Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sturgis Trip

I mentioned in an earlier thread about my Sturgis trip to South Dakota. I will be camping at Whistler Gulch Campground in Deadwood. Any information on this campground or sights to see around this area that u would recommend would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for good motorcycle riding roads and sights. Thanks.
HPYCAMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #2

We will be there as well but staying farther south in Custer's Gulch near Custer (of course) I am looking forward to some day trips to see as much of the sites as we can. I figure I will talk to some of the people there and find out most of what I need. I am looking forward to a real good time.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Take a look at several of the SD posts in the Camping and Locations Forum. There is a lot of neat stuff to see and do, and most of it IS NOT in Sturgis...for a biker or your toad, Spearfish Canyon, Scenic Drive and Iron Mtn Rd in Custer State Park, bison herds on the wildlife loop in the same park. Mt Rushmore (evening ceremony and lighting), the badlands on motorcycle.

Then have your beer in the evening at Sturgis.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We will be staying in Hill City, once you arrive their will be maps of the local rides. Riding is incredible.

Needles Highway, Custer State Park Wildlife loop, Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway, Mount Rushmore and Lead are some of the great things to see.

Spearfish I recommend in the afternoon as it is cooler ride for a hot afternoon ride, Wildlife Loop I would recommend in the morning as it is much slower riding and warmer.

All of the above are easy proximity other than Devil's Tower, I would set Devil's Tower as a day by itself and take the WY route north to Devil's Tower and go onto Hulett, WY and then to Belle Fouche on your way back. Maybe make a stop in Sturgis if you are tired of the riding that day for a break before returning to your spot.

You will find the riding wonderful and SD does a great job of cleaning the sediment along intersections.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all for the information. Can't wait to get there.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #6

Went through Sturgis about a hour ago. There are a few tents/vendors already set up. Mostly "T" shirts. Bars are wide open.

Get a Black Hills map from your campground/motel, they all have them. Start your engine, exit the campground, and head out. Any direction you want to go will have many things to see and do. Most day rides will take about 6 hours and maybe 300 miles.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
We will be staying in Hill City, once you arrive their will be maps of the local rides. Riding is incredible.

Needles Highway, Custer State Park Wildlife loop, Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway, Mount Rushmore and Lead are some of the great things to see.

Spearfish I recommend in the afternoon as it is cooler ride for a hot afternoon ride, Wildlife Loop I would recommend in the morning as it is much slower riding and warmer.

All of the above are easy proximity other than Devil's Tower, I would set Devil's Tower as a day by itself and take the WY route north to Devil's Tower and go onto Hulett, WY and then to Belle Fouche on your way back. Maybe make a stop in Sturgis if you are tired of the riding that day for a break before returning to your spot.

You will find the riding wonderful and SD does a great job of cleaning the sediment along intersections.
X2, this guy knows his way around. Now is the time to go if you're going for the ride, August 3-11 if you're going for the party. Two-wheelers bring a LOT of money to the area and the locals take good care of their guests, unless they get stupid.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sturgis Bound

We will be leaving York PA for our trip this year to Sturgis. We are staying at Rush No More Campgrounds which is south of Sturgis by 10 or more miles...Full pull thru with a 36 ft unit and 18 ft trailer.

Excited for the drive as we will be doing the 1600 mile trip in 3 days or so. Rig is as ready as she will ever be..2000 HR Endeavor....Two HDs in the trailer.

Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Badlands..Custer...Deadwood...we will use the bus from the Campground at night to visit it maybe two times...not a big drinker and when I am not and many are its almost to funny to watch.

Hope all of you have a safe drive..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome and trailer.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	42636   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	42637  

Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
We will be leaving York PA for our trip this year to Sturgis. We are staying at Rush No More Campgrounds which is south of Sturgis by 10 or more miles...Full pull thru with a 36 ft unit and 18 ft trailer.

Excited for the drive as we will be doing the 1600 mile trip in 3 days or so. Rig is as ready as she will ever be..2000 HR Endeavor....Two HDs in the trailer.

Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Badlands..Custer...Deadwood...we will use the bus from the Campground at night to visit it maybe two times...not a big drinker and when I am not and many are its almost to funny to watch.

Hope all of you have a safe drive..
Sounds like fun, enjoy the 'ambiance' and take lots of pictures. Ride aware, they're all out to kill us.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

If you are into old bones, I would suggest a trip to Hot Springs and the mammoth site to see an active recovery of mammoth bones. You can start the wildlife loop in Custer Park, drop off the loop and go to Hot Springs and then return to to the loop. If you want to see buffalo, be sure to travel Alt 16 as far as the Game Lodge.

I don't ride a bike but from what I saw, the area must be a biker's dream.

I highly recommend Custer's Gulch CG. I just spent about 2 1/2 weeks there and it is a great park. I suggest a water filter to filter out sediments. But then, I use a water filter at all campgrounds.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #11

Getting the Outlaw ready to go to Sturgis!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3855670050.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	43130
Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #12

I'd recommend getting up early and doing your rides then. The roads will be pretty clear as all the partiers are sleeping off the night before.
Just pick up a map and enjoy all the different rides.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #13

We can not get there early so we are going to stay for several days after to take some rides and relax. The long range weather looks good right now. Can't wait.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sturgis Trip

Well I made it back from Sturgis to Birmingham with no problem with the chassis. The box on the other hand failed to function properly. The large slide would not extend due to a broken cable. This made it difficult for me and my brother when it came to walking around in the cabin. The small curb side slide worked fine and gave us a little room for getting around. My garage door failed also. It would come down but not go up without my brother giving it a little help by lifting it as I operated the switch. My leveling jacks failed to operate. I really needed them for this trip as no site in all three campgrounds were level. Everything else worked ok considering it is a Gulf Stream Super C toy hauler probably made on a Monday.

Sturgis was great. The weather was outstanding for riding, cool in the am and warmer in the pm. Whistlers Gultch cg in Deadwood was nice with all the proper hook ups needed. The only problem was getting back up the hill from the laundry, restroom, and pool area. We got a little winded walking back up the hill. Next time I'll ask for a spot closer to the office.

We left Deadwood for Estes Park, Co for two days of riding in the mountains. We stayed one night in Estes Park Riverview Rv park and two nights in Greeley. Word to the wise, these campgrounds in the area book up on the weekends, get reservations. We saw many RVs in the Wal Mart parking lot in Loveland. Must be the overflow area. We noted that several were there more than one night.

The ride through Rocky Mountain Park was outstanding until we got to the very top. The weather turned against us. We encountered sleet, rain, and hail. We immediately headed down as quickly and safely as possible, it was darn cold up there.

I highly recommed both areas for motorcycle riding and RVing/camping. Will do it all again without doubt. A special thanks to all who recommended places to ride and visit.