Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #113

Introduction

Hello,

Now that the upgrades and repairs on my home are just about complete, it's time for me to find a good way to get away. A motorhome seems like the most attractive vacation, because it lasts for months, it's more than 5 to 1 less expensive than motels and flights and I'll see much more of this beautiful country on the road than i would from altitude. If the finances support it, I'll be on the road next June.

My name is Creed and I'm a 62 y/o, 6'2", 207 pound, hazel eyed, brown haired, slow humored, somewhat well traveled military retiree living in Michigan. I'm not crazy about this state, but my most beautiful and intelligent daughter lives here, and that's that.

After a good bit of research, I'v decided to look for a 1998-2002 Newmar with the 5.9L 24V Cummin's, Freightliner, Allison combination, in the 37 to 40 foot range. I won't be lugging a lot of luggage weight around, so the Newmar should support me well in the Rocky's and over the long hauls.

I hope to meet some good people in the next ten years or so and I look forward to the adventure.

Thanks
275hooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #114

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Creed! Welcome to the solo's group. You will indeed find a lot of good people in the RV community and IRV2 is a very useful resource. The folks here will help you find answers to any challenges you may have.

I have been fulltime for over 2 years and LOVE the lifestyle. Good luck finding that perfect coach. Maybe we'll run into each other along the way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #115

Thanks okmunky

Thanks,

I see that you Summer in the Northwest. About twenty of my years were in that area and i enjoyed the entire time in Olympia, Lacey (second home), Seattle (boat home), Tacoma (first home) and Ft. Lewis (quarters). Seven of those Seattle/Queen Ann years were on a 36' Christ Craft moored in Lake Washington on the Ship Canal. What was i thinking!

Now i have a home again, here in Michigan, and i'm going to spend half a year living in another small, mobile space. Is this a mental issue or adventurism gone astray? Whatever! The Chris was fun and the motorhome, a good bit more mobile, will be even more funner

Thanks again for the welcome. Stay cool down there!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #116

Welcome

Hi Creed! Welcome! I too imagined the adventures waiting out there for me "on the road"! It took a long time and lots of planning but I finally did it....bought an '02 Damon Intruder from an amazing dealer and hit the the road back in April. It was a wonderful journey and I will never regret the decision to do it so good luck to you. Get out there and see the country, meet everyone you can, enjoy life!
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #117

Welcome to the group. Reading your post it appears that you are going pretty large for one person. Also does the unit you are considering have a tag axel? The power to weight ratio is going to be marginal. just sayin
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #118

Why the 38' Newmar seems right for me

Hello,

RVBaby, thank you for the support but do i understand that you and Blackberry no longer solo, or am i misreading that?

Izzyblueye,

The Newmar models that I am considering are on the longer side of the length options, but there are a couple of personal reasons for that. One concerns the wheelbase-to-body length ratio and the 38' Newmar has a good ratio. Another is the engine. With the 300 hp Cummin's mated to the Allison transmission on a vehicle rated at about 29,000 pounds, with a GCWR rating near 39,000, and understanding that i will not have a toad or be carrying anything near the GCWR, the weight-to-hp-ration should be fine, even in the Rocky's.

A tag axle would be cool, but there don't seem to be many out there and i don't really want to hit the 40' length if i don't have to. No, 38' is a good length so i'll be looking for one of those at a great price.

On a destination note, has anyone solo'ed to the Nashville area for any of the shows? Most of my plans so far involve the Michigan-to-Rocky's route, but i guess it would be good to find some closer destinations, for those short trips. I'm not too excited about Florida, or the cajun states, but I do like TN, KY, GA and the coast of NC.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #119

Still solo

Creed....Blackberry and I are still solo although we are "resting" at home before embarking on another journey. Hate to travel the same roads twice so I must work up some enthusiasm for a new unexplored destination! Might consider doing some winter months where the sun shines and the warm winds blow!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #120

New destinations

Well, RVBaby, have you and Blackberry been through Austin TX yet? If not, it might be worth putting on your list. It can get warm down there in the winter.

The last time i was in Texas, around 1971 in Tyler, i had a great time, and Austin is suppose to have a great music scene. There seem to be a lot of camping in that area. Might be a fun trip for the two of ya.

Of course you'll have to dust off the boots, hat and buckle, shrink those levi's a bit more, and practice the two-step and shuffle for a few days, but i think it might just be worth it.

It dawned on me the other day, that if i could find my first motorhome down there, and figure out how to make the purchase without regrets, i could start my first vacation from there. How smart would that be!

Later
Old 08-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #121

Creed....have not been to Austin but my grandson will be attending college there (through the CG) so I expect to be visiting there sooner or later! FYI....I know of a mega rv dealer on Alvarado, TX which is north of Austin, south of Ft. Worth. I was thinking of southern Texas as a possible place to spend a few winter months so who knows where I may wind up! Right now I am still enjoying being home!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #122

New to this site. Spend most of my time on the HDT and Toyhauler areas. In the process of replacing my current Toyhauler with a custom built SpaceCraft. It will be a bachelor rig. Almost more garage than living area. Kitchen will be in the front garage in the back and a small sleeping area and bath in the middle. Have been full time for almost 5 years. Winter in South Florida and Summer in the Midwest. One day I hope to branch out a bit but have good jobs in both areas and at least for now they always want me to come back. Youngest daughter will be a Junior in HS this year so at least two more winters in Florida. Had my Father and a Brother die last year from Lung Cancer in Iowa, helped my Mother through those times and she is getting settled in to a new way of life. Doubt that I will ever stop traveling unless I can no longer work.

Rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #123

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Rod!

Welcome to Solos. A garage larger than living area? I guess you subscribe to my brother's theory of life -- "He who dies with the most toys wins."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #124

Thanks for the welcome. I just like to have the toys that I have with me all the time. Really don't have as many as some.

Rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #125

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Didn't know this site was here until someone told me about it. I usually hang around the class A, freightliner and caterpillar forums but not lately. I have been busy selling out assets of a trust that was subsequently revoked and haven't had much time to travel so far this year but that's about to change. I have been RV'n for approx. 20 years in one form or another and, it is almost my favorite thing to do. I am not a fulltimer and probably couldn't be since I like to "tinker" a lot. Live in Pahrump, NV and will definitely be headed out of here next summer. Since the cabin in CO is gone, I will be lurking in the Rocky Mtn. area. Any other sites like this in the RV forums?
Richard
Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #126

Know what you mean

Hello rvarner,

I know what you mean. There are a lot of different compartments to this site aren't there. I started out here i think, then found the Newmar area when i decided that that was the manufacturer i wanted, then the Cummin's area, and the Spartan area and others. Kind of fun isn't it!

I'm learning quite a bit about the motorhome specifically and the lifestyle in general. Still seems like the way to go as far as i can tell. The closer i get to actually getting the Newmar, and then getting under way, the more i'll probably focus on the lifestyle threads. It's been pretty much technical research so far.

Drive safe!