Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #211

MANGY DOG--I totally agree with your assessment. After about 40 years of RV'g I just see it getting worse. There was a time when folks of the RV world was so careful and considerate. They loved nature and its natural beauty, now they just use it. IMHO only, it is worth what it cost you.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
Some say that campers are so "nice" in comparison to the general public. Sorry, after about 4 years fulltime it is not true. But I will say almost all solos I've met have had better manners than the couples and "families".
Not actually "solo", but I enjoy reading and researching the entire iRV2 spectrum. One of our friends is a part-time solo traveler in her 38' Holiday Rambler and we exchange ideas.

Not nice to hear that some campers are not so "nice", but my guess would be that full-timers would be better than others (since we're not full-timing...yet). My mom always taught me to put things back where you found them and respect others. Don't know why we don't have more of that today. I would be mortified if I made a mess at a dumping station!

Once we do go full-timing an out on the road, we wouldn't hesitate to meet solo travelers, whether male or female, and sit around the campfire to shoot the bull. I figure that we're ALL on the road together, so let's everybody have a good time on our travels.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
I'm at a fleamarket right now and last night night a guy was listening to XM radio. Great! I'd listened to the 60's and 70's programs before but he was playing "classic vinyl". He had a new truck with upgraded sound system. Nice! I think I might have to splurge on one of those doodads. I'd need to upgrade the in dash stereo and maybe one with a remote control for evening listening.
The hot buttons on my SiriusXM radio are 60's, 70's, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind, and Soul Town. Have it in the Grand Cherokee (future toad) and it'll be a must for our new motorhome next year. I hate commercials on FM radio, so as long as I can afford it, I'll just have to pay for it.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #214

Solo Rvers Club
Paid radio

The idea of paying to listen to radio, especially now that satellite radio often has commercials, pisses me off. I'm fortunate in that I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data on my iPhone. I can choose what I want to listen to via the free Pandora App (there are other radio Apps too) without having to worry about going over my data plan (of course, I need to be able to connect to an ATT cell tower). On my last trip, I started listening to audiobooks and, I find I enjoy them. There is a free App / program called "Overdrive". Once you've signed up and installed the free software, you can download free ebooks and audiobooks through your local library, all you need is an internet connection. Of course there are paid options available for ebooks / audiobooks for anyone who wishes to have expanded selections paid options offer.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #215

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
The idea of paying to listen to radio, especially now that satellite radio often has commercials, pisses me off. I'm fortunate in that I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data on my iPhone. I can choose what I want to listen to via the free Pandora App (there are other radio Apps too) without having to worry about going over my data plan (of course, I need to be able to connect to an ATT cell tower). On my last trip, I started listening to audiobooks and, I find I enjoy them. There is a free App / program called "Overdrive". Once you've signed up and installed the free software, you can download free ebooks and audiobooks through your local library, all you need is an internet connection. Of course there are paid options available for ebooks / audiobooks for anyone who wishes to have expanded selections paid options offer.
A couple years ago, XM sent me a $25 special deal, satellite radio for 6 months on a trial then regular price unless I cancel. Twice I have called to cancel and have talked them into another 6 months for $25 since I only listen to a couple stations. Thats about $4 a month and damn well worth it to me while I travel. I too love the audiobooks but my small town library isn't listed on "overdrive". I know they have the audio books and have checked em out and recorded in the past. I would never pay full price for satellite radio. Audio books really make the trip seem shorter.
Rich
Old 03-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #216

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
ryegal

Hi I am Donna I live in my classic 1975 classC . I fulltime with my fur child Chewy. We love it.my song of life is see theUSA in your Chevrolet.
Ryegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #217

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Donna, welcome to the forum. I see your not new to irv2. Do you belong to any singles groups?
Rich
Old 03-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
Hi I am Donna I live in my classic 1975 classC . I fulltime with my fur child Chewy. We love it.my song of life is see theUSA in your Chevrolet.

Chewy..... that's a great name for a fur child. 75, that's about when that song was in the commercials during Bonanza.
Rick_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #219

Happy Easter everybody.
I just started reading this thread , just got to 1/1/13 !
Everyone is introducing themselves so I thought I'd pop in.
No need to reply just yet , it looks like it will take me a LONG time to get to the last post !!!I'll post again when I get there.

My name is Rick but you all can just call me popeye ,oh my goshk
everybody else does ! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

I'm 62 just signed up for SS retirement.
I've been living on wheels fulltime since 1981 , workamping since 2003.
SKP since 2001.

I was a touring concert sound system engineer for over 20 years traveling with my dalmatian Penny Lane (for 16 years ) and whatever band I was hooked up with at any time. All kinds of music , rock ,country ,metal ,blues , folk , symphony , musicals and festivals.
(Bet you thought I was gonna say Both kinds COUNTRY and WESTERN !
I've traveled across the country many times both in the music biz and workamping or just so see what I missed while traveling with a tour itinerary .

I grew up in Maine and am there now keeping an eye on my 91 yr old mom. WOW , that sure was a brutal winter living in my old classC !
Have had several rv's of different types , I usually get something vintage and restore it.

My fave place to be in winter was Death Valley CA. .......It's not nearly as bad as the stereotype would have you believe. Once you see some of our county's great features you'll see that they usuallt are nothing like you'd expect (The Grand Canyon really dropped my jaw ! Nothing I had ever seen prepared me for that first look over the edge!) I'm a big fan of the SW deserts and canyons but need to be on a beach once in a while too !

My fave workamping job was as a Pirate ship Captain in a theme park ,,,
can you say Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh? I sure did that summer!!

I plan on going back to Acadia NP this spring ,this time to get my Nat Park Senior Pass ! If you don't have one yet ,get one ,you'll never regret it ! $10 ,good for life

Hope you all had a great holiday too and I'll catch ya latah , OH AYUH
rvpopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #220

Well that went quicker than I thought it would , only a few hours !
OK , OK , I did eat a can of spinachk first!

I'll be checking in from time to time. It seems like quite a big group here .
I've met some of my best friends while camping or workamping .
Probably find a few here too
If any of you just starting out need help , don't be afraid to ask.
I haven't lived in a stix n brix since I was in my 20s.
I'm on the south coast of Maine , probably till at least October .

popeye
Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #221

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
Well that went quicker than I thought it would , only a few hours !
OK , OK , I did eat a can of spinachk first!

I'll be checking in from time to time. It seems like quite a big group here .
I've met some of my best friends while camping or workamping .
Probably find a few here too
If any of you just starting out need help , don't be afraid to ask.
I haven't lived in a stix n brix since I was in my 20s.
I'm on the south coast of Maine , probably till at least October .

popeye
Hi Popeye,

You're a funny guy!

Welcome to the group!

So, you like fixing up old rigs, huh?

I'm thinking of remodeling mine. I want to take out the JK couch, and the useless chair, and replace those with a free-standing reclining chair, and a high counter on top of maybe a highboy dresser. Narrow enough so I can sit at the counter with a high office chair.

I'm looking into solar as well.

Do you have solar?
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #222

THX Cindy
Those sound like a couple of easy mods. If Phoenix wasn't quite so far from Maine I'd swing by and take a look.

I've been using solar since 2001 and have a small 75 watt Siemens panel on my current rig. If you need any recc's post away.

popeye
Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 AM   #223

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
THX Cindy
Those sound like a couple of easy mods. If Phoenix wasn't quite so far from Maine I'd swing by and take a look.

I've been using solar since 2001 and have a small 75 watt Siemens panel on my current rig. If you need any recc's post away.

popeye
I want to do all solar. There's a few solar places around here, but I know it's going to cost me.

I want to replace my valances and RV shades with household blackout roller shades. Getting info on those, now.

I got Reflectix in all the windows now. It's hell trying to use a RV in the AZ summers!
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #224

Cindy
The couch and chair are probably bolted of screwed to the floor. If you can't find 'em a hacksaw blade should get them free , then , hopefully they'll fit out the door!!! And the new stuff will have to fit in too .

Not a lot of real estate on a 25' class C roof so that will limit how much area you can cover with panels , Battery space will be limited too. I just downsized from a 29'classA to a 23' classC ,you have a little more room and cargo capacity but not much !! The other thing with a classC is most are built with really thin walls and roof so insulation is minimal.

Maybe a couple of 6v Golf Cart Batteries and about 200-400 watts of panels for your solar system. What is your budget approximately? That will help picking the best components.

I'm going to get a Samlex Pure Sine Wave Inverter soon, 600watt , around $225 . @ Don Rowe dot com.
I have a Blue Sky controller but am looking at some nice ones by Tri
Metric

I once asked an oltimer what his favorite solar panels were ,,,,,,,he said " The RED ones" Well I had been researching solar pretty heavy and I didn't remember seeing any that were red , I asked what brand they were and he said "a HONDA eu2000i" Soooool , I got one of those and a solar system too ! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Oh My GOSHK !, Phoenix,AZ in the summer....
Are you planning to boondock or stay in campgrounds ?

The best ,and cheapest way to beat that heat is just move a few hundred miles UP
If it was me , I'd leave Phoenix and head up around Flag . Around 5000' , this time of year you should drop 20* !
Then up around the GC north rim country or even Southern Utah when Flag get's too warm. That's 10,000' territory and should be nice even in July and August. If not ,hmm Colorado or Wyoming ????

A Fantastic vent fan would help if you can't move (900 cubic feet a minute),Also there is a company that makes an RV version of a swamp cooler too. Both are low power consumers which will help your battery last longer.
stay tuned
popeye