RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Solo introvert questions

I would like to retire in 2 years and possibly go on the road full-time RV solo exploration across the US.

One of the reasons that I would like to hit the road is I'm afraid if I don't, I will sit around the house during retirement miserable.
My only Hobby really is fishing especially River fishing. But I don't want to do that all the time. When I was younger I used to have tons of friends, but after moving to Oregon in my later years I found that to be very difficult, and gave up trying to make friends so now I'm a Loner.
I am hoping, that a solo rv lifestyle might force me to become more social, but at the least give me something to do. (can't fish every day).

I imagine life as a solo RV'er for me would be to travel from campsite to campsite meeting folks and hitting the rivers. Nights would be spent researching where to go next but also finding groups of travelers and coming along for the ride.
I have never stayed in a rv or visited a campsite. So it will all be a new adventure.

My goal is to sell my house and not buy another nor rent until my journey has ended. At that point maybe sell my rv and buy a home somewhere.

Any advice welcome. Anything has got to be better than staying home alone every day until I'm to old to do anything.

Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
I am hoping, that a solo rv lifestyle might force me to become more social, but at the least give me something to do. (can't fish every day).

Any advice welcome. Anything has got to be better than staying home alone every day until I'm to old to do anything.
Believe me. if you want to keep busy, just buy an older RV!

You will ALWAYS have something to fix, repair, modify, or maintain!

I just hope you find enough time to get out there and do some fishing.

Like my signature says "Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!"

Happy Glamping.

Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #3

Unfortunately, RV ownership and "camping" does not automatically change who you are. You are, who you are. If you are introverted now, you will still be introverted then. If you are outgoing now, you'll be outgoing then. RV ownership is not a magic pill that will change who you are, .... just-like-that! But, it will change your perspective of the world around you, and over time, that could change who you are.

If you are serious about the RV lifestyle, then I strongly suggest you pick up a small 2 man pup-tent, a Coleman camp stove, a sleeping bag, a metal pot, a package of hot dogs and a can of baked beans, and make reservations and then take off for a state park campground for a week-end and see what happens. If the first week-end is successful, then do it again in a couple weeks. And then again and again and again.

There are no words that can be expressed that will help you determine if this life-style is right for you. It's something you absolutely have to experience yourself. So, before investing thousands of dollars into an RV and selling your home for something you may absolutely hate after only 1 week out, give this a try first.

If you don't like the idea of tent camping, rent an RV, check out CruiseAmerica or any other company in your area that provides rentals and try it out first. This will provide you the opportunity to break out of your shell as you'll need to work through the process of renting, planning a campsite, and preparing for the week-end trip. You'll figure out REAL fast if this type of lifestyle is right for you or not.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #4

I should have mentioned in my original post that the selling of my house is happening no matter what I do.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #5

I would suggest that if you can incorporate an interest or hobby into the RVing it might have a better chance of keeping your interest and expanding the positive experiences.
How about joining a trout unlimited chapter and using the RV to explore some prime fishing spots? Or Bass chapter if that's your bag. Try some surf fishing along the coasts.
FMCA has local chapters that hold some events that might get you more comfortable interacting with others. Attend some seminars / courses at RV shows & rallies.
Many clubs & organizations have local ambassadors that will provide local knowledge to folks traveling through.
I suggest retirees pick 3 things they think they would like to learn/try or do more of if they have an interest. Give it 6 - 12 mos and then decide if you like it enough to continue or want to drop one or more and add in some new pursuits. A mix or current & new interests / desires add some diversity.
I know hikers that have set goals to hike the highest peak in 50 states, run a marathon on each continent, visit every state capital. One trip we visited a number of caves / caverns - some small others huge (Mammoth) across many states... etc, etc let your imagination go wild and write down anything that comes to mind...
plenty of time to sort, prioritize and select later. Ask others what's on their bucket list. RVs can be an enabler, mode ofcstransport that will let you enjoy the voyage and the destination.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #6

Very good advice thank you
Old 03-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #7

My focus in part timing has been good areas to play on my motorcycle. Hang a few(or more) days in one spot and to day trips ranging from 1-300 miles. On the days trips I also focus a bit on finding smoked beef brisket, water falls, moderate hiking, and brew pubs. Anything to keep me out of Flowriduh in the summer.

I tend to concentrate on one region per year. This year looks like AK as long as there are no isolation issues crossing the borders.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
My focus in part timing has been good areas to play on my motorcycle. Hang a few(or more) days in one spot and to day trips ranging from 1-300 miles. On the days trips I also focus a bit on finding smoked beef brisket, water falls, moderate hiking, and brew pubs. Anything to keep me out of Flowriduh in the summer.

I tend to concentrate on one region per year. This year looks like AK as long as there are no isolation issues crossing the borders.
How do you trailer your motorcycle? I still haven't decided if I want to get a moderately large motorhome into a car or a B plus motorhome and possibly an electric bike
Old 03-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
One of the reasons that I would like to hit the road is I'm afraid if I don't, I will sit around the house during retirement miserable.
Going full time isn't going to change who you are. If with a house you'd spend retirement sitting around the house miserable, then with an RV you'll spend retirement sitting around your RV miserable. You are who you are and nothing is going to change that.

Quote:
My only Hobby really is fishing especially River fishing. But I don't want to do that all the time. When I was younger I used to have tons of friends, but after moving to Oregon in my later years I found that to be very difficult, and gave up trying to make friends so now I'm a Loner.
But are you actually an introvert, or just a loner who's tired of being a loner? I'm about as introverted as anyone can be, and have never had tons of friends. I can count the number of good friends I've had in my life on one hand. Even now, there's only about a handful of people on this planet I would consider a friend, and they are scattered across the US.

To me, you sound more like an extroverted loner than an introvert. Maybe I'm completely wrong about that though. You do know yourself better than I know you.

Quote:
Solo RVing will absolutely not force you to become more social. It might make you a bit more cordial since you'll be around other people more often, but there's a difference between cordial and social. Waving to a new neighbor while on your way to the nearest river for a relaxing day of catching your own diner isn't social; it's cordial. You will have to actually be a social person to be social while solo RVing.

Quote:
I imagine life as a solo RV'er for me would be to travel from campsite to campsite meeting folks and hitting the rivers. Nights would be spent researching where to go next but also finding groups of travelers and coming along for the ride.
The introvert in me is dumbfounded by this. That sounds like torture! That part of me can't understand why you'd ruin a perfectly good campsite on a river with "meeting folks" and "finding groups of travelers" to go with you "for the ride".
The empathetic part of me understands that those weird extroverts actually seek out activities with other people, and can understand why you might want to do so.

Are you sure you're an introvert? I don't want to try to tell you who you are, but you are sounding less and less like one the more I read your post. Maybe I'm not understanding something.

Quote:
I have never stayed in a rv or visited a campsite. So it will all be a new adventure.
So you're looking to shake things up in your life a bit? I can completely understand that. I've felt that urge before.

Quote:
My goal is to sell my house and not buy another nor rent until my journey has ended. At that point maybe sell my rv and buy a home somewhere.
If that's really your end goal, then the only way to reach that goal is to just do it. I don't think you'll have a long journey ahead to reach your goal. I don't think solo RVing is going to scratch the itch you have.

Are you sure your goal isn't to meet new people and expand your social network a bit so that you don't spend retirement alone? Again, I don't want to try and tell you who you are, but it sounds like you're using RVing as a means to an end, and not as the end itself. Getting into solo RVing for the wrong reasons is going to make you more miserable than you can imagine. Get into it because that's what you want to do, not because you've never done anything like it before and want to shake up your life.

Quote:
Any advice is welcome? Instead of getting an RV, get a motorcycle. Lease an apartment or duplex for a year and get a nice Road Glide or Goldwing. Take your new ride down to the local biker bar, sit down at the bar and ask the person next to you what bike he/she rides. That's an instant friend for you right there. Bikers might look all rough and tough decked out in a full set of leathers and a year long beard, but we are the friendliest group of people on this planet. Ask any biker what he rides, and you've got a 15 minute conversation on your hands at least. That's a question that always has a specific answer and bikers like talking about their bikes. I bet there are other bikers in your area that also like fishing.

Worst case, you make some new friends and start solo RVing a year later than expected. Best case, you find a new motorcycling hobby, make some new friends, realize that's really all you were after in the first place, and save yourself tens of thousands of dollars and a few weeks of headaches dealing with an RV you don't actually want.

If you still have the solo RV bug 6 months down the road, rent one for a week and go check out Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands. See how you like it. Maybe I'm completely off base and that's really what you want.
Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #10

Take it from someone who's been accused multiple times that I'd be perfectly happy living as a hermit off in the woods by myself, which is umm, true.

Go for it! Who knows what it will do to you socially, but that doesn't matter, it'll be an adventure. You may love it, you may hate it or something in between, but you won't know until you try.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #11

Sure sounds better than staying at home by myself until I die of old age
Old 03-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #12

Why do so many people need to put a label on it? Introvert, partial introvert, mostly introvert, sometimes extrovert!
It's not important. Go out and do what you do. Do what you enjoy.
Mostly, jeez, get a small cheap rv now and see if you will actually like it. It is NOT for everyone especially if you have never done it before!
Watch some youtube videos of the reality of FT rv living. For many this is a real eye opener. It is NOT all rainbows and unicorns!
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #13

I have been divorced 30 years, lived alone now for 14 years, was self employed working for myself for 20 years. I was very active when I was younger. Played on a softball team, was in a scuba diving club, was in a motorcycle club and had many friends from these activities. Then I got older, retired, and health wise couldn’t play ball or dive anymore. Was sitting at home alone a lot. I sold all my furniture, rented out the house and now live full time in my RV. I volunteer at National Parks, visitor center or camp host. This way I meet a lot of people, visitors and co-workers. I stay in touch with many of them. I suggest you rent an RV for a month before you buy one. Go on the road and see how you like it. Them you can buy one and hit the road full time. Go on volunteer.gov and find things to do. I always find a place to fish in or near a National Park. Heck out State Parks too. As far as the motorcycle, if you get a bumper pull trailer you could put the bike in the back of the truck, or get a toy hauler. I had a 5th wheel toy hauler for the first 5 years. Now I have a Class A with a motorcycle lift on the back. I have been on the road now for 8 years.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
How do you trailer your motorcycle? I still haven't decided if I want to get a moderately large motorhome into a car or a B plus motorhome and possibly an electric bike
Sorry about the delay, we were out traveling.

I pull my bike in a 6x10 enclosed trailer. This trailer also allows for a few spare parts, extra tires(I ride a lot), helmet and all of the safety gear(road rash hurts) plus lawn chairs, etc...

The storage in the trailer is a bit more desirable for me as we just have a class B.

SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo