Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #1499

Lori, deepest condolences on your loss, but I applaud your attitude. I am new to RVing. Last year I purchased a 2007 27xlfd Coach House Platinum. I have only been on one extended trip. I am still learning and discovering. People think I am crazy for traveling solo. I highly recommend Coach House, if you can find one. The only issue I have is the lack of storage, so I am about to order a Stow-Away to put on the trailer hitch. I still haven't made up my mind whether I want a tow vehicle. I wish you luck and hope to see you on the road someday!
Regards,
Reenie (Bassetbait)
I do speak fluent Sarcasm
bassetbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #1500
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank you, Rennie. My in-laws think I'm bonkers for still wanting to RV, by myself no less. But I enjoyed it & have no qualms about continuing once I find my next coach. I may not go far, at first, but there's places Dave & I wanted to see together that I still want to see. I know he'll be with me, albeit not in the way we planned.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #1501

re: New solo rv'ers check in here!!

Lori, Best wishes for the adventures that lies ahead.
My situation is nothing as wrenching as yours and there are no words, but one thing you will discover as a solo RV'er once you set out is that the group of people you'll meet are some of the nicest folk you will ever run across. All like-minded and helpful. You have surly witnessed this while traveling with Ron and it is certain to continue.

Best of luck

Cal
CWC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #1502
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks Cal. I'm sure there will be a lot of folks out there, if noticing a solo woman, will gladly assist if it appears the need. That's what's so nice about the RV-ing community. I won't take advice about backing, though. I don't trust anyone but myself. I may block the camp road for a bit, but G.O.A.L. applies & I will take my time, most especially for the future.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:10 PM   #1503

Solo Rvers Club
There IS a group dedicated to solo women who are interested in the RV lifestyle. Here's a link:

https://www.rvingwomen.org/?
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:43 PM   #1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
There IS a group dedicated to solo women who are interested in the RV lifestyle. Here's a link:

https://www.rvingwomen.org/?
Yep, that group is dedicated to women RVers in general & has a Solo Women RVer's Chapter. They also have a FullTimers chapter. The rest are divvied up by which region of the U.S. they reside in (PNW, SW, MW, NE, etc.). CA's so big it has two chapters including which states share its NE & SE borders...

Hi, I'm Class-C-Lass I'm a (future) solo RVer in CA. Still looking for the right rig. CA's pretty much pushing everyone out who can't make at least high 5 figures so RVing seemed a sensible lifestyle for those who make their living primarily online. Figured it was best to travel to other states I liked than to buy housing there. No one wants me living in their state but I'm sure they'll be happy to take my $ while I visit then move on.
ClassCLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:17 PM   #1505

Solo Rvers Club
In post #1492 I had a brain fart. I posted to get the tow vehicle first. That is NOT correct. The TRAILER should be obtained FIRST! That way, you'll know EXACTLY what tow capacity the vehicle needs (and don't forget to add a generous SAFETY MARGIN). When the tow vehicle is obtained first, you're limited to the trailer you can SAFELY "pull". LOTS of folks who got the tow vehicle first find the trailer they'd REALLY like is beyond their vehicle's capabilities. The "NUMBERS" involved can be an arcane mystery but, it's CRITICAL to understand said numbers (GVWR, GCWR, Axle, Wheel, Tire etc, etc, etc ratings). That's one reason why I strongly recommend attending an RV Boot Camp. In RVBC, attendees have these important numbers clearly explained and demystified. "Pulling" a trailer is only ONE PART of the equation. CONTROLLING that trailer can be FAR more difficult (especially under less than ideal conditions like going downhill, wet roads, curves, high wind, etc). I apologize for my earlier error.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:29 PM   #1506

Solo Rvers Club
"CA's pretty much pushing everyone out who can't make at least high 5 figures"

Wow, I thought a person would need $125,000 to $150,000 to live a "basic middle class life" in CA. As things like fires, floods, landslides and earthquakes destroy LARGE numbers of housing units, it has to raise housing prices that are left to meteoric prices. Add in the cost of "hosting" illegal immigrants and the highest fuel prices in the nation (which cause transportation price increases that get passed along) and just buying basics like food becomes a strain. I have visited CA a few times in years past but, have NO desire to return.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #1507

@NY24: Yep, taking the long view, CA has been in slow freefall since the '80's. I may be a slow amphibian, but I'm finally getting out before the pot water boils. It takes $ to stay & it takes $ to leave, which takes awhile.
ClassCLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:12 PM   #1508

Solo 5th wheel here. Sold a beautiful house and everything that would not fir into the 5th wheel. Just me and my pup Roxy. Head out April 19th for Texas from AZ....then onto FL for a while. After that only destination with any timeline is Sturgis for the run in August.

Beep beep!
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #1509

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion 33 View Post
Solo 5th wheel here. Sold a beautiful house and everything that would not fir into the 5th wheel. Just me and my pup Roxy. Head out April 19th for Texas from AZ....then onto FL for a while. After that only destination with any timeline is Sturgis for the run in August.

Beep beep!

Boy, even with Covid vaccines and "Standard Precautions", there's NO way I want to be at any HEAVILY ATTENDED event like Sturgis. The chance of catching some "bug" is just too great to be acceptable for me. As much as I'd like to return to "normal" RV travel, I'm NOT dying to do so.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #1510

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
Boy, even with Covid vaccines and "Standard Precautions", there's NO way I want to be at any HEAVILY ATTENDED event like Sturgis. The chance of catching some "bug" is just too great to be acceptable for me. As much as I'd like to return to "normal" RV travel, I'm NOT dying to do so.
I am living life and not worrying about death. Plus the odds are so low its ridiculous that any of that is not much more than just a case of the flu. I have had it twice now as my former job was going to peoples residence to "deliver" certain docs to them. Speaking of flu.....that has somehow disappeared....hmmmmmm. Wonder if the covid bucks have anything to do with that????

Last year Sturgis was open and nothing of any substance came from it. Texas is open and rates are dropping since that decision was made. In AZ now and walking in to any businesses without masks and it is liberating to have others as well. We just nod our acknowledgements to each other

If you feel at risk or want to hunker down....to each his own.

All good

Get on with living. Stats and science prove it out. Not concerned in the least
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:41 PM   #1511
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Well I am now also in the solo rv club. My wife passed suddenly from a heart attack related to her Chemo treatments. You never know how life can change in an instant. We are youngish. She was 54 and I am 55. I still work full time but live in our bus. I was going to retire at the end of the year so we could start our adventure. How do you keep the desire to do it alone? I’m having a hard time finding purpose.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Well I am now also in the solo rv club. My wife passed suddenly from a heart attack related to her Chemo treatments. You never know how life can change in an instant. We are youngish. She was 54 and I am 55. I still work full time but live in our bus. I was going to retire at the end of the year so we could start our adventure. How do you keep the desire to do it alone? I’m having a hard time finding purpose.
My sympathies on the loss of your spouse. I too lost mine after 2.5 years of her being quadriplegic from spinal cancer. It takes time for one to get back to living after losing a mate. There is no time limit nor is there a recommended period. You will know when that is. For me it was rather quick due to her prolonged illness and what is referred to as anticipatory grief.

I wanted to go full time even before she passed, she did not. We discussed my going full time and she gave me her blessing. When reality struck after she died I realized I needed a home base near the kids and grandkids. I sold our house and rented an apartment. It was great for awhile as I could just empty the fridge, toss the garbage, and lock the door to take off for however long I wanted. It was strange at first, camping alone and going to places we went together but a time went on I found happiness doing just that.

After a year, I found my new love in Florida, about 3,700 miles from my home in the PNW. I now travel there for 6 months, returning with her to my PNW for the rest of the year. It is nice to have someone to share adventures with again but i wouldn’t trade my solo trips for anything. I learned a lot about me and my desires. Staring alone into a campfire sipping an adult beverage at night encourages that.

I was 57 when I had my first heart attack and came so close to not being here. Losing my wife at the age of 65 also gave me introspection. Having my RV and camping gave me the time I needed to get my head right and a great place to accomplish that. No one knows how much time we will have here on earth. At my age now, 67, I plan to make the most out of the time I have left. I pray the same for you my friend.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv