Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #183

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Traveldogs- Thank you.

I fueled at Wally World yesterday and received 10 cents a gallon off for using my "giftcard". The pump said I needed to buy 3 coke products but I didn't and the discount was applied anyway.

For those who have never used them, the gift card is a reloadable debit?? card only good at Walmart and their gas stations. "Murphy" is the station I remember. You just pick up the card at the register and put whatever amount you want on it. There is no fee. If the Walmart I'm near has a gas station, I often load whatever $$ and use it right away. The normal gas discount is a couple of pennies but occasionally Walmart has a promotion like this.

I don't know how long it runs but most stations' normal prices are at the low end of the spectrum if not the lowest in any particular area. Some stations are really tight but I've always gotten my 28' C in and out. And the stores have really good chickens if you don't get there too late.

mangy dog

ps: I never drive any distance over a mile or so for gas. With my mileage it is just not worth it. I do check prices at different interstate exits in the morning to plan gas stops though.
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #184

Hi all, I am Phoenix, 62, soloing through life and trying to figure out where to go from here. I'm tired of the house (but not completely) I'm struggling with whether I really want to RV solo? Mine is a small pension, but I want comfortable simplicity.

I watch a female soloist on Youtube, 2012 Escapee (add RV female solo). Anyway, I heard her say something very profound. It applies to me and may apply to a few ladies here. She said, "I don't know if I am running to something or away from something." That hit me right between the eyes.

I'd better be careful to answer that question before I jump in the deep end without a life jacket (S&B).

But I am glad you ladies and gents are out there. I'm going to start reading all your posts.

P
Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #185

Solo Rvers Club
Hey Phoenixx,
Welcome to the Solos Forum. Best of luck in making your decision. Just a thought about the S&B. My neighbors in my old neighborhood RVd for years while their kids were growing up and they got to retirement age. Once there they sold the S&B and FTd it wintering in TX and summering in MN. They found a park model in TX with a couple of lots which they purchased and continued to visit MN with their DP. After some time they sold the RV and now come to MN in their mini van to visit their GC and reside in TX.

I'm not sure if I'm running away or towards something, just ready to not have all the expense and work that comes with the S&B. I understand FTing it comes with pitfalls and expenses too, just believe they can't compare to what this S&B costs me.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #186

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Phoenixx. Don't know if it really matters if your running to or from as long as you are having fun doing it. If you live in Phoenix, I don't blame you for wanting to run away right now. I live near Vegas and am in CO enjoying the weather and mountains.
I don't think I'd sell my stick house quite yet. Don't know your finances but maybe a used class C or B would do the job. Might try renting the S&B and storing your furniture. If there would be income, might cover some of the payment on an RV. Check out the solorvrs forum on Yahoo. Good luck.
Rich
Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #187

Phoenixx

What really matters is if they catch you ! just keep on runnin !
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #188

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #189

Diesel Tech & Rvarner

Hi Ken, Rich and Everyone,

Thank you guys for thoughtful responses. Actually, after that news report about the campground in Virginia, I got cold feet, fast.

Sure, it could happen anywhere, but, honestly, I was spooked.
Phoenixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #190

Bukiman

Funny! ;~)
Old 07-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #191

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post

Thank you guys for thoughtful responses. Actually, after that news report about the campground in Virginia, I got cold feet, fast.

Just remember it could happen in your S&B too. I understand your concern. A good NOAH radio will give you warnings, I have the app on my iPhone cause I can't depend on DirecTV to stay on in a storm. With the correct set up it will give you warnings where ever you are. Not that a warning will do a lot of good if you can't find shelter, but you can take the best action to improve your safety at that point.

Life is about trade offs in most cases. Like the RVMs here you have to remember that "the journey is the destination". Vigilance can be the most comforting. JMHO

Best of luck in your decision.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #192

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post

If that gives you cold feet, you probably don't belong on the road. Hazards are always a part of life and you plan the best you can for them but the enjoyment I get far outweighs "what could happen".
Rich
Old 07-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #193

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had this wifi hotspot from Straight Talk for a while and I've noticed that during morning rush hour and from evening rush hout untill about 9 PM it is REALLY slow near big cities- it is pretty much unusable.

When I first got the Virgin Mobile broadband thingy, I had the same problem. After a while the VM dongle got much better. The "unlimited" bandwidth hogs were "throttled" down to dialup speeds after 5 gigabytes. They moved on allowing normal users to get good service. Maybe Straight Talk will figure this out or... maybe I'll have toget my laptop screen replaced and reactivate virgin Mobile.

Anyway, just a heads up if someone is considering the Straight Talk offering.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #194

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Have you ever looked into Millenicom?

Millenicom
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #195

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post
Have you ever looked into Millenicom?

Millenicom
Checked it out but the price is quite a bit higher than my Verizon plan. Not interested at that price. Still looking for a good deal.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #196

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
Checked it out but the price is quite a bit higher than my Verizon plan. Not interested at that price. Still looking for a good deal.
I agree Barbara. I am still on the unlimited plan for data with V. However I don't have the ability to set up a hot spot. If I want to do that it would cost me 30 a month and the possibility of having to go to the 2G plan. Have to figure that out before I go FT I guess.