Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #1429

Introduction

Helloooo! I am new to RVing and don't know what the heck I am doing. I have just purchased a 2007 Coach House 27xls, which I have driven exactly once. It is currently in the shop for heat/ac repair. I hope to hit the road as soon as I figure out how to back the thing up. I am a 62-year-old woman who would like to see some things while I still am able. I am kind of a slow learner but adapt well to changing situations. I am in Rochester, NY where it seems to always be overcast. Looking forward to seeing some sunshine!

Bassetbait
bassetbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2020, 05:19 AM   #1430

Massachusetts

Hi Bassabait, I am fairly close to you in Massachusetts. I purchased a quad camera for my class C Winnebago I love it makes it much easier to back up and drive. And a lot easier for passing on the highway or just seeing things around the RV.

I am also in 60s And wish I could find more people in this area that like to travel in a RV.
Cassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #1431

Hang on to your hat--this is an adventure. There are many clubs out there. Escapees (SKPs)(75,000+?) is my favorite so far. Besides an annual Escapade (in Rock Springs, WY this summer) that offers a Boot Camp, 80 (!) seminars over five days (you can't do them all-Duh) and tons of gatherings/entertainment, they have countless smaller groups head out to somewhere. A sub-group called SOLOs offers numerous opportunities for meet-ups and travel. (A couple of fun weeks in Death Valley each fall where I met a lot incredible fiercely independent women and more.) 30 here, 20 there, 10 someplace else. Loners on Wheels (LoWs) are a nice group of maybe 2500 nationwide. WINs (Wandering Individuals) are more adventurous. Harvest Hosts, Boondockers Welcome, you'll find too many options. None are expensive, try several. Put yourself out there and you will be rewarded with friendships--many life-long. As for towing, practice, practice, practice. Go to a big parking lot, use cones if you've got them, back up straight for long distance, around bends, into parking slots, etc. Learn where your wheels are AT ALL TIMES. You WILL get comfortable. Then go invest in a paper towel company--you'll need it. And ask your new extended family for anything to help guide you. Welcome.
CMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #1432

Cassa, I agree that there don't seem to be a lot of RV peeps in this part of the country who actually do travel. If you ever wander to this part of the world, message me. There is some beautiful scenery in this part of NY, and so close to Canada.

Could you tell me more about your quad-camera? What brand is it? Did you install it yourself?

CMore, I definitely need a boot camp. Wyoming seems a world away to this newbie! I do need to join some organizations. Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will try Escapees, first.
bassetbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:13 PM   #1433

Thumbs up

Hi, I'm Walt, I live here in Macon county Tennessee. I love helping people with their RV . I have a lot of knowledge and tools to work on stuff pertaining to most motor homes and campers. As well as a 8 acre farm to invite you and your family/friends to visit. If you have any questions I can be reached at 1615NUTWALT. My family is disabled which makes it harder for us to travel. But that doesn't stop me from living like an RV'er.
waltlove7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #1434

New solo rv'ers check in here!!

Join the Coach House Owners Club.

There are a lot of CH owners/members who monitor their facebook web page, it is open only to members. That group is having a rally in New Orleans April 20 to 24. Think registration closes March 1. CH is going to send representatives to help owners wit questions/minor problems. Be a good chance to talk with owners who have the same rig/interests. The majority members are located in the East and includes some solos.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:57 AM   #1435

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi, Escapees has a very good Boot Camp that they hold a number of times a year. I've also been to it and it is very very good. The FMCA club has boot camps at all of their monthly get togethers....I've been to both group's boot camps and really enjoyed the Escapees.....Good Luck. I'm also single RV'r, but I miss my traveling companion. I've checked out a number of single clubs and just didn't get excited about any of them....so I just travel around locally now. Good luck to you.
bevnicka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #1436

Hello from Lafayette Tennessee. I am Walt, looking for near by rv'ers
waltlove7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #1437

Solo Rvers Club
Welcome Bassetbait, it sounds like you've jumped in to the DEEP end of the RV pool. Had we spoke before you "dove in", my recommendation would have been to start small and only "graduate" to a bigger rig once you had gained some real world experience. There is a LOT of things you need to learn and, one of the best ways to learn is to attend an RV Boot Camp. RVBC is an educational weekend that the Escapees RV Club started many years ago (other groups have since begun their own training classes some lasting a week). Also available are training DVDs offered by Mark Polk at RVEducation101.com. My local library had some of Mark's DVDs I was able to borrow (I then purchased others). Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. My people fly or drive in to a venue just so they can get this important training (it's WORTH it). When you get your RV back, I'd recommend that you simply "boondock" while your motorhome is in your driveway or backyard (or possibly at a local RV park). Actually live IN your RV doing everything you expect to do once "on the road". Parts have been difficult to get, especially for older RVs. The coronavirus is going to make EVERYTHING that comes from China MUCH more difficult for a long time to come. Try not to get discouraged, you CAN do this! There are several solo female groups you might want to look into. Google / DuckDuckGo can be a good friend. Good luck, again, this IS something you can learn to do. Regards, John
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #1438

Soloed now for 2.5 years. Crossed country five times, 21,000 miles. Only problem I have had is my dog will not hold motor home brake pedal so I can check towed vehicle lights each morning.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Soloed now for 2.5 years. Crossed country five times, 21,000 miles. Only problem I have had is my dog will not hold motor home brake pedal so I can check towed vehicle lights each morning.
I found my Beagle rescue is completely unhelpful with navigation as well!

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #1440

Sounds like you're having fun�� Stay safe.
Cherilanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #1441

Quote:
I had the same problem with my dog then someone suggested turning your emergency flashers on to check brake lights. I don't know
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #1442

Quote:
My Bichon wasn't much help either. I was reduced to using my ice scraper braced between the brake pedal and drivers seat.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv