Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #1

Testing Brake Lights

I’m sure there’s a really obvious answer - but how do you check your brake lights when solo camping?

I always make sure my running lights are on as part of my pre-trip inspection and that my directionals are working. But when I’m traveling solo - I can’t figure out how to test my brake lights!
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 07:27 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be able to see the brake light reflection of your tow vehicle on the front of your trailer in your rear view mirror especially in low light conditions. If your tow vehicle stop lights are working then confirm the trailer.

The emergency flasher lights use the same wiring in your trailer as the brake lights in almost all cases. If the tow vehicle brake lights are working and the emergency flashers are working on the trailer then you can have high confidence that the brake lights on the trailer work.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
You should be able to see the brake light reflection of your tow vehicle on the front of your trailer in your rear view mirror especially in low light conditions. If your tow vehicle stop lights are working then confirm the trailer.

The emergency flasher lights use the same wiring in your trailer as the brake lights in almost all cases. If the tow vehicle brake lights are working and the emergency flashers are working on the trailer then you can have high confidence that the brake lights on the trailer work.
Thank you! I’ve always assumed if my tow vehicle brake lights are working and all other lights are working on my TT then the brake lights will be working on the TT as well. But assumptions can get one into trouble. I’ll add checking hazard lights working on my TT as one more layer of confidence.

Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Just a thought, that I recently thought... You could use your smartphone video camera and set the phone camera pointing at the tail lights, start recording, go inside the RV and do the turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, and tail lights. Then stop the video and bring the camera phone back inside and sit down and watch the video. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #5

They sell prop rods specifically for this. Truck drivers use them to do a walk around to make sure that the brake lights work. In some jurisdictions the troopers will ask to see the prop rod during a roadside inspection on a commercial vehicle, as the prop rod is necessary for a proper pre-trip inspection.

You could likely make your own prop rod to shove between the front of the seat and the brake pedal, or find one in the proper size on Amazon.

Just one example: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-21520-T...7168135&sr=8-1
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Do it at night. You should be able to see them light up in the dark looking in the side mirrors.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
All of my trailers used the same bulb for signals as brake lights, so I just put on my 4 way flashers and do a walk around.

Kick tires, check hitch and safety chains, look at the lights, get in and go
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #8

some of these solutions only work when you don't have separate fuses in the tow vehicle for the trailer stop, tail and left/right signals.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #9

Another way to check the lights at the rear of your trailer is to ask someone to help. Even traveling solo there are other people around as you shop for groceries, get fuel, etc. Don't be shy about asking for a safety check if needed.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #10

DIY... from Boyz On A Budget

Piece of wood (cover ends with a towel) b/t the seat and pedal (or anything that will depress the brake pedal, ) usually about 15" from the seat to the pedal (your distance may vary)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
They sell prop rods specifically for this. Truck drivers use them to do a walk around to make sure that the brake lights work. In some jurisdictions the troopers will ask to see the prop rod during a roadside inspection on a commercial vehicle, as the prop rod is necessary for a proper pre-trip inspection.

You could likely make your own prop rod to shove between the front of the seat and the brake pedal, or find one in the proper size on Amazon.

Just one example: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-21520-T...7168135&sr=8-1
I drove big truck for nearly 30 years locally, owner operator and private fleet. This is the first I've heard of someone carrying a prop rod for this. When pretripping I would just fully engage the trailer brakes(there is a detent at full engagement that holds the brakes on without holding on to it) to light up the brake lights. I have been through several DOT level one inspections in several states and BC in Canada. No one ever asked to see a prop rod.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #12
Cat

Many of the new trucks have a smart connector. My 2015 F150 will let me know if one of the lights is not working. I would guess that the other major truck manufactures would have a similar hitch. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
some of these solutions only work when you don't have separate fuses in the tow vehicle for the trailer stop, tail and left/right signals.
With a name like TravelSolo you must face this situation regularly. How do you test your brake lights?

Thanks to those who replied. I’m going to experiment with your suggestions and if I’m not satisfied I appreciate the Amazon link. The rock I tried didn’t quite do the job. ;-)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
With a name like TravelSolo you must face this situation regularly. How do you test your brake lights?

Thanks to those who replied. I’m going to experiment with your suggestions and if I’m not satisfied I appreciate the Amazon link. The rock I tried didn’t quite do the job. ;-)
I look for reflections usually. I'm the darker hours I just look in the rear camera screen for the glow

Tags
brake, brake lights, light, lights, test