and a half foot Class C Entegra. I find it not to be any more upkeep than our smaller old Winnebago except that I now have to do all the cleaning. As I spend a lot of time in the RV, I find that having more room makes livability much easier especially when the weather doesn't cooperate.

I was given the same advice about making major decisions or rather not making them. I know my case is different from many as my wife became quadriplegic and took 2 and a half years to die from the tumor in her spinal cord. I had all that time to grieve and mourn. I had all that time to talk with her about my plans after her death and get her input and approval. I am also in my mid 60's with 2 heart attacks under my belt. If I was younger, say forties or early 50's and my spouse was taken suddenly, I can see the value of waiting a year for major decisions. I just think that advice doesn't fit everyone. In 7 months I have sold my house, bought the RV, rented an apartment, rescued a dog, and did as my wife asked, "enjoy every minute you have left".

Sorry for your loss and great job on keep going!
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #1370

Solo Rvers Club
Condolences on your wife's passing. I'm glad to hear you've chosen to continue RVing. I understand that Entegra's are nice coaches. Wishing you many years of fun travel and adventures. You'll find LOTS of other solo RVers out there.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:17 AM   #1371

New SOLO that should have been a double.

Hi Guys,
I am really new to RV life. My husband and I were going to travel the back roads and explore America when I retired. Unfortunately I lost him to gallbladder cancer 3 years ago before we could get started. I still want to travel I just have to learn things alone instead of doing it as a team. He was an avid fisherman so we owned more boats than RVs. I’m really starting from scratch here. My only RV experience was back in the early 60’s with a small travel trailer growing up.
I am hopeful I can use this forum as a sounding board to help me get off on the right road. I’ve been following several RV groups, vlogs, and youtube. I think I’m ready to get my feet wet.
My plan is to live full-time in a rig. I currently live in the PNW. I have kids and grandkids in 2 different states so I’m always on the road traveling anyway.
I've been looking at the different RV options. I’m thinking class C, 5th wheel, or doing a bus conversion may be in my future. I’m really not happy with the layouts of the class C units I’ve looked at. At least with a bus I could modify a layout somewhat to fit my needs better than a cookie cutter RV. But then when I think about towing a car to use when parked makes me a bit nervous. Then the 5th wheel starts looks good. But I hear 5th wheel units are really “different” to drive so I’m back to the bus idea. It's a viscous circle I can’t get out of.
How did you know what kind of rig you wanted? How do you know if you can handle towing a car behind your class C without problems?
How do you know that a 30’ rig might be too long for you to handle especially with a toad? How can I get some time behind the wheel of a rig to see what I’m comfortable driving or pulling?
The dealers I’ve talked with don’t do “test” drives. One even told me that I would learn when I bought it! That is quite an expensive mistake if I over estimate my ability to drive a big unit.
At 4’11” I have challenges finding a car I can drive comfortably. I have nightmares about trying to drive a 20’ or 30’ rig.
So what advice would you give to help me find a way to narrow down by decision?
justthemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #1372

Choices

Justthemom,

First, I'm sorry for your loss.

You're doing the right thing by researching and asking questions in these forums. I just joined the Escapees Club and will be joining their Solos sub-group soon. A lot of knowledgable folks out here that can help you ask the important questions. You may have realized there is no "right" answer, only the best one for you.

As for driving a larger rig, think about who is driving countless school busses all across this nation. Yeah, those mom's are moving millions of children every day in yellow RVs. OK, so they're not "Recreational" and don't have slide-outs.

Before we bought this Class A, we walked into well over a hundred RVs and just as many online. It was usually all about the floor plan. After 20 or 30, you could see as soon as you stepped in, "Too dark, too light, TV in the wrong place, nice decor if it was just. . ." Then bingo; add a washer & dryer and knock the price to XYZ. We really did buy our "third RV first." Now that I'm solo, I appreciate the extra room.

As for towing, some set-ups are easier than others. My Roadmaster set-up was quite easy when I towed Jeep Liberty, but now I'm pulling a Ford Explorer SportTrac and it's more of a hassle. Look at the tow system, braking system, and how it works for the specific toad. MotorHome Magazine (online too) puts out a great annual list of what vehicles are capable for flat-towing. Many only need the engine to be started daily or maybe every 500 miles. Not really a factor. Compare that to using a large truck as your daily driver if you get a 5th wheel.

No matter what, the learning curve never seems to stop and that's OK. As long as you've got cell service and a hot spot, you've got more support available than you can imagine.

You'll hear it a lot. This is fun.

-Dale
2012 Tiffin Allegro
CMore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv