Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #309

Solo Rvers Club
Hi, all! I just got back from my first trek of 2016. It was my third trip to the HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) East Coast Rally in beautiful Crossville, TN. GREAT group of folks, an excellent program and wonderful food. EVERYBODY is welcome at an HDT rally so if you've ever thought (realized) that your 5er is "driving" your tow vehicle (instead of the other way around) this is the rally you need to attend. Attendance had virtually doubled from 2015 so, lots of RVers are seeing the benefits of having an HDT as their tow vehicle. The National HDT will be in Hutchinson, KS in October. I hope to see some of you there!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
Hi, all! I just got back from my first trek of 2016. It was my third trip to the HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) East Coast Rally in beautiful Crossville, TN. GREAT group of folks, an excellent program and wonderful food. EVERYBODY is welcome at an HDT rally so if you've ever thought (realized) that your 5er is "driving" your tow vehicle (instead of the other way around) this is the rally you need to attend. Attendance had virtually doubled from 2015 so, lots of RVers are seeing the benefits of having an HDT as their tow vehicle. The National HDT will be in Hutchinson, KS in October. I hope to see some of you there!
Such a small world!! Crossville is where I am heading next week to see my sister. Have not heard of the HDT East Coast Rally. When you say Heavy Duty Truck are you referring to Pickups? Or Semi?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #311

Solo Rvers Club
Ford, Dodge and GMC's wording of "Super Duty" or "Heavy Duty" on their pickup trucks, is just marketing language. By Federal definition, true Heavy Duty Trucks are either Class 7 (GVWR 26,001~33,000 pounds) or Class 8 (GVWR 33,001 and up). HDTs are engineered and built to provide 1,000,000 miles of service with only routine service (basically fluid and filter changes). Engine warranties are "only" 500,000 miles so, commercial drivers often sell their rig when it hits 500,000 miles (trannies are warranted for 750,000 miles). A used (but in good condition) Class 8 semi can be picked up for half (or less) of what you'd pay for a high-end diesel pick up. There will be additional costs in "de-commercializing" a semi, making it suitable for use as an RV hauler but, once converted, the HDT has basically been put on early retirement as RV use is MUCH less strenuous than commercial service. Since commercial drivers are behind the wheel for 10 (or more) hours, 5 ~ 7 days a week, driver comfort is NOT taken lightly. Seats and suspension are MUCH better in an HDT than in any pickup. Gregg Shields at RVHaulers.ca does some amazing conversions. He has lots of good videos of the conversion process on his YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=rvhaulers.ca

As I said earlier, EVERYBODY is welcome at an HDT Rally. I drove to Crossville, TN in my Prius and stayed in a camping cabin at Deer Run the first time I attended in 2014. If you're interested in something that's MUCH better than a pickup truck, attending a HDT Rally is the place where you can learn what you'll need to know to "graduate" to a real truck! Attendees usually have the chance to ride in and even drive a Class 8 semi too.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #312

OK...got it. I do know the difference between the ride of a pick up and a commercial truck. As an over-the-road driver for the last 46 years, I have spent my share of hours in the drivers seat. I was forced into retirement last month when a 4 wheeler totaled my Pete. I had 1,965,000 or so miles on it and I had put every one of them on it. Anyway, I have been to the conversion forums and found them interesting. It does seem that Freightliners or Volvos are the trucks of choice to convert. Too bad as the drive train on my truck did not seem to be harmed in any way. I had a Signature 600 Cummins with an 18 double over and 355 rears. Oh well, I can always get in my baby diesel Dodge Ram 3500 dually with 6 speed and drive up and down the road. Thanks for the info on the rally in Crossville, it might be fun to hit it next year.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #313

Solo Rvers Club
Volvo trucks seem to be the favorite for RV hauler conversions. I'm told that this is because the Volvos give the nicest ride and, have an excellent focus on building the safest trucks. Gregg Shields of RVHaulers.ca convert ONLY Volvos. That said, I've seen just about every truck brand at the HDT rallies I've attended.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #314

anyone know where I might meet others that are camping "small", and what I mean by that, is small trucks with DIY campers or just the built-in bed/storage in bed of truck?

I am working on mine now. I truly want to do this. My truck is a Mazda B3000 and I have taken good care of it since it was new in '94. I am a light-weight, require very little to be happy. Non-materialistic. I just need to build my "area" so it's secure for overnights, and I have what I absolutely need.

I do live on retirement money, and need to watch my expenses. I've learned to do this because I was actually homeless for 3 months. I stayed in a shelter, and I have to say I am grateful for that experience. When I turned 62 (64 come Dec.) I took my SS retirement.

Now I have more than I need in an apartment, with nice neighbors, health facilities closeby, shopping, all I "want" and all I need. But I long for adventure, and ever-changing days. I want to work at least part-time (work-camping/seasonal jobs at State Parks etc.) The Seasonal attract me the most. I don't want to "move" camps every week or so.

Anyone in my boat (my type of situation/small camper/trailer/sleeper?

I'm very active, and want to be more so. Photography, hiking, biking, walks, swimming, site-seeing, stargazing, I want it all. I get out as often here where I live, but it's not enough. I love seeing new places, I guess I am a gypsy at heart. I'm in great health, into getting more and more into all things healthy (healthy imo) nutrition.

I love to read, and I am rigging my truck to be able to keep my electronics charged up. I'll show you a video that is "sort of" what I want and am working on putting a bedliner in my truck first. I'm doing a paint-on. Anyway, would love to meet others of my kind Denise

PS any input, thoughts, suggestions, ideas so, very welcome

Here's something similar, just an idea at this point. I'm more into my own designs
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:15 AM   #315

Check out CheapRVLiving.com
Old 09-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
thank you popeye, I will denise
Old 09-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #317

YW
The Vandwelling forums on the CRVL site are a wealth of information for what you want to do. Many knowledgeable friendly folks with all types of rigs .No such thing as a dumb question. You can read without signing up but join in . Newcomers are always welcome !
Tell 'em the little spinach eater sent ya !
See ya there
Old 09-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #318

Quote:
YW
The Vandwelling forums on the CRVL site are a wealth of information for what you want to do. Many knowledgeable friendly folks with all types of rigs .No such thing as a dumb question. You can read without signing up but join in . Newcomers are always welcome !
Tell 'em the little spinach eater sent ya !
See ya there
Really can't thank you enough I've registered, done a bio, and a couple of posts to introduce myself, and also checked in with the ladies forum. I am trying to handle this myself because I don't have a man that is a friend that can help me. I don't need one either. All the info is online, and then I do talk to people in places like Home Depot etc. for their input.

Yes, on the wealth of information!! I just don't want to live my live in a little box of an apartment, and figure there is a way for me to keep "living". I do want to do seasonal work, think I mentioned that to supplement my income, but also, to feel productive and keep busy with something that makes me feel good about myself.

There are so many places that need either volunteers, or hopefully employees and older and bolder are finding places everyday that they are appreciated

Thanks again Popeye, hope to see you over at CRVL Denise
Old 12-28-2018, 02:45 AM   #319

Quote:
Neat, thanks. To bad that this thread is abandoned.
ihavenoidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #320

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavenoidea View Post
Neat, thanks. To bad that this thread is abandoned.

Start a new thread it’s just a thread, better to start a new one and you can be the OP.