Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #1

Selling the house...and making the move to rv

I'm 37 and a female. Kids are grown up and doing their own thing. I have this huge house that I just don't need anymore. I work remote and have always wanted to travel. I have recently bought a new TT, and have a deed too a local campground to park it at. I plan to stay there for a while once the house is sold, but dont know what I'm going to do from there. I don't have a vehicle to tow it myself at the moment, and am dependent on others to do that for me ( thank god for brothers!) but I'm really thinking hard about buying one to tow it myself and hit the road. Am I crazy?!
Burtisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Nope! Not crazy at all. I think it's a good thing to be looking for adventure. Once you've done it for a while you'll have some great memories.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Look into and solve the domain, and health insurance issues other then that why not?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #4

Medical Insurance......in state and out of state........both can be real issue for those under 65 so check/verify costs and actual coverage

Internet Access........work remote so you will need to provide your own internet connection.

Full Time RV living is not necessarily cheaper than Stick/Brick House. Different Yes but not necessarily less expensive.

We FTd for 7 yrs. But we traveled weekly here there every where. Great lifestyle/great adventure.

Good luck!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #5

Health isn't a problem as I'm already covered and my daughter uses it in a different state with no problem.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #6

Most of my company is remote and all over the country so my company prepared for that with their insurance.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtisha View Post
Most of my company is remote and all over the country so my company prepared for that with their insurance.
Insurance issue out of the way, use daughters address as your domicile, Get a Truck for the TT, internet, set your compass and you are on your way.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps there's some other options to consider without buying a tow vehicle right now:
- Live in the TT for awhile in the campground; get a better sense of your preference for a TT or 5th wheel
- That decision could lead you to buying a truck
- Or, maybe you'd like to buy a truck anyway (which would tow either TT or 5ver)
- And, just in case you've been wondering, this approach can give you time to think about a transition to a motorhome

Linda and I have enjoyed TTs, 5th wheel and motorhome. Choose the one that suits you and your needs, you can't go wrong. Best wishes and safe travels ...
Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #9

Buy a bigger truck than you need. At least one ton....maybe even dually.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
You may want to look at other states as your domicile when you begin your travels. There are tax and registration considerations to weigh.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
Buy a bigger truck than you need. At least one ton....maybe even dually.
Don't tell her that. We don't even know how big the TT is she has now. If it is only 24' she doesn't need a 1 ton dually. Fuel mileage aside from driving around in a super sized truck she will get shook to death unless she is loaded up to near full capacity. LT E Load range tires with 60# pressure in the front and 80# in the rear. Trying to park the thing is another issue if she wants a truck for a daily driver too.
Buying a truck should be like buying shoes. Make sure (it) they fit before throwing down the cash.
Lynn
Old 03-30-2016, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Don't tell her that. We don't even know how big the TT is she has now. If it is only 24' she doesn't need a 1 ton dually. Fuel mileage aside from driving around in a super sized truck she will get shook to death unless she is loaded up to near full capacity. LT E Load range tires with 60# pressure in the front and 80# in the rear. Trying to park the thing is another issue if she wants a truck for a daily driver too.
Buying a truck should be like buying shoes. Make sure (it) they fit before throwing down the cash.
Lynn
From my own experience, I should have bought a 1 ton dually first thing. The fenders are no wider than the mirrors. This truck gets better mileage than any truck I ever owned....other than my 97 ford ranger.

I see girls driving duallys all the time. Yes....they are cowgirls with horse trailers, but they get around just fine.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtisha View Post
Am I crazy?!
Howdy Burtisha, you are definitely not crazy. I'm a full-timer and have a full time job (software engineer), it is very doable and very enjoyable. Of course, it isn't for everyone but I sure do like it.

I spend all my time in the west (most of it boondocking) and Internet access is really not a problem with Verizon and a cellular signal amplifier (Wilson Amplifier - JdFinley.com). If really out in the wilderness, an external antenna helps (Cellular Data Antenna - JdFinley.com). If you plan to stick to rv parks/campgrounds then it is unlikely that you'll have a problem anywhere (and maybe happen onto a few spots that even offer usable wifi).
Old 03-31-2016, 05:57 AM   #14

The TT I have is 26' , and I'm not one of those girls that would be driving a duelly. But def a bigger vehiclethen what I have now for sure.