Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:38 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
No Navigator

So now that I have no navigator, travel days will be more complicated. How do you find fuel stops and such? She always looked on the ipad when we were an hour from being low so we could determine location, easy access, truck lanes .... Can't really train the pup to do that.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 06:52 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I can look at a map and say "I'll get about this far before I need fuel, but I'll only get this far before I want a break - so I might as well get fuel at the same time" - then I plan my stops before I start to drive a long day. Since I tend to drive on the top half of the tank my breaks to get up and stretch are often used as an opportunity to get fuel - even if I don't really NEED it yet.
If you don't want to pre-plan your driving day then plan on pulling over some where an hour or two before you need fuel to work out where you want to stop.
Either way it's on you. You're choices are pretty much limited to before you start driving, or stopping along the way to figure it out or just pulling in somewhere and hoping for the best.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:55 AM   #3

I just did a week long trip by myself. Boring with out the wife.
She had to teach at the University.
I knew what my stops were for fuel before I left.
Also, you can use iExit app to find rest stops and note the Mile marker.
Ain’t the same with out the wife though.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
So now that I have no navigator, travel days will be more complicated. How do you find fuel stops and such? She always looked on the ipad when we were an hour from being low so we could determine location, easy access, truck lanes .... Can't really train the pup to do that.
I have a Pilot/flying J card and a TSD card and have both apps on my phone.
At a rest stop, I check my apps and find the exits for fuel. It is very easy to
find fuel, not so easy missing your navigator. Hope that you will find
a companion to ride along. I think I may have found one who may want to
travel along with me.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:28 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
When I stop at a rest area I look up truck stops on my route on Allstays app. I rarely let my fuel go down below 1/2. My DH passed away in November and yes, it is harder traveling "solo". But, I'd rather be doing this - living full time in my motorhome than being alone in a house somewhere.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #6

I prefer not having someone with me since my interests are usually pretty far from the ladies. But just use your phone. Just tell it where you want to go and Bluetooth it to your speakers in the cab. Very easy.
Myjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
But, I'd rather be doing this - living full time in my motorhome than being alone in a house somewhere.
Agree 100%. Maybe someday I will find a travelling companion but that isn't in the cards right now.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #8

I have a tablet mounted on the dash in my view running Waze with the day's route in it. The Waze lady is very good at keeping me on track and apprised of upcoming concerns.

Fuel stops are usually a non-issue for me because I rarely get down much below half a tank before making it to my evening stop for the day. So, I fill up before pulling in, or right after leaving the next day.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll put in my 2cents. I've been the "fuel stop finder" since 2000. When Dave & I planned a trip, he did the routing & I found the fuel/rest/food stops along the way. Between apps, the Garmin & my Next Exit book, I had them all planned out before we started.

It might be tougher if you're "winging it" (i.e. just heading out in a direction to see where it leads) but I think you'd still have a general idea of how far you'd like to go in a day & can locate fuel stops before heading out in the morning.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:29 PM   #10

The wife is directionally challenged so I have travelled without a navigator since 1981. It's really not that hard to find a gas station or campground. They do tend to advertise along the road and the interstate system has these neat blue signs at most exits with whatever services are available. Or you could look for tomorrows stops today and right them down on a scratch pad. That is what I do.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #11

Once my route is in google maps, I just tap the microphone and say "truck stop" and it shows the list. Then I click the name of the one i want to stop at
TravelSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
That sounds too easy lol.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What I do: I use the trip odometer and limit my travel to 750 miles, which put me at 1/4 tank. If I will need fuel that day. I look on the gas buddy app for diesel stations. about where I want to fill up. I find the stations listed and use google map satellite view of the stations. I figure out if I want to fuel there and how I will enter and exit the station.

Enter station info into the gps.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #14

I was surprised that no one mentioned Trip Wizard, which I thought would be the number 1 answer. I used it for the first time to plan an 8 day trip. I input my specs regarding MPG, size of fuel tank, and how low I would want to get before I would want fuel, and it automatically placed fuel stops along my route and showed me nearby truck stops.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote